Nov 2, 2009, 3:40 PM EST
Placido Polanco turned 34 years old last month and has naturally lost a step on both sides of the ball, but still hit .285/.331/.396 this season while ranking among MLB’s better defensive second basemen according to both reputation and Ultimate Zone Rating.
He rarely walks and has modest pop, but Polanco makes as much solid contact as any hitter in baseball and batted .311/.355/.418 in five years with the Tigers leading up to his impending free agency.
Assuming that his defense doesn’t fall off a cliff, even something like .275/.330/.375 would make him above average overall. Given his age and skill set it wouldn’t make sense to offer Polanco more than a two-year deal, but he’ll be an attractive option for teams looking to solidify the middle infield while adding a decent top-of-the-order bat.
Last week Freddy Sanchez took $12 million over two years to remain with the Giants and Polanco would make plenty of sense for contenders if he’s willing to accept something similar. Detroit was seemingly planning to let him go without much of a fight, but would-be replacement Scott Sizemore breaking his ankle in the Arizona Fall League may change that.
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 9
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 60
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 58
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 46
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 8
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)