Nov 2, 2009, 8:55 AM EDT
This is a 1983-85 Robin Yount Louisville Slugger Professional Model Game Used Corked Bat. This bat dates to the 1983-85 period based on the Louisville Slugger centerbrand period, and the Louisville Slugger factory records, which indicate that Yount ordered the P72C 35″ no finish model bat during the entire 1983-85 centerbrand period . . . The very interesting part of this bat, and what makes it special is the apparent corking, a trait banned by MLB rules, visible inside of the cupped barrel end, which slightly distorts the jersey number 19.
I’m not sure what’s harder to believe: that a Hall of Famer like Yount might have corked his bat or that he actually believed hitting with a corked bat helps in the first place. Because it almost certainly does not.
UPDATE: A friend of mine who is much smarter than I am read the linked corked bat-debunking and finds considerable fault with it. He’s right: it’s a highly qualified article that, if anything, could be read to actually establish that corked bats do, indeed, confer a benefit on the hitter. I’ll admit that I didn’t read the article too closely before I linked it this morning. I had simply read multiple debunkings of corked bats in the past, and at first glance assumed that was one ‘em. We can do better than that, so here’s Mythbusters. They’re on TV, so they HAVE to be more credible, right?
(link via Monozygotic)
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 3
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 9
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 78
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 88
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)