Nov 3, 2009, 9:55 AM EDT
Believe it or not — and my psychiatrist clearly does not believe it — I read every comment posted to this blog. And based upon reading every comment posted to this blog, I have learned two things:
1. Joe Buck and Tim McCarver are rooting for the Phillies; and
2. Joe Buck and Tim McCarver are rooting for the Yankees.
Really, the passion with which many of you believe that those knuckleheads are rooting for the other team is incredible. It’s rendered even more incredible in light of the fact that so many of the same people who think that Buck and McCarver root also say that they don’t know what they’re talking about. In an ideal world, the statements “McCarver knows nothing!” and “McCarver roots for the other guys” would represent complementary concepts that shouldn’t bother anyone (after all, if they guy truly is a moron, and truly is rooting for the other team, doesn’t that bode well for your team?) But the former notion seems to make the latter notion all the more intolerable for many of you.
Personally, I don’t think that either of those guys root for anything other than high ratings and a long series. In this, they are no different than so many of their predecessors, including Bob Costas, Tony Kubek, and Joe Garagiola, all of whom have been accused of postseason bias over the years (they’re also all NBC guys . . . hmmmmm), erroneously so in my view. But still the perception persists, and I really want to know why.
Those of you who think that the broadcasters are in the bag for the other team: why do you think so? Give us examples of alleged bias in the comments. It’s an off day and we don’t have to listen to them bleat, so let’s talk about their bleatings a bit, shall we?
UPDATE: This post on the excellent Fack Youk! blog is a week old, but it’s a much more thorough handling of the subject.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 32
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 7
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)