Nov 2, 2009, 2:20 PM EDT
* Jeff Francoeur underwent surgery this morning to repair a torn thumb ligament suffered while making a diving catch on August 23. He played through the pain and hit .319/.342/.493 over the final five weeks, finishing at .311/.338/.498 overall in 76 games with the Mets after hitting just .250/.282/.352 in 80 games with the Braves.
* Red Sox director of player development Mike Hazen has decided to remain in Boston rather than join Jed Hoyer in San Diego as the Padres’ assistant general manager. Hazen spent two seasons as a minor leaguer in the Padres’ system, but has been in the Red Sox’s front office since 2006.
* Add the “Hank Aaron Award” to the long list of things no one should care about. Joe Mauer led the AL in batting average, on-base percentage, and slugging percentage, yet Derek Jeter won the award that’s supposed to go to “the most outstanding offensive performer in each league.”
* Speaking of Jeter, last night’s episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm featured Larry David arguing about the Yankees shortstop’s defense.
* This morning’s Philadelphia Inquirer included a full-page ad congratulating the Phillies on winning back-to-back World Series. In related news, Dewey still hasn’t defeated Truman.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 162
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 69
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 37
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (162)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)