Jamie McCourt to the Dodgers: "Get out of my divorce"

Nov 3, 2009, 8:55 AM EDT

Jamie McCourt still wants to own the Dodgers, she just doesn’t want them filing legal briefs in which the team accuses her of cheating on her husband:

Jamie McCourt argued in a motion Monday that the Dodgers should not be a party in a divorce hearing, asking the court to throw out papers filed in the team’s name that “unnecessarily and gratuitously attack” her.

The motion is expected to be considered Thursday in Los Angeles Superior Court as part of a hearing to determine the validity of McCourt’s demand for immediate reinstatement as the Dodgers’ chief executive.

I think she has a good point here, because if anyone should be allowed to “gratuitously attack” her for messing around with her bodyguard (or whatever he is), it shouldn’t be the Dodgers, who actually made the filing she’s complaining about. It should be her husband Frank, and so far he’s been missing from this affair.  At least technically so. Fact is that the “Dodgers'” papers were written and filed by Frank’s own divorce lawyer, which means that Frank is trying to use the team’s good name to advance legal arguments he doesn’t necessarily want to make himself.

In reality, the Dodgers probably have a place in the lawsuit insofar as Jamie has asked to be reinstated, and the Dodgers, as an entity, probably have a right to say that they do not want to be forced to re-hire a terminated employee. They should not, however, be used as Frank’s sock puppet to accuse their former employee of being an unfaithful hussy who shouldn’t have her job back.  If Frank wants to accuse his wife of stuff, he should man up and say it himself in his own legal papers. Businesses are generally well-advised to not publicly comment on the reasons why someone gets fired.

Bonus reason for kicking the Dodgers out of the suit: it will prevent these overpaid children from further dragging a once proud and respectable  brand name into the muck.

1. Old Gator - Nov 3, 2009 at 10:56 AM

I think that the propensity of modern kitsch kulture to exhibit our private issues so publicly strips us all of our dignity and turns us into a bunch of drooling voyeurs.
    Having said that, though, I have to admit that this Dodgers fiasco is still more fun to watch than the Detroit Lions.

2. Chris in VA - Nov 3, 2009 at 12:58 PM

Maybe TLC will create a series out of it, not that Jon & Kate are falling off the radar….

3. Margie Pearson - Nov 3, 2009 at 2:32 PM

The Dodgers are so lame and such lackwits, that they failed once again to win a pennant. They used to be the major power in senior circuit. Now? The fitting example of a MLB loser team that does just enough to separate their fans from the money in their wallets. The McCourts sukk and have made the Dodgers sukk in lockstep with them.

4. WK Jacobs - Nov 3, 2009 at 2:53 PM

Will Commissioner Bud Lite get involved?

5. GBS - Nov 4, 2009 at 9:19 PM

I don’t get all the comments I’ve read lately about how bad the Dodgers are. We are talking about the two-time defending NL West champs, right?

6. Legalsounds - Jan 13, 2010 at 1:56 PM

I can see that you are an expert at your field! I am launching a website soon, and your information will be very useful for me.. Thanks for all your help and wishing you all the success in your business.

7. Music downloads - Jan 15, 2010 at 12:59 PM

I know this is really boring and you are skipping to the next comment, but I just wanted to throw you a big thanks – you cleared up some things for me!

8. MLB headlines - Feb 3, 2010 at 4:27 PM

It appears that you have placed a lot of effort into your article and I require more of these on the net these days. I sincerely got a kick out of your post. I don’t really have much to say in response, I only wanted to comment to reply wonderful work.

Pitching duel highlights Game 1 of WS