Oct 30, 2009, 3:53 PM EDT
Manager Charlie Manuel announced Friday that Joe Blanton would start Game 4 for the Phillies on Sunday, essentially setting his rotation for the rest of October.
The guess going in was that the Phillies would try to get away with using Cliff Lee in Games 1, 4 and 7. Blanton still figured to start Game 5 in that arrangement, since the team wouldn’t want to use both Pedro Martinez and Cole Hamels on short rest.
But no one in red will start on short rest now. After Lee pitches in Game 5, it’s safe to assume that the Phillies will go back to Martinez in Game 6 and Hamels in Game 7 on normal rest.
Since the Phillies have bared their hand, we’ll have to wait and see if the Yankees follow suit. The assumption was that the Yankees were leaning towards pitching CC Sabathia on short rest in Game 4 and going to Chad Gaudin in Game 5, with A.J. Burnett following on regular rest in Game 6.
The Yankees could back down now and choose the same cautious route that the Phillies have selected. That would involve starting Gaudin in Game 4 and following with Sabathia, Burnett and Andy Pettitte, all on normal rest.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 47
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 85
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (96)