Nov 2, 2009, 2:20 PM EDT
* Jeff Francoeur underwent surgery this morning to repair a torn thumb ligament suffered while making a diving catch on August 23. He played through the pain and hit .319/.342/.493 over the final five weeks, finishing at .311/.338/.498 overall in 76 games with the Mets after hitting just .250/.282/.352 in 80 games with the Braves.
* Red Sox director of player development Mike Hazen has decided to remain in Boston rather than join Jed Hoyer in San Diego as the Padres’ assistant general manager. Hazen spent two seasons as a minor leaguer in the Padres’ system, but has been in the Red Sox’s front office since 2006.
* Add the “Hank Aaron Award” to the long list of things no one should care about. Joe Mauer led the AL in batting average, on-base percentage, and slugging percentage, yet Derek Jeter won the award that’s supposed to go to “the most outstanding offensive performer in each league.”
* Speaking of Jeter, last night’s episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm featured Larry David arguing about the Yankees shortstop’s defense.
* This morning’s Philadelphia Inquirer included a full-page ad congratulating the Phillies on winning back-to-back World Series. In related news, Dewey still hasn’t defeated Truman.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 1
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 19
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 41
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 32
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 23
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)