Nov 3, 2009, 9:55 AM EDT
Believe it or not — and my psychiatrist clearly does not believe it — I read every comment posted to this blog. And based upon reading every comment posted to this blog, I have learned two things:
1. Joe Buck and Tim McCarver are rooting for the Phillies; and
2. Joe Buck and Tim McCarver are rooting for the Yankees.
Really, the passion with which many of you believe that those knuckleheads are rooting for the other team is incredible. It’s rendered even more incredible in light of the fact that so many of the same people who think that Buck and McCarver root also say that they don’t know what they’re talking about. In an ideal world, the statements “McCarver knows nothing!” and “McCarver roots for the other guys” would represent complementary concepts that shouldn’t bother anyone (after all, if they guy truly is a moron, and truly is rooting for the other team, doesn’t that bode well for your team?) But the former notion seems to make the latter notion all the more intolerable for many of you.
Personally, I don’t think that either of those guys root for anything other than high ratings and a long series. In this, they are no different than so many of their predecessors, including Bob Costas, Tony Kubek, and Joe Garagiola, all of whom have been accused of postseason bias over the years (they’re also all NBC guys . . . hmmmmm), erroneously so in my view. But still the perception persists, and I really want to know why.
Those of you who think that the broadcasters are in the bag for the other team: why do you think so? Give us examples of alleged bias in the comments. It’s an off day and we don’t have to listen to them bleat, so let’s talk about their bleatings a bit, shall we?
UPDATE: This post on the excellent Fack Youk! blog is a week old, but it’s a much more thorough handling of the subject.
- Miguel Cabrera home run Gif > Yu Darvish pitches Gif 20
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 59
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (121)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (115)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights