Yankee Stadium has been a Mausoleum

Oct 30, 2009, 10:55 AM EDT

It’s hard to truly gauge crowd noise from the TV broadcast. TBS, for example, is notorious for over-amplifying the crowd via some unique mic placement (they did it with the Braves for years and still do it now that they broadcast national games).  At the same time, the Indians broadcasts I watch most nights during the summer seem unnaturally quiet compared to the way I know that ballpark sounds in person.

But despite the vagaries of technology, it’s been pretty obvious how quiet Yankee Stadium was during the first two games of the Series (where is this guy?).  Buck and McCarver talked about it at length last night, and today FOX’s Ken Rosenthal gets the Phillies’ take on it:

Thank goodness the World Series is leaving New York so we can get a little atmosphere.

“Our ballpark is so loud and rowdy, I was really expecting some of that here,” Phillies shortstop Jimmy Rollins said. “It was very tame and civil.”

…From mystique and aura to tame and civil. What has the Bronx come to?

“Expensive tickets running loud people out,” Rollins said, referring to the high prices at the new Yankee Stadium . . .I asked the three Phillies outfielders in Game 1 — Ben Francisco, Shane Victorino and Jayson Werth — if they had heard any abuse from the fans.

“Crickets,” one of the outfielders said, and I don’t even know why I am granting him anonymity; it’s not like revealing his identity would put him in any danger.

I’ve certainly noticed the price-the-passionate-fans-out effect in other venues.  Ohio State basketball games used to be raucous before they moved into a big plush and expensive arena a decade ago.  Almost every new NFL stadium has rendered the previous roar of the home crowd a murmur.

But the Stadium has been loud at times this postseason, so I’m not willing to totally chalk it up to the richies taking over.  There may be some of that — especially considering that the ultra-richies probably buy tickets from the mere super richies for the World Series — but I think the dominating performance by Lee in Game 1 and the stronger than expected outing from Pedro last night had a lot more to do with it.  There has yet to be an instance in either game where Yankees fans had justification to go crazy so, not surprisingly, they haven’t gone crazy.

All of that said, I expect Philly to be positively insane tomorrow night. I mean, even if nothing exciting happens on the field, the roar of Philly fans yelling about how no one believes in them will be deafening enough on its own.

1. Mumfordlmh - Oct 31, 2009 at 11:26 AM

I think the high prices (everywhere) has filtered out the most undesirable types. Which is good. Also I read once that they tried to duplicate the noise, excitement of Mile High Stadium, using computers, etc. to “design” in noise. The attempt was a failure. New park is beautiful but dead. The old Spectrum in Philly, (soon to be demolished) was a tremendous place to watch hockey, bb. etc. The crowd noise was unreal. The new place is beautiful, but dead. It just happens. It’s a shame to see empty seats during a series. Im old enough to remember when Sandy Koufax and the Dodgers were in their hayday. During a break, an network flack would toddle around the expensive seats. “Well look who is here today, why it’s Mitzi Gaynor (who was there to plug her latest show). Someone was booted out of the seat for a minute. No way she was attending a game. I have a friend who was a season ticket holder for the Eagles, from Franklin Field, to the Vet, to the new place. Of course he had a huge fee to pay to “claim his seat”. He could not afford it, a loyal fan of 35yrs or more! He was and still is heartbroken. I don’t get too “revved up” anymore for this stuff. I hope the boys in red win, but if they don’t they all go and clip coupons or something. And Cole Hamels is so full of himself I can’t stand it. I think he is a flash in the pan. One good thing about Phils management, they don’t put up with this crap. So Cole straighten out or you will be in Cleveland. ha I wonder if the Mets new park is a dead zone? It’s a shame. Yank fans are among the most loyal and passionate around. I do feel badly for them. And anyone who has been priced out. Know what, I went to a minor league game this summer. The park was built a few yrs ago. I had fun. Watching baseball like it should be watched. Families, fair prices, etc. And yes, the announcers are HORRID. McCarver hasn’t got much of anything right. Sorry for the rant, I’m sad. I’m 65 and I remember what fun pro sports used to be.

2. mumfordlmh - Oct 31, 2009 at 11:34 AM

A follow up on noise. The LA fans are worse. During that series, all you saw was empty seats. And Dodger Stadium is still a classic stadium, beautiful great sight lines, etc. Don’t know if it’s the warm weather or what out there but even the lousy tbs crew was hammering them for it. People in the seats, yawning, etc. I don’t get it. Anyway it gives me more pleasure in our Phillies kicking the LA boys butts two yrs running. The WS? If we win fine, if not I’m ok with it. Had the Dodgers won I would be pulling for any AL team. I like Yank fans. They are loyal, passionate, get on their boys when they come up short etc. All the same things we do. This is the last time Hamels gets a free ride on last year. And A Rod? More games left I know but. And why did Derek bunt on two strikes. Mmmm. Even the greats come up brain dead at times I guess. A suggestion. Ban that skank Kate Hudson. She is another Jessica Simpson. Bad Karma there. Keep her and her has been parents out.

3. mumfordlmh - Oct 31, 2009 at 11:41 AM

Lets hope it does not. Its a typical fact of life in this country. The rich get all the breaks etc. The loyal fans who buy the tickets, buy the shirts, jackets, etc. etc. and watch on tv are getting screwed. Do you think Stienbrenner really cares? None of them do. As long as the revenue comes in so what. Its a shame. The left coast crowd will always bee “losers” in my mind but we love our teams from the mid west on. Yankee fans, Phillie fans, Red Sox fans, we are the most passionate, loyal and knowledgeable around. We live and die with our sports teams. Oops I did not mean to omit the Met fans. Is their new park quiet? All the luxury boxes, cafes, bars, etc. etc. Lincon Field was a vanity project for the clueless Eagles owner. It’s an odd looking place to say the least. So many weird angles etc. He had some stupid looking tower thing erected to resemble the Eiffle tower in Paris. please spare me

4. mumfordlmh - Oct 31, 2009 at 12:13 PM

Uh just showing up. Mmmm over 3 million at the new place, the vet seated almost 60,000 for baseball fans went. Your off base (no pun intended). Any way it does not cost $4,000. a month to rent a one room apt. Check the New York and New Jersey emigrants leaving your over priced state and NJ. Just north of the city, Bucks County a lot of your fine citizens have been moving into our area for years. Taxes, Lower!, cost of living lower, auto insurance lower, no wack job leftie politicans giving away the store. So how is your sex addict former governer these days. And your current gov. is an loser. And Rangle or whatever his name is. And your NY based soap operas moving to LA. Shall I go on? But thats ok. Come see all our new casinos, sports palors, real estate prices that have held up, our services for seniors, I’m one and no need to move to Florida to escape high taxes, etc. I do sense jealously. Oh by the way what do you pay for car insurance? NY, and NJ. land of high taxes, and poor services and corrupt and stupid politicans. Your mayor is trying to buy his re election. Please. Oh and the taxes on Social Security and pension income in PA ZERO!!!!!!! MM what is it in NY?

5. Joey B - Nov 2, 2009 at 4:11 PM

All that whining, not to mention the spelling and grammar issues, and yet, 8M still choose to live in NYC, which is almost the population of all of Pennsylvania outside of Philadelphia.
    Funnier still, I would never think to criticize those that choose to live in PA. I’m sure there are plenty of nice places for those that prefer the quiet, open spaces. Just be aware that there are those that like the feel of a neighborhood, where the newsstand, the diner, the pub, the church, etc., are all a short walk away, and not a car ride away. Neither better, nor worse-just different.
    Based on what you wrote, I expect that you have an inferiority complex about where you live.

6. HAYWOOD UBLOME - Nov 20, 2009 at 1:32 PM

WHO ARE THE YANKEES ???

7. Megan Fox - Jan 9, 2010 at 9:49 PM

I was surfing around for more information on this topic this evening when I found your really useful article…thanks a million for sharing your thoughts. I will surely be checking up on your blog and visiting again to read new articles.BTW since when have you been blogging? :)

8. upgrading cpu - Jan 14, 2010 at 9:55 AM

I absolutely am in awe of this article!!! totally gonna have to put this on the list.

9. Robby - Jan 23, 2010 at 8:39 PM

Reasons why new stadium feels and sounds like a golf tournament- 1. Upper decks pushed waaayyy back- used to drape over field.
    2. Bleacher creachers pushed 20 rows back from field.
    3. Music speakers now on volume 2 instead of 10- especially in the bleachers- It used to be like a rock concert between innings to get you juiced- now its like a hand radio on low. The design of the old stadium is what made it the best! Crying shame the new satdium STINKS!!!!
    And Yes! I was there for a regular season game AND a playoff game in the bleachers- Yanks won both and it was STILL quiet as a golf tornament in the New Stadium!
    The Old Stadium used to rock like a Metallica concert!!!

10. rival deep fryer plug - Feb 20, 2010 at 1:11 AM

Thank you for posting this, I fully agree to what you have said, about the whole issue, I have hence subscribed to your rss feeds and will be a regular reader

11. Kitchen appliance reviews - Feb 21, 2010 at 4:46 PM

Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon.

12. watch tv and movies - Mar 8, 2010 at 6:46 PM

This was awesome

13. Bill - Mar 9, 2010 at 1:13 AM

Very informative, thank you for taking the time to share this with us.

A's, Tigers big winners at trade deadline