Nov 2, 2009, 2:20 PM EST
* Jeff Francoeur underwent surgery this morning to repair a torn thumb ligament suffered while making a diving catch on August 23. He played through the pain and hit .319/.342/.493 over the final five weeks, finishing at .311/.338/.498 overall in 76 games with the Mets after hitting just .250/.282/.352 in 80 games with the Braves.
* Red Sox director of player development Mike Hazen has decided to remain in Boston rather than join Jed Hoyer in San Diego as the Padres’ assistant general manager. Hazen spent two seasons as a minor leaguer in the Padres’ system, but has been in the Red Sox’s front office since 2006.
* Add the “Hank Aaron Award” to the long list of things no one should care about. Joe Mauer led the AL in batting average, on-base percentage, and slugging percentage, yet Derek Jeter won the award that’s supposed to go to “the most outstanding offensive performer in each league.”
* Speaking of Jeter, last night’s episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm featured Larry David arguing about the Yankees shortstop’s defense.
* This morning’s Philadelphia Inquirer included a full-page ad congratulating the Phillies on winning back-to-back World Series. In related news, Dewey still hasn’t defeated Truman.
- UPDATE: Mariners planning to offer nine years, $225 million to Robinson Cano 55
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (141)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (98)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (86)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (80)