Nov 1, 2009, 3:51 PM EDT
With Game 4 of the World Series just a few hours from first pitch, here’s a few items of interest from around baseball:
- John Shea of the San Francisco Chronicle thinks the “desperate-for-pop Giants” would consider outbidding the Red Sox for Jason Bay. Jon Heyman of SI.com reported last week that the Red Sox were willing to give Bay $60 million over four years.
If Bay doesn’t work out for San Francisco, Shea names Garrett Atkins as
a possibility. Atkins, who lost his starting job to Ian Stewart, batted
just .226/.308/.342 with nine home runs and 48 RBI this season. Buster
Olney of ESPN.com recently named him as a prime candidate to be non-tendered in December.
- A source told John Perrotto of
Baseball Prospectus that there’s no chance the Pirates will call up
top-prospects Pedro Alvarez and Brad Lincoln before at least next June.
Such a decision would likely keep Alvarez or Lincoln from reaching
“Super 2″ status, meaning they wouldn’t be arbitration-eligible until
after the 2013 season.
- Matt Welch of Halos Heaven says you should think about Brandon Wood when you watch the Phillies.
- And finally, former Mets
and Giants outfielder Tsuyoshi Shinjo is back on a baseball field, but he may have
taken the idea of “’70s night” a little too far.
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 22
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 44
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 71
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (71)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)