Nov 3, 2009, 9:25 AM EST
A lot of people attacked the Cardinals last week for hiring a hitting coach with nearly 600 career home runs by complaining about that coach’s career .263 average. What, then, will they have to say about the Giants’ new hitting coach, former Yankees can’t-miss prospect Hensley “Bam Bam” Meulens? Meulens career line: .220/.288/.353. I still have a vivid memory of watching Meulens on his fourth and fifth go-around with the Columbus Clippers back when I was in college and had nothing better to do than to go to ballgames. They still treated Meulens like a prospect then, but it was super apparent by that point that he was going nowhere fast.
Of course, one need not have been a great hitter to be a good hitting coach. One simply need to know a thing or two about hitting and be able to communicate it effectively. The Giants think Meulens is that guy. Maybe he is, maybe he isn’t, but given how poor their hitting has been in recent years he can’t really hurt, can he?
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 3
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 293
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)