Yanks make it official: Pettitte to duel Pedro in Game 6

Nov 3, 2009, 4:23 PM EDT

The Yankees confirmed Tuesday that Andy Pettitte would take the mound on short rest and start Game 6 against the Phillies and Pedro Martinez on Wednesday.
It was obvious the Bombers would go that route from the moment that A.J. Burnett was chosen to start Game 5. If Chad Gaudin was going to pitch, it would have been to prevent Burnett from having to go on short rest. Once Burnett was picked, the Yankees were committed to the three-man rotation throughout.
Pettitte is 3-1 with a 2.88 ERA in short rest during the playoffs, but because those starts came years ago, the Yankees were clearly more nervous about asking him to go on three days’ rest than they were either CC Sabathia or Burnett. Pettitte hasn’t even started on four days’ rest since Sept. 5. His final four regular-season starts and first four postseason starts all came on at least five days’ rest.
Working with the extra time off, Pettitte is 3-0 with a 3.24 ERA so far in the postseason. He allowed four runs over six innings in his Game 3 victory over the Phillies.

1. bfd - Nov 4, 2009 at 1:32 PM

john, you are funny!!! i am reading all of these and i get a kick out of them. both pettite and burnett pitch very well on short notice, unfortunately, burnett just had a bad day. pettite has a ton of experience in tough games and i think he will prevail. as for wearing my team proudly, i wear yankee gear whether they win or lose. that is a true fan. you take the good years and the bad years. i have been waiting for 9 years for another title and i wear them proudly. it seems like everybody else brings up the yankees payroll not the yankee fans. everybody else is just jealous that the yankees have the best fans in the world because if it wasn’t for us, they wouldn’t be who they are today. YANKEES IN SIX!!!!!! THE EVIL EMPIRE WILL COME THROUGH!!!!!

2. John - Nov 4, 2009 at 3:01 PM

You’re absolutely right TF back to the business at hand, enough with all of this gobbly gook regarding dead authors… as great as they may have been, for tonight Philadelphia takes one more step (the step before the final step) to another WS title!
    And bfd, I’m sorry but you’ll have to wait at least one more year for your beloved Yankees to get that elusive 27th WS Pennant but look on the bright side 10, as opposed to 9, is a nice round clean number. ;-) PHILLIES IN SEVEN!!! MARK MY WORDS!!!

3. Shely - Nov 4, 2009 at 4:23 PM

This is serious now. John, don’t forget the shrinks appointment tomorrow A.M.
    REMEMBER:
    Bombers in 6

4. Old Gator - Nov 4, 2009 at 4:55 PM

See my opinion of sporting facilities in the Tampa Bay area on the Iwamura to Pittsburgh blog. I was being charitable, too.

5. TF in Tampa - Nov 4, 2009 at 4:57 PM

Slow down there Ace. I’ve been to a couple of games in the Bronx, even a few Pennent chasers. You cannot believe the electricity that gets generated during some regular season rival games, let alone the sixth [and I might say final] WS game. If you ever thought home field advantage didn’t matter, Think Again!!
    Right now the Boys of Summer are arriving at the Stadium, stepping out of those megabucks speed rockets they drive, Thousands of their fans are there chanting their names like they do at the beginning of each game, getting the players all pumped, and this all before the game starts. Once inside, the intensity builds to the point of….. no return! And that , my friend John and to all your followers, is the final Headline.
    “Yankees Dethrone Phillies Win World Series in 6″
    Enjoy the game,
    TF in Tampa

6. Old Gator - Nov 4, 2009 at 5:15 PM

John –
    Just a quick comment, still off-topic and gleefully so – transgression is my essence, my life-force.
    If you loved Thompson, Vonnegut and Mencken (who are not dead but yet live!) and you want to experience a really sick sense of humor at work, you gotta read Cormac McCarthy’s real masterpiece, Blood Meridian (The Road is a great work but it’s not in the same league as Blood Meridian). Imagine Larry McMurtry crossed with Shakespeare on very bad strychnine-laced acid.
    Now back to business.
    This ought to be a great game tonight. It’s cold as a bucket of penguin drech up here in New York (and what the hell am I doing north of Jacksonville in November, anyway?) so the team with the most mulled cider in the clubhouse wins.

7. TF in Tampa - Nov 4, 2009 at 5:25 PM

Ok, Ok, I feel your pain too. The Trop is old and tired and the Rays need new diggs. However, When its 90 degrees at game time and its a cool and comfortable 70 degrees inside, we do what we have to do and don’t complain too much about it.
    I was hoping for the new stadium to be approved at the downtown waterfront local, but NG for now.
    So, do I get an invite to the wedding, [you guys really connected] or are you and John calling it quits after tonights game? [I'll miss the indepth renderings]
    Enjoy the game!

8. John - Nov 4, 2009 at 6:14 PM

I will take note of “Blood Meridian” and put it on my books to read list. Now let me ask if you’ve ever read “A Confederacy of Dunces” by the late John Kennedy Toole? If so disregard the rest of this post but if you haven’t read it you must add it to your books to read list as it features many, if not all, of the elements used by Vonnegut & HST. And you’re right for they do indeed live on… along with Mencken.

9. John - Nov 4, 2009 at 6:17 PM

Oops! It seems I’ve become so flustered with all of this talk regarding great literary works that I forgot to close my last message with… PHILLIES IN SEVEN!!! MARK MY WORDS!!!
    I only hope that I haven’t jinxed them in anyway by not doing so. *crosses fingers*

10. Ditto - Nov 5, 2009 at 12:06 AM

Phillies in Seven? Seven what? I marked your words, and only wasted ink. Thanks John. Thanks for nothin’.

11. John - Nov 5, 2009 at 1:05 AM

Sorry Ditto that is all I have to offer. Congrats to you and your Yankees! Now leave me alone and let me choke down this humble pie & JD in peace. PHILLIES ARE OUT!!! MARK MY WORDS!!!

12. Otelia Ryburn - Jan 27, 2010 at 1:29 PM

A thoughtful insight and ideas I will use on my blog. You’ve obviously spent some time on this. Well done!

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (4629)