Nov 2, 2009, 8:55 AM EDT
This is a 1983-85 Robin Yount Louisville Slugger Professional Model Game Used Corked Bat. This bat dates to the 1983-85 period based on the Louisville Slugger centerbrand period, and the Louisville Slugger factory records, which indicate that Yount ordered the P72C 35″ no finish model bat during the entire 1983-85 centerbrand period . . . The very interesting part of this bat, and what makes it special is the apparent corking, a trait banned by MLB rules, visible inside of the cupped barrel end, which slightly distorts the jersey number 19.
I’m not sure what’s harder to believe: that a Hall of Famer like Yount might have corked his bat or that he actually believed hitting with a corked bat helps in the first place. Because it almost certainly does not.
UPDATE: A friend of mine who is much smarter than I am read the linked corked bat-debunking and finds considerable fault with it. He’s right: it’s a highly qualified article that, if anything, could be read to actually establish that corked bats do, indeed, confer a benefit on the hitter. I’ll admit that I didn’t read the article too closely before I linked it this morning. I had simply read multiple debunkings of corked bats in the past, and at first glance assumed that was one ’em. We can do better than that, so here’s Mythbusters. They’re on TV, so they HAVE to be more credible, right?
(link via Monozygotic)
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 32
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 58
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 48
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 49
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)