Oct 30, 2009, 3:53 PM EDT
Manager Charlie Manuel announced Friday that Joe Blanton would start Game 4 for the Phillies on Sunday, essentially setting his rotation for the rest of October.
The guess going in was that the Phillies would try to get away with using Cliff Lee in Games 1, 4 and 7. Blanton still figured to start Game 5 in that arrangement, since the team wouldn’t want to use both Pedro Martinez and Cole Hamels on short rest.
But no one in red will start on short rest now. After Lee pitches in Game 5, it’s safe to assume that the Phillies will go back to Martinez in Game 6 and Hamels in Game 7 on normal rest.
Since the Phillies have bared their hand, we’ll have to wait and see if the Yankees follow suit. The assumption was that the Yankees were leaning towards pitching CC Sabathia on short rest in Game 4 and going to Chad Gaudin in Game 5, with A.J. Burnett following on regular rest in Game 6.
The Yankees could back down now and choose the same cautious route that the Phillies have selected. That would involve starting Gaudin in Game 4 and following with Sabathia, Burnett and Andy Pettitte, all on normal rest.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 7
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 22
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 38
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (187)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)