David Wells doesn't like Philadelphia

Oct 31, 2009, 3:11 PM EDT

David Wells is a real renaissance
man. First, he was cast as the “Charles Barkley-type” for MLB coverage
on TBS. Now, he’s a guest columnist for the New York Post during the
World Series. In his newest piece entitled “City of Brotherly Love? My Butt!”,
the former Yankee southpaw
has Philadelphia in his crosshairs:

They are angry people. It’s going to be tough, because they are very
vocal, foul and can maybe cause havoc on some of the younger guys, but
I don’t think they will give the Yankees any problem. The only problem
will be for these Phillies fans, when they lose. The Yankees will shut
them up.

I put Philadelphia, Cleveland and Oakland atop my list for the worst fans in baseball, with Philadelphia No. 1.

I won’t spoil it all here, but go
ahead and read about Wells’ visit to the friendly confines of Citizens
Bank Park during the postseason with TBS. Big Cal Ripken fans out there.

1. Dennis LeVasseur - Oct 31, 2009 at 3:44 PM

David Wells is confusing “Anger” for “Passion” & “Foul” for “Boisterous” I will take the liberty to speak for Philly Fans and most will agree “We” revel in his opnion we are the Worst Fans…but that is all in the eyes of the Visiting Teams. Exactly what we want!!!!

2. Bill Gaters - Oct 31, 2009 at 5:25 PM

Very sorry to disagree,… David Wells may be alot of things, but in this case being wrong is not one of them. Where else but in Philly is there both a court house, judge, and jail inside the city’s football stadium. The fans even booed Santa Claus in one pregame ceremony a few years back. They are angry, and need to chill. The should, their team is the reigning WS champs,…. but they won’t. City of Brotherly Love?…… you’ve got to be kidding.

3. fillyfan - Oct 31, 2009 at 5:46 PM

Not everyone in Philadelphia is angry.
    The snowball thrown at Santa was almost 20 years ago, give it a rest. The jail cell at the Linc no longer has a judge
    Enough already with the negative.
    Mr. Wells, stay in NYC. Philly doesn’t want or need you.

4. Andrew - Oct 31, 2009 at 6:09 PM

Boo hoo, David.
    When Irvin got hurt. I don’t agree with the crowd’s response. Other than that, it’s an acquired taste.
    Kind of like L.A. fans that like to chant “Phillies Suck” when in fact the Phillies are winning.
    You can’t expect every city’s fans to be the same. Some will be tame and civil, some not.
    Philly is a blue collar town, we wear our hearts on our sleeves. Don’t like it? Go home.
    David on the hand. He can go cry and whine in his multi-million dollar home for all I care. I don’t need him doing it on my television.
    Go Phillies.

5. fresh man - Oct 31, 2009 at 6:16 PM

I moved from Northern New Jersey (jerzy) to lower PA.
    OMG is Well’s right. Angry yes. But let me shed more light.
    Philly (Eagles and Phillies) fans are fans of their team…but NOT SPORTS FANS.
    A guys was angry with me the other day due to the $ the Yankee’s have to spend on field drainage…drainage!!
    An Eagles fan laughed yesterday (Oct 2009) about our 2000 Super Bowl loss. 9 YEARS LATER.
    Angry…Yes! But more importantly not true sports fans.
    More than one time I have been a Philly fan clap when a Giant is on the field injured.

6. Frappy - Oct 31, 2009 at 6:19 PM

Will people ever give it a rest? Philly isn’t St. Louis. Philly hates TBS because they’ve given us the shaft by scheduling the DEFENDING champs first 2 playoff games in mid-afternoon. It’s all about money to them. To us, it’s about respect. Philly fans are the best BECAUSE they hate the other team. Wells never played for our team, so who is he to judge us? This moron wears a Tampa jersey to an Eagles playoff game and expects Philly fans to kiss his butt. Is he joking? Ever go to Giants stadium in Eagles gear? You’ll get the same treatment. That’s just sports on the East Coast. It’s all in good fun, sometimes idiots get out of hand, but seriously Wells, shut your mouth, buck up and stop whining.
    Phils vs. Yanks is going to be a great series. Phillies in 6.

7. Ejcsr - Oct 31, 2009 at 6:26 PM

A bitter column in a trash tabloid by a drunken old pitcher! Wells is the same guy, who in his own book said he strenthened his pitching arm as a kid by throwing rocks at homeless people! What a piller of society. Go have another beer, CREEP.

8. XTrust_No1X - Oct 31, 2009 at 7:43 PM

Oh PLEASE! Your city is disguting, it smells like a sewer, drunk & homeless everywhere. It’s crime rate is one of the highest in the country, that’s why the cops attacked that house full of radicals years ago. Philly doesn’t have one Professional team that act like professionals both on and off the field, they’re all just gangsta thugs that play there. No wonder most pro athletes don’t want to either play or live there. And, the fans are brainless thugs that even attack Santa Claus. And, the one time I visited the city, was to go to the Spectrum to see the Grateful Dead many years ago, sometime in the 70’s, and had to pummel some arrogant Philly scumbag that knocked down my girlfriend at that time, and refused to apologize. Now, I wouldn’t lower myself to visit that dump they call the city of brotherly love, the reason why it’s called that, all the treehuggers practice incest down there, thus resulting in the typical Philly citizen, just like the guy told Rocky about the typical female from Philly, re.tards love the zoo…

9. Sparklemahn - Oct 31, 2009 at 8:22 PM

Some of the best Dead shows of all time were in Philly. I never had a problem with the locals at any Philadelphia event. It is a great city with mostly good people. Any metro area, and plenty of rural areas, have bad people.

10. lonnie - Oct 31, 2009 at 8:48 PM

I just hope the strike zone isn’t an extra 6 inches on both sides of the plate as it was for the yankees in game 2 . . .

11. rd - Nov 1, 2009 at 1:07 AM

Their going to be real angry when the phillies lose the next two games. Yankees bats heating up and pitching is superior to Phillies,
    Yankees win. New Dynasty.

12. hop - Nov 1, 2009 at 1:30 AM

Wells is right, philly fans in both baseball and football are scumbags, cant wait to see the look on their faces after the Yanks close this thing out in 6

13. Bill - Nov 1, 2009 at 1:49 AM

LOL!
    And I guess we’ll learn to be much better fans by the example you all have set here right!?!
    Please give me a break and you don’t have to come here stay the home where there aren’t any homeless people and your City smells better we won’t miss you!
    And TBS SUCKS we wouldn’t miss them either!

14. paych - Nov 1, 2009 at 6:51 AM

I think your always going to get rude over the top behavior in the stands here and there.Big city/big market teams more then others.The thing is,It’s mostly in good fun.Im a new yorker/yankee fan.Been to many games.I had my hat taken off my head by a Redsox fan and teased in the subway by a group of them. Mind you this is at a 4 game series in New York! Talk about cocky! But I have to say,It never felt mean spirited.It was funny.I think what people are saying is the philly fans are generaly mean and really want to bother people in a negative way.

15. sue - Nov 1, 2009 at 7:24 AM

All you Philly Fan bashers are projecting your own bs hate and rethoric…phuleezz enough already. Mean spirited sports antics are certainly not isolated within Philadelphia….if I remember correctly after a NY Giant playoff loss just last year the idiots who needed to run into the parking lot and destroy cars in a act of frustration did not come across as very gracious losers….but once again big time media from NYC (FOX SPORTS) will omit those minor details. But we still bring up the Santa Claus bashing that occured over 30 years ago. I do not recall any major sports professional in Philadelphia under any scurinty about steroids use….I am a proud Phillies fan because the team is built with true ball players….Utley, Howard, Werth Victarino and Rollins……You just can’t handle the fact that we are real competitors of the game whether it be football or baseball. It urks you that Philadelphia is a TRUE competitor in ALL professional sports. Just play the game and let the best team win.

16. bh0673 - Nov 1, 2009 at 7:27 AM

Funny thing Todd Jones wrote something similar in his column in Sporting News a few years ago but lets be realistic. Can a Philly fan wear their team colors into Yankee Stadium without fear of a fight? Without question. Can a Yankee fan wear their team colors into Citizens Banks Park and be as safe once they get out side? NO. And if David Wells is wrong why do they need to have a jail and a judge present when the Eagles play? The reality is the city may be the city of bortherlylove but their sports fans are immature animals.

17. bh0673 - Nov 1, 2009 at 7:30 AM

Sue I have nothing but respect for the players on your team but if you look from the outseide in you will see the fans need to grow up. The fans are the problem. I live near Lakewood, NJ where the Phillies Single A team is located and have watch players like Hamels and Ryan begin their careers. But I am also in Philadelphia alot and there is still a mentality that can’t handle vistory in a civilized manor.

18. sue - Nov 1, 2009 at 7:33 AM

perhaps you should seek out the opionions of the many Yankee fans who waived the Yankee pennants at last night game if they were in fear of their lives. I on the other hand was driving in NYC with my vehicle having a Eagle plate on it and people stormed my car to rip it off…..HMMMMMM lets see who are the animals. A stadium that sits on 161st in the Bronx where you could be wearing a Yankee jersey and still get beat over the head. Again dont throw stones at the glass house.

19. bh0673 - Nov 1, 2009 at 7:33 AM

Sue let me take it a step further, if the Yankees win the Series do you think the fans will erupt in out of control behavior? Burning cars, forcing the police to grease the light poles to keep the crowd on the ground like they will in Philadelphia if the Phillies win?

20. sue - Nov 1, 2009 at 7:37 AM

Violence due to sports happens across the world…look at the crazy European soccer fans….all I am saying is… Philadelphia has not cornered the market on these ugly events. Hostility is in all parts of city streets when sports is involved. So now lets move on play ball and let the best team win.

21. bh0673 - Nov 1, 2009 at 7:41 AM

Where in New York were you? Come on come clean.

22. sue - Nov 1, 2009 at 7:43 AM

perhaps and perhaps not….but one will never be able to tell the difference in NYC if actions such as burning cars etc is just another police call in the big apple….or the media won’t allow for its distorted interpertation….remember NYC holds the key to what comes across the airwaves and how….

23. bh0673 - Nov 1, 2009 at 7:44 AM

During a game the security around Yankee Stadium is very safe. But I have been up there in the off season and around 161st and River Ave during the day it is still safe. Walking to the parking lots in Philly I do believe recently an opposing fan was recently beaten to death.

24. bh0673 - Nov 1, 2009 at 7:45 AM

Sue they don’t burn cars they just strip them for their parts.

25. sue - Nov 1, 2009 at 7:47 AM

believe it or not I was at 42nd and 7th ave when I was surrounded by a group of misfits who decided to rip off my front Eagle Plate. Police report was filed right there and then…so dont tell me that Philly is the only crazy place

Pitching duel highlights Game 1 of WS