Nov 1, 2009, 3:51 PM EDT
With Game 4 of the World Series just a few hours from first pitch, here’s a few items of interest from around baseball:
– John Shea of the San Francisco Chronicle thinks the “desperate-for-pop Giants” would consider outbidding the Red Sox for Jason Bay. Jon Heyman of SI.com reported last week that the Red Sox were willing to give Bay $60 million over four years.
If Bay doesn’t work out for San Francisco, Shea names Garrett Atkins as
a possibility. Atkins, who lost his starting job to Ian Stewart, batted
just .226/.308/.342 with nine home runs and 48 RBI this season. Buster
Olney of ESPN.com recently named him as a prime candidate to be non-tendered in December.
– A source told John Perrotto of
Baseball Prospectus that there’s no chance the Pirates will call up
top-prospects Pedro Alvarez and Brad Lincoln before at least next June.
Such a decision would likely keep Alvarez or Lincoln from reaching
“Super 2” status, meaning they wouldn’t be arbitration-eligible until
after the 2013 season.
– Matt Welch of Halos Heaven says you should think about Brandon Wood when you watch the Phillies.
– And finally, former Mets
and Giants outfielder Tsuyoshi Shinjo is back on a baseball field, but he may have
taken the idea of “’70s night” a little too far.
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 43
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 33
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 103
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (103)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)