Nov 2, 2009, 2:20 PM EDT
* Jeff Francoeur underwent surgery this morning to repair a torn thumb ligament suffered while making a diving catch on August 23. He played through the pain and hit .319/.342/.493 over the final five weeks, finishing at .311/.338/.498 overall in 76 games with the Mets after hitting just .250/.282/.352 in 80 games with the Braves.
* Red Sox director of player development Mike Hazen has decided to remain in Boston rather than join Jed Hoyer in San Diego as the Padres’ assistant general manager. Hazen spent two seasons as a minor leaguer in the Padres’ system, but has been in the Red Sox’s front office since 2006.
* Add the “Hank Aaron Award” to the long list of things no one should care about. Joe Mauer led the AL in batting average, on-base percentage, and slugging percentage, yet Derek Jeter won the award that’s supposed to go to “the most outstanding offensive performer in each league.”
* Speaking of Jeter, last night’s episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm featured Larry David arguing about the Yankees shortstop’s defense.
* This morning’s Philadelphia Inquirer included a full-page ad congratulating the Phillies on winning back-to-back World Series. In related news, Dewey still hasn’t defeated Truman.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 127
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 132
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 37
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (148)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (132)