Yankee Stadium has been a Mausoleum

Oct 30, 2009, 10:55 AM EDT

It’s hard to truly gauge crowd noise from the TV broadcast. TBS, for example, is notorious for over-amplifying the crowd via some unique mic placement (they did it with the Braves for years and still do it now that they broadcast national games).  At the same time, the Indians broadcasts I watch most nights during the summer seem unnaturally quiet compared to the way I know that ballpark sounds in person.

But despite the vagaries of technology, it’s been pretty obvious how quiet Yankee Stadium was during the first two games of the Series (where is this guy?).  Buck and McCarver talked about it at length last night, and today FOX’s Ken Rosenthal gets the Phillies’ take on it:

Thank goodness the World Series is leaving New York so we can get a little atmosphere.

“Our ballpark is so loud and rowdy, I was really expecting some of that here,” Phillies shortstop Jimmy Rollins said. “It was very tame and civil.”

…From mystique and aura to tame and civil. What has the Bronx come to?

“Expensive tickets running loud people out,” Rollins said, referring to the high prices at the new Yankee Stadium . . .I asked the three Phillies outfielders in Game 1 — Ben Francisco, Shane Victorino and Jayson Werth — if they had heard any abuse from the fans.

“Crickets,” one of the outfielders said, and I don’t even know why I am granting him anonymity; it’s not like revealing his identity would put him in any danger.

I’ve certainly noticed the price-the-passionate-fans-out effect in other venues.  Ohio State basketball games used to be raucous before they moved into a big plush and expensive arena a decade ago.  Almost every new NFL stadium has rendered the previous roar of the home crowd a murmur.

But the Stadium has been loud at times this postseason, so I’m not willing to totally chalk it up to the richies taking over.  There may be some of that — especially considering that the ultra-richies probably buy tickets from the mere super richies for the World Series — but I think the dominating performance by Lee in Game 1 and the stronger than expected outing from Pedro last night had a lot more to do with it.  There has yet to be an instance in either game where Yankees fans had justification to go crazy so, not surprisingly, they haven’t gone crazy.

All of that said, I expect Philly to be positively insane tomorrow night. I mean, even if nothing exciting happens on the field, the roar of Philly fans yelling about how no one believes in them will be deafening enough on its own.

1. Kevin - Oct 30, 2009 at 2:30 PM

I have been to every home game during these playoffs and I am disgusted to say that these articles are correct. There is no longer a home field advantage at Yankee Stadium. The new stadium is garbage. That being said screw all you class-less, jacka$$, ex-con, scumbag Philly fans. Fox needs to fire Joe Buck!!!!!!!!!

2. Crash - Oct 30, 2009 at 2:33 PM

It’s the World Series! The ‘Little Sisters of the Poor’ is a rivalry. Of course maybe that point of view is why it’s so quiet.

3. Josh in DC - Oct 30, 2009 at 2:45 PM

That thing about cheering every pop fly … I hear that during many playoff games. And opening day. Can’t believe I’m defending Yankee fans.

4. udayton - Oct 30, 2009 at 2:48 PM

With my ticket invitation comes the rule that you’re there until Frank Sinatra sings!

5. jonny5 - Oct 30, 2009 at 2:52 PM

IDIOT, You’ve never been to a Phillies game. This isn’t what you get at a phills game. You must be confused with Eagles games from the sixties moron. Don’t believe everything you read. I’ve never heard so much uppity bs over baseball until we had to play the NY Yankees. Gods honest truth. Never heard this crap with Mets Fans, Dodgers Fans, Rays Fans. No wonder NYC smells like a dumpster….. All the Bullcrap you fans have rolling out of your “moufs”.

6. Joe - Oct 30, 2009 at 3:09 PM

Yes, one hears cheers for pop flys in every stadium, but Yankee stadium seems the worst this year (I’ve seen games in 8 different stadiums this year). The novice fan will watch the ball and, from a fan’s perspective, it seem as though a fly ball is going, going gone.
    The very first MLB game I saw was in Metropolitan Stadium in MN. Killebrew hit a fly ball and I started cheering, thinking that it was a HR. My dad told me to watch the fielders on any fly ball and you’ll know if it’s going out or if it’s going to get between fielders. I’ve followed this advise and it works everytime.

7. philthy sux - Oct 30, 2009 at 3:21 PM

Meanwhile, the Yankees break attendance records every year and the philthy fans just showed up out of nowhere when their team started to win. they have classless, animal fans.

8. Jack O'Lantern - Oct 30, 2009 at 3:30 PM

Reading some of these posts is laughable — so now attending a baseball game is something esoteric? “One only cheers at the precise moment the ball goes over the wall…” “How gauche, these casual fans…” “Clapping correctly is essential…”
    Just watch the frickin’ games & shut up.

9. Evelyn Bettencourt - Oct 30, 2009 at 3:31 PM

I absolutely love the Yankees for them having God Bless America (with the preamble) sang at their games. I’m not sure if its network TV that sometimes cuts it out due to revenue issues, but when it is broadcast I swell with pride and respect New York all the more. Watching it being sung at Game One brought tears to my eyes and brought back again that sense of togetherness we behold as a nation. The Yankees should always make sure the performance of this song is broadcast for all of us coast to coast during games that bear the stature of championship and World Series caliber.

10. funnystuff - Oct 30, 2009 at 3:33 PM

If you think YS was loud wait until you get to CBP. Take some notes yankees fans. Philly knows how to cheer, they expect their team to play to win, not merely get dressed like the yank fans think. They act as if they are owed a world series title for some ridiculous reason.

11. Billy b - Oct 30, 2009 at 3:41 PM

Calcaterra is on Q with the “Yankees suck” article for the day. Must suck to have a team run your life.

12. Simon DelMonte - Oct 30, 2009 at 3:43 PM

If only AJ could find a few thousand pies for the fans. Because I the piethrowing, silly as it might seem, has done a lot to help make playing baseball fun for the Yankees.

13. Joe - Oct 30, 2009 at 3:58 PM

I like it, too, except for one thing. The public address announcer always asks everyone to remove their head covers. This is incorrect. One should remove a head cover only for the playing of the national anthem; removing one’s head cover for any other song is showing disrepect for the NA.
    I was at the first ALDS game between the Twins and Yanks and the same announcement was made over the PA system. Then the in-stadium camera showed the West Point cadets in attendance at the game and everyone of them was wearing his/her head cover. They knew better. Too bad the Yank front office doesn’t know this.

14. Anthony - Oct 30, 2009 at 4:15 PM

i completley agree with you. it seems like they are making the Yankee name or logo a freaking fashion statement again. you get those stupid bandwaggon fans jumping on board and the true die hard fans like myself are left sitting in a bar somewhere instead of being at the game because the stupid celebrities wanna be pampered at a freaking baseball game, just flat out stupid. rip those seats out and move the BLEACHER CREATERS down there, i bet that place will be loader than any other stadium in the MLB. (note..please excuse spelling errors I’m not the best at the english language, and I have been a Yankee fan since birth and I dont get why we needed a new stadium in the first place).

15. Theo - Oct 30, 2009 at 4:28 PM

I was at game 2 last night, 200’s level. It was much quieter than games at the old stadium. When AJ had 2 strikes 2 outs, my group along with the first few rows stood up to clap, just like they have done at the stadium since Guidry, and we were all yelled at by fellow Yankee fans. Every 2 strike pitch we were yelled at “down in front!” and “sit the F*** down”. We tried to start chants, claps, it was like pulling teeth. Some of those who actually were cheering turned and yelled back, “if you are not going to cheer at the World Series stay home”. Philly fans in our section actually asked me if it was always like this, they felt bad for us. The only time the crowd went really nuts is when Mo Rivera came in for the 8th and 9th. Very strange crowd, I have never seen a home crowd like this before at any sporting event. ALCS game 1 was not like this.

16. Joe - Oct 30, 2009 at 4:28 PM

Hey, Yankee fans and other fans of big spending teams. You can’t have your cake and eat it, too. Every off-season, you want your teams to sign every big name FA and then complain when the team raises ticket and concession prices. Duh. What did you expect? A free lunch?
    Look, replace CC, AJ, and Teixeira with Hughes, Chamberlain, & Duncan and what have you? A team that’s as good as the Royals…maybe.
    Preserve baseball with two changes to the players’ union contract. No FA until 8 full seasons in the MLB and no team may sign more than one class A FA during any season. Also, MLB needs to do something about trades to big market teams by small market teams of stars. Where would Cleveland be with CC, Lee, and Martinez? Probably in the the post season.
    What could’ve been the Royals starting OF? Beltran, Damon, and Ibanez.
    Gotta get FA and fire-sale trades under control or the MLB will be left with 10 or so teams.

17. smsetnor - Oct 30, 2009 at 4:31 PM

I’m not knocking or propping up any fanbase. Just the fake fans that show up for big games that suck out home field advantage. (See the Warriors playoff run a couple of years ago for a prime example.)
    These more casual fans just don’t cheer as well as your average die-hard who goes to multiple games over the season.

18. chris - Oct 30, 2009 at 4:35 PM

You btter look again, they had sales to get fans into seats this year in NYC and still didn’t sell out a lot of games.

19. Kevin - Oct 30, 2009 at 4:43 PM

I got into two fights with Yankees fans in game 1 about standing up. These dipsh!its need to stay home and allow the real fans to get to the game. I don’t quite understand how when we moved stadiums the upper deck prices remained nearly the same, but now it is filled with a bunch of lame “down in front” type fans. What happened?? If these clowns are going to yell at me for standing up in game 6 and 7 (if necessary), I am going to yell right back in their faces. I guarantee I am much louder than them. LET”S GO YANKEES!!!

20. Joe - Oct 30, 2009 at 4:46 PM

No, dummy, one doesn’t cheer at the moment the ball clears the fence, but one doesn’t cheer a popout to the shortstop either and that’s what novice fans cheer, because they don’t realize that their perspective on the game may make it appear that every fly ball will be a HR.

21. Joe - Oct 30, 2009 at 4:56 PM

Naw, check the attendance records for the last 5 years; the Phils have been in the top half of MLB attendance every year and in the top 5 several of these years. Plus, CBP has far fewer ‘corporate’ season ticket holders than do the Yanks.

22. Min - Oct 30, 2009 at 5:13 PM

I agree with Nez. I was watching Mike Francesa and he said he thinks the quietness at the Stadium is due to the design. I think it is not the same without the roar of the crowd.

23. Victoria - Oct 30, 2009 at 5:14 PM

As a “down in front” fan, I assumed the idiots standing up had never been to a baseball game. Real fans don’t stand unless they have a reason to — like a home run, and amazing play or the end of the game. And not with two strikes, because it always tend to jinx things. Yankee fans, true Yankee fans, are smart enough to sit in the seats they paid for.

24. Joe - Oct 30, 2009 at 5:17 PM

Agree, it’s rude to stand unless something big is happening, such as a play at 3B or HP or a HR or a ball hit into the corner. But standing when an opposing batter has a 2-strike count is bush league.
    Be courteous and polite and consider the other fans. For some fans, standing may be difficult.

25. Kevin - Oct 30, 2009 at 5:21 PM

I repeat – stay home.

All the trade deadline news to know