What was Jeter thinking with that bunt anyway?

Oct 30, 2009, 10:25 AM EDT

Like the bad calls mentioned earlier, Jeter’s bunt attempt with two strikes on him in the seventh ended up not making a difference, but my mouth was agape when he tried to lay it down all the same.  What were you thinking, Derek? Did Girardi actually give you the bunt sign with two strikes and a rally brewing?

“That was me. That was stupid. I had the bunt early on and it was taken off, but I thought I would try to do it. It was dumb for me to try and do it with two strikes.”

I suppose you can go one of two ways with this: believe that Jeter thinks he’s invincible and can get away with risky-to-the-point-of-ridiculous plays, or alternatively, believe that for as easy as they make this game look sometimes, it’s crazy out there, especially in the postseason, and even the greatest of ballplayers lose their gravity once in awhile and make a bad decision.

Given the fun I’ve had with Jeter in this space the past some of you may be surprised to hear that I believe the latter.  But the fact is that Jeter doesn’t have a long rap sheet of dumb plays over the course of his career, so he can be excused for the rare brain lock.

Especially considering that A.J. Burnett and Mariano Rivera rendered it harmless.

1. comeonman - Oct 30, 2009 at 10:50 AM

THIS IS A TOTAL NON-ISSUE IN NEW YORK, JETER WILL GET A PASS EVERYTIME ON A SCREW UP LIKE THIS FOR TWO REASON’S, HE ALWAY’S
    SCARIFICES HIMSELF AND WILL ALWAYS MAKE THE RIGHT PLAY AND
    HE HAS DONE “IT” BEFORE AND WILL DO “IT” AGAIN, WHATEVER “IT”
    IS.WE KNOW WHAT JETER IS TO THE YANKEES IN NEW YORK AND WE DON’T QUESTION IT , EVER.IN GOD YOU TRUST, IN JETER WE TRUST!!!!
    HERE COME THE YANKEES…………….

2. comeonman - Oct 30, 2009 at 10:53 AM

SCARIFICES HIMSELF AND WILL ALWAYS MAKE THE RIGHT PLAY AND
    HE HAS DONE “IT” BEFORE AND WILL DO “IT” AGAIN, WHATEVER “IT”
    HERE COME THE YANKEES…………….

3. Josh in DC - Oct 30, 2009 at 12:03 PM

How dare anyone say something bad about Jeter? Chuck Norris wishes he could be Derek Jeter. Oh, wait, my caps lock key is all wrong. Let me try this again.
    HOW DARE ANYONE SAY SOMETHING BAD ABOUT jETER????!!!! HE’S THE BEST! cHUCK nORRIS IS NTING COMPARED TO OUR CAPTAIN!! ALL YOU HATERS HATE HIM BECAUSE HE’S SO GREA.T!!!!!!

4. Joe - Oct 30, 2009 at 12:14 PM

I believe it’s spelled “HATER’S.”
    I don’t think the bunt was a particularly good call with zero strikes or one strike, either. That bit’s on Girardi.

5. Pato - Oct 30, 2009 at 12:30 PM

No, it’s “haters.” The two-strike bunt was probably a bad call, but if it worked, he’d have been lauded for his courage to bunt w/2 strikes. Jeter usually bunts well, so I don’t think Girardi was wrong to put it on. Pedro was throwing him junk on the first 2 pitches to make it harder to bunt, so maybe he thought he’d get a better pitch w/2 strikes since you wouldn’t think he’d bunt. It was a high risk play for sure, he’s just lucky it wasn’t a factor.

6. Church of the Perpetually Outraged - Oct 30, 2009 at 1:09 PM

runners on 1st and 2nd with no outs, it’s only the right call if you are playing for one run, and even then I think it’s only one additional percentage point added to your win expectancy. If you are playing for multiple runs, it significantly reduces the WE.
    There’s also a great (albeit long) article on fangraphs about when you should and shouldn’t bunt:

7. FLoyd - Oct 30, 2009 at 1:53 PM

Hm. Never knew that “alway’s” (or, more correctly, ALWAY’S) has an apostrophe in it. But it must, for I always defer to the superior intelligence of Yankee fans. Particularly those wise enough to type in all caps, so we make sure to hear their message.

8. Go Yanks - Oct 30, 2009 at 2:01 PM

An apostrophe is used to make the noun possesive… like John’s car or your family’s house, a batter’s eye, etc… puttig it on words like always is incorrect

9. scatterbrian - Oct 30, 2009 at 2:07 PM

comeonman:
    Dude, keyboards are really cheap. If your caps lock key is stuck or broken, bite the bullet and get a new one. Here are a bunch for under $10:

10. comeonman - Oct 30, 2009 at 2:09 PM

WOW, YOU ARE SO SMART, YOU HAVE TO SHOW EVERYONE, YOU KNOW WHAT THAT REALLY SAY’S IS YOU HAVE ISSUE’S,Didn’t know I was taking a test, does it make you feel like a BIG MAN because you corrected me, now go away LADY, MEN are talking baseball.FLOYD YOU ARE A BIG DOUCHE AND YOU TALK ABOUT YANKEE FANS,YOU ARE A BIG LOSER.

11. smsetnor - Oct 30, 2009 at 2:16 PM

Jeter self-criticizes better than anyone else in the league.

12. comeonman - Oct 30, 2009 at 2:18 PM

THANKS FOR THE BASEBALL INFO. YOU SHOULD HAVE A TALK WITH FLOYD.

13. smsetnor - Oct 30, 2009 at 2:21 PM

And also, in fast-pitch softball (I know there’s a huge difference) I’m about 50/50 on bunting with 2 strikes. Which makes for a .500 avg in that situation. So I’m happy with that. People back off, give you some more space and it looks pretty damn inviting. Jeter probably saw the same thing. Considering he probably only has a 3-in-10 chance of getting on safely with contact (referring to a normalized BABIP here), he probably felt like he had a better chance of laying down a good bunt.
    I don’t think it’s too atrocious I guess? Still, I’m not all into sacrifices either. But I don’t think most ball players know/care about the numbers to think that way (accusing finger point towards Frenchie).

14. comeonman - Oct 30, 2009 at 2:26 PM

THANKS FOR THE INFO, DO YOU HAVE ANYTHING TO ADD ABOUT THE JETER BUNT, THAT WAS THE TOPIC OF DISCUSSION, NOT SPELLING AND GRAMMER.
    BY THE WAY, I HAVE REMOVED MY CAPS LOCK BUTTON TO SHOW MY DEFIANCE.
    I BELIEVE THIS IS AMERICA, IT IS MY RIGHT.
    BUH BYE

15. tanikaze - Oct 30, 2009 at 2:28 PM

Didn’t Reggie get suspended for bunting against orders?

16. Josh in DC - Oct 30, 2009 at 2:35 PM

This is outstanding.

17. Floyd - Oct 30, 2009 at 4:44 PM

First of all, comeonman, it’s interesting that you should take people to task for going off topic, since you do so frequently in other threads. For example, your Yankee-related comment on Craig’s Jason Bay post. What do the Yankees have to do with the Red Sox’s roster?
    Second, your atrocious grammar and spelling, and your seeming obliviousness to netiquette (Hint: ALL CAPS IS POOR FORM) would probably pass without comment if you didn’t come off as a sanctimonious ass. However, if you are going to convey a holier-than-thou attitude in every post, then you should expect that people will make fun of you when you write like a third grader.
    Of course, if you are a third grader, let us all know, and we’ll leave you alone.

18. Matt - Oct 30, 2009 at 5:58 PM

Worst. Decision. Ever. I’m very glad that this decision didn’t end up hurting the Yankees, but this was just an awful call by Jeter.

19. Michael - Oct 30, 2009 at 8:25 PM

If Jeter gets that bunt down, commentators and sportswriters everywhere lead with “only Jeter would have the confidence in his abilities to make a game-busting play like that, and the ability to make sure he got it done.”
    When he doesn’t…pretty much silence.

20. Chris W - Oct 31, 2009 at 3:33 AM

Wow–a lot of these commenters are fucking stupid (e.g. the ones giving grammatical lessons in re: an ironic apostrophe joke, and the dude typing in all caps)

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win