Wanna buy a Hall of Famer's corked bat?

Nov 2, 2009, 8:55 AM EDT

Going to the highest bidder:

This is a 1983-85 Robin Yount Louisville Slugger Professional Model Game Used Corked Bat. This bat dates to the 1983-85 period based on the Louisville Slugger centerbrand period, and the Louisville Slugger factory records, which indicate that Yount ordered the P72C 35″ no finish model bat during the entire 1983-85 centerbrand period . . . The very interesting part of this bat, and what makes it special is the apparent corking, a trait banned by MLB rules, visible inside of the cupped barrel end, which slightly distorts the jersey number 19.

I’m not sure what’s harder to believe: that a Hall of Famer like Yount might have corked his bat or that he actually believed hitting with a corked bat helps in the first place. Because it almost certainly does not.

UPDATE:  A friend of mine who is much smarter than I am read the linked corked bat-debunking and finds considerable fault with it.  He’s right: it’s a highly qualified article that, if anything, could be read to actually establish that corked bats do, indeed, confer a benefit on the hitter.  I’ll admit that I didn’t read the article too closely before I linked it this morning. I had simply read multiple debunkings of corked bats in the past, and at first glance assumed that was one ‘em.  We can do better than that, so here’s Mythbusters. They’re on TV, so they HAVE to be more credible, right?

(link via Monozygotic)

1. willmose - Nov 2, 2009 at 8:45 AM

There is certainly more evidence that corked bats helps than steriods or HGH. Shouldn’t Yount be tossed out of the HOF?

2. Gabriel M . Bodosca - Nov 2, 2009 at 9:22 AM

Did anyboidy in the entire world saw in the Sunday’s Yankee- Phillies game that the HOME plate Umpire missed to call the 3rd. strike on Johnny Damon after Johnny hit one on the right stand , one on the left stand and he swung and missed another one , yet the Umpire called strike 2 ??? How is that possible , how come nobody saw it ? THE MLB SHOULD INVESTIGATE . PHILLIES SHOULD FILE A COPMLAINT AND HAVE THE GAME RESULT CANCELLED OR DISMISSED OR REVERSE THE VICTORY AND MLB SHOULD SUSPEND THE UMPIRES FOR LIFE ! IT’S NOT ONLY UNFAIR IT’S CRIMINAL TOO.

3. Samuel L. Jackson - Nov 2, 2009 at 10:26 AM

ENGLISH MOTHER#%*(%@, DO YOU SPEAK IT!?!?!

4. Ditto - Nov 2, 2009 at 11:59 AM

IT WAS A FOUL TIP!!!!!!!

5. Will - Nov 2, 2009 at 12:36 PM

I don’t know about you, but I intend to file a bumch of copmlaints today.

6. Church of the Perpetually Outraged - Nov 2, 2009 at 12:56 PM

I don’t know about you, but I intend to file a bumch of copmlaints today.

7. Tony - Nov 2, 2009 at 2:45 PM

When this item was discussed on Brewerfan.net, the point was made that there is no indication of WHEN that bat was corked.
    Sure, Yount might have used it in ’83, but it could have been corked last week.

8. John - Nov 2, 2009 at 3:31 PM

Gabriel is speaking on behalf of the mentally ill.

9. I Am Providence - Nov 2, 2009 at 7:22 PM

“Sure, Yount might have used it in ’83, but it could have been corked last week.”
    Last week?
    Right. If I had a bat used by a major-leaguer, it would make sense to cork the bat a week before putting it up for auction. That’s a much more likely explanation than a player corking his bat to gain an edge. Sounds like there are some real rocket-scientists on Brewerfan.net

10. Kristopher Galustian - Feb 13, 2010 at 6:08 PM

Hey thanks for posting this, found it to be a interesting read after finding it on Bing searching for similar topics and i shall pass the link on to a few friends.

All the trade deadline news to know