Nov 3, 2009, 12:33 PM EST
Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports reported that Cole Hamels and Brett Myers had a “tense confrontation” and “escalating situation” following last night’s game.
According to his account Myers said, “What are you doing here? I thought you quit” in response to Hamels’ previous quotes about wanting the season to be over and then Hamels “responded with an expletive.”
However, Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com witnessed the incident from “maybe five feet away” and writes that he “thought Myers was joking” and “did not even consider writing about it.” Here’s more from Rosenthal:
Myers walked by Hamels’ locker as he left the clubhouse. The two are good friends and Myers is bit of a wise guy, the kind who always has something to say. He made his remark in passing, not in an in-your-face way.
Brown’s original report had Hamels being “guided away by a team official” before things got out of hand, but Rosenthal suggests that “Charlie Manuel was waiting to meet with Hamels in his office” and public-relations director Greg Casterioto “walked him there.”
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 7
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 18
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (91)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (81)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (79)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (70)