Oct 30, 2009, 10:25 AM EDT
Like the bad calls mentioned earlier, Jeter’s bunt attempt with two strikes on him in the seventh ended up not making a difference, but my mouth was agape when he tried to lay it down all the same. What were you thinking, Derek? Did Girardi actually give you the bunt sign with two strikes and a rally brewing?
“That was me. That was stupid. I had the bunt early on and it was taken off, but I thought I would try to do it. It was dumb for me to try and do it with two strikes.”
I suppose you can go one of two ways with this: believe that Jeter thinks he’s invincible and can get away with risky-to-the-point-of-ridiculous plays, or alternatively, believe that for as easy as they make this game look sometimes, it’s crazy out there, especially in the postseason, and even the greatest of ballplayers lose their gravity once in awhile and make a bad decision.
Given the fun I’ve had with Jeter in this space the past some of you may be surprised to hear that I believe the latter. But the fact is that Jeter doesn’t have a long rap sheet of dumb plays over the course of his career, so he can be excused for the rare brain lock.
Especially considering that A.J. Burnett and Mariano Rivera rendered it harmless.
- Cliff Lee exits start with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 10
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 46
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 129
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (129)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (124)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)