Matsui will be a spectator in Game 3

Oct 31, 2009, 11:31 AM EDT

Joe Girardi confirmed that Johnny
Damon will start in left field for Game 3. While he didn’t make it
official, this all but guarantees that Hideki Matsui
will be sitting on the bench to start Saturday’s game in Philadelphia.

capt.ws12110302156.world_series_yankees_baseball_ws121.jpg
While Nick Swisher and Damon have
batted a combined .176 with two home r
uns and six RBI during the
postseason, Matsui has been one of the club’s most reliable
contributors, batting .278/.422/.472 out of the No. 5 hole, including a
go-ahead solo home run against Pedro Martinez in Game 2. However, his
surgically-repaired knees will have him relegated to the bench.

“We’ll use him in a role to pinch hit when we feel that he can be most
valuable to us,” Girardi said. “It might be a situation where you might
think about a double switch, but you don’t want to lose his bat.”

Matsui hasn’t played a single game in the field all season, and when asked if he would be capable of doing so, his answer wasn’t very encouraging.

“I can’t tell you what my confidence level would be,” he said
through interpreter Roger Kahlon. “My knees are pretty calmed down
right now, in that sense I feel pretty good.”

“I haven’t been in the outfield in more than a year. I have to see how I feel once I get out there.”

Girardi is surely hoping that the Yanks can chase Cole Hamels early and he won’t even have to worry about using Godzilla.

1. RobertG - Oct 31, 2009 at 2:32 PM

Yankees need Matsui’s bat. Let him play RF and take a chance his knees hold out.

2. Anthony - Oct 31, 2009 at 2:55 PM

No, he has not played in the field all year!

3. Anthony - Oct 31, 2009 at 2:56 PM

No, he has not played the field all year!

4. Joe - Oct 31, 2009 at 3:03 PM

Sit Him – he will be gone next year anyway. Damon gone – Petit gone – Posada gone I hope.

5. Anthony - Oct 31, 2009 at 3:08 PM

Joe gone!

6. Vince - Oct 31, 2009 at 3:22 PM

I like Matsui. He’s a good ball player. I wouldn’t want to see another Bill Buckner episode. Use him to hit if needed, don’t play him in the field!

7. Anthony - Oct 31, 2009 at 3:25 PM

Smart comment!

8. Anthony G - Oct 31, 2009 at 3:56 PM

1. Jeter SS
    2. Cabrera LF
    3. Texeira 1B
    4. Rodriguez 3B
    5. Posada C
    6. Cano 2B
    7. Swisher RF
    8. Gardner CF
    9. Pettitte P
    Damon and Matsui good LH bats off bench one Yanks knock Hamels out of there.

9. A OLLIVIERRE - Oct 31, 2009 at 5:17 PM

I DONT LIKE THE YANKEES MY REASON THERE ARE THIRTY TEAMS IN THE LEAUGE AND THEY AIWAYS BUYING ALL THE FREE AGENTS THEY SHOULD BE A LEVEL PLAYING FIELD THEY OVERPAY PLAYERS JUST BECAUSE THEY HAVE THE MONEY

10. Bill Gaters - Oct 31, 2009 at 5:33 PM

Agreed. He is an excellent ballplayer, and what competitor at his level would ever say he is not ready to play (except maybe Manny, but then Manny is a disgrace to himself and to baseball).
    It’s up to the manager to put his best team out there, and as Vince said, don’t want another Buckner episode. That poor guy had to move his family all the way to Idaho to get away from the noise. And this guy had a hall of fame career.

11. REB - Oct 31, 2009 at 6:54 PM

Spoken like a true socialist. There is nothing wrong with having money to spend unless of course YOU don’t have any.

12. Vince del Monte - Feb 7, 2010 at 2:37 PM

Thanks for that – I am such a newbie when it comes to the internet and it never ceases to amaze me how helpful everyone is. Wish I’d gotten into this sooner now!

1. H. Pence (2141)