Nov 1, 2009, 3:51 PM EST
With Game 4 of the World Series just a few hours from first pitch, here’s a few items of interest from around baseball:
- John Shea of the San Francisco Chronicle thinks the “desperate-for-pop Giants” would consider outbidding the Red Sox for Jason Bay. Jon Heyman of SI.com reported last week that the Red Sox were willing to give Bay $60 million over four years.
If Bay doesn’t work out for San Francisco, Shea names Garrett Atkins as
a possibility. Atkins, who lost his starting job to Ian Stewart, batted
just .226/.308/.342 with nine home runs and 48 RBI this season. Buster
Olney of ESPN.com recently named him as a prime candidate to be non-tendered in December.
- A source told John Perrotto of
Baseball Prospectus that there’s no chance the Pirates will call up
top-prospects Pedro Alvarez and Brad Lincoln before at least next June.
Such a decision would likely keep Alvarez or Lincoln from reaching
“Super 2″ status, meaning they wouldn’t be arbitration-eligible until
after the 2013 season.
- Matt Welch of Halos Heaven says you should think about Brandon Wood when you watch the Phillies.
- And finally, former Mets
and Giants outfielder Tsuyoshi Shinjo is back on a baseball field, but he may have
taken the idea of “’70s night” a little too far.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (131)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)