Yanks make it official: Pettitte to duel Pedro in Game 6

Nov 3, 2009, 4:23 PM EDT

The Yankees confirmed Tuesday that Andy Pettitte would take the mound on short rest and start Game 6 against the Phillies and Pedro Martinez on Wednesday.
It was obvious the Bombers would go that route from the moment that A.J. Burnett was chosen to start Game 5. If Chad Gaudin was going to pitch, it would have been to prevent Burnett from having to go on short rest. Once Burnett was picked, the Yankees were committed to the three-man rotation throughout.
Pettitte is 3-1 with a 2.88 ERA in short rest during the playoffs, but because those starts came years ago, the Yankees were clearly more nervous about asking him to go on three days’ rest than they were either CC Sabathia or Burnett. Pettitte hasn’t even started on four days’ rest since Sept. 5. His final four regular-season starts and first four postseason starts all came on at least five days’ rest.
Working with the extra time off, Pettitte is 3-0 with a 3.24 ERA so far in the postseason. He allowed four runs over six innings in his Game 3 victory over the Phillies.

1. John - Nov 3, 2009 at 4:44 PM

There will be no “Who’s your daddy?” chants heard in Yankee Stadium tomorrow night as Pedro will baffle the Yankee hitters and Pettite will get shelled! PHILLIES IN SEVEN!!! MARK MY WORDS!!!

2. bfd - Nov 3, 2009 at 5:03 PM

you are wrong john. the phillies have only seen pettite a couple of times where as the yankees know pedro through and through. pedro will be rocked tomorrow and the phillies will wonder why they even signed him in the beginning. THE EVIL EMPIRE SHALL PREVAIL!!

3. Ditto - Nov 3, 2009 at 5:04 PM

Turn the lights out when you leave, John. YANKEES IN SIX!!! MARK MY WORDS!!!

4. Mode:Theif and Lair - Nov 3, 2009 at 5:05 PM

Let’s review:
    John before the series “PHILLIES IN FOUR!!! MARK MY WORDS!!!”
    John after game 2 “PHILLIES IN FIVE!!! MARK MY WORDS!!!”
    John after game 3 “PHILLIES IN SIX!!! MARK MY WORDS!!!”
    John after game 4 “PHILLIES IN SEVEN!!! MARK MY WORDS!!!”
    John if the Yankees win “………”
    Thank you John for the comedy relief and proving that predictions from fans are really their hopes for their team.
    Sorry, I’m wrong. I just noticed that you said “MARK MY WORDS!!” You really mean it, and that’s what counts.

5. John - Nov 3, 2009 at 5:17 PM

Glad I could brighten your day Mr. or Mrs. Theif and Lair but never once did I say FOUR or FIVE only SIX, which unfortunately like Mr. Rollins I missed, but I really do mean it. PHILLIES IN SEVEN!!! MARK MY WORDS!!!

6. Mode:Theif and Lair - Nov 3, 2009 at 5:27 PM

Hmm. I don’t really want to go back and check but I’m sure someone with a lot of confidence such as yourself, you must have said 4 and 5 as well. You admit changing from 6 to 7, I’d have to expect that you started with 4 and just worked your way up.
    By the way, “but I really do mean it” adds nothing to what you’re saying. Nothing.
    In case you’re wondering, what you’re really saying is “I hope they win in seven.”

7. planktonDisciple - Nov 3, 2009 at 5:46 PM

Not to defend the bogosity that is John. But still, WS teams down 2-3 are historically 35-22 in game 6, the 35 winners went 17-18 in game 7. The Pedro that the Yankees knew threw and through was a power pitcher. Pedro now is a crafty pitcher, topping out at 88-91 mph, who held the Yankees to two solo homeruns in seven innings last week, and he has full rest. Phillie has about a 25-33% chance of pulling this out. It is not over.

8. John - Nov 3, 2009 at 5:48 PM

Believe what you want but I never said FOUR or FIVE, scouts honor! And what I’m really saying is that the PHILLIES WILL WIN THE WS IN SEVEN GAMES!!! MARK MY WORDS!!!
    *note – I never was a boy scout

9. Dustin - Nov 3, 2009 at 5:54 PM

Thief, Is your name supposed to be spelled lair or is it a typo for Liar?

10. John - Nov 3, 2009 at 5:58 PM

Lair is where he stashes all of his stolen booty. PHILLIES IN SEVEN!!! MARK MY WORDS!!!

11. your daddy - Nov 3, 2009 at 6:00 PM

to all the yankees a-holes out there….i am sick of your mouths…when you win its “suck my balls were the best”, when you lose its living in the past with “we have 26 titles” and excuse after excuse to why the payroll didn’t work this time….when anyone form another team brings up somethink like 2004 ist “thats history, quit living in the past”….you can’t have it both ways…thats why no one likes you….win graciously & lose graciously, or better yet JUST SHUT THE F UP!!!!!…..my team has been to 2 WS and lost both miserably and if they ever win one in my life i will certainly not shove it daown the throats of the enemyyou should appreciate what you have and not act like your responsible for it…and not all yankee fans are a-holes for the record… i know a quite a few and they definately speak their minds but respect the game and other people (most of them anyway!)…i hope the yankees choke like 2004 again and again for the next 81 years!!!!! or better yet the next 1000 years!!!!

12. Kev - Nov 3, 2009 at 6:05 PM

You didn’t notice he also misspelled “Thief”? A NY transplant to Philly, I’ve been predicted the Phils to win in 7 since the series began.
    Take nothing away from the Yankees (especially their goddamned hitters; woohah they got some pop in them bats!) but I think the Phillies rotation and bullpen depth will pull this out. In game 4, had Lidge not managed to blow the damned game, the Phils would have won that going deep into extra innings.
    I think that game 7 belongs to the Phils IF they can get there. But game 6 is gonna be big, and DANGEROUS. Phillies pitching won’t save this one; only Ryan Howard and the bats will. Big Brown’s gotta wake the f’ up and become the NLCS MVP he was again, because Chase isn’t getting ANYTHING hittable EVER again in this series.
    But hey, that’s just the way I see it.
    Also, John, shut up, you’re an embarrassment to Phillies fans everywhere. But you’re right, Phils in seven. :D

13. John - Nov 3, 2009 at 6:10 PM

I will not be silenced! PHILLIES IN SEVEN!!! MARK MY WORDS!!!

14. Lou jensen - Nov 3, 2009 at 6:11 PM

I guess you’ll never be a “writer” Damn what says jeolousy like what just came off your keyboard! calm down boy, you’re going to blow a heart valve out. You and I know the Yanks are the greatest. However it’s more important that you know, and you do….Now go get yourself some prozac for game six. toodle lee doo!
    And yeah, by the way, stop rooting for loosers, this way, you won’t be one. and your team won’t be either…Jackass!

15. Jackson - Nov 3, 2009 at 6:13 PM

Well along those same lines, how come any time the yankees beat someone its b\c they have a higher payroll. But anytime the yankees lose its b\c all the money in the world can’t buy you a title? Your comments don’t make much sense.

16. Mode:Theif and Lair - Nov 3, 2009 at 6:13 PM

They’re both spelled wrong on purpose..
    John, you’re starting to grow on me.
    your daddy. I am a Yankee fan. Although it’s a little too profanity laden for my tastes, you are right on with how a fan should react when their team wins a championship I put all my stuff away if/when my teams win. I know they won, no sense in shoving it down other people’s throats. I understand I really did nothing but root for a team that happened to win.
    Now, if the Yankees lose, I will proudly wear my stuff in public.

17. Jackson - Nov 3, 2009 at 6:15 PM

18. Mark Namin - Nov 3, 2009 at 6:17 PM

Yeah Lou…What’s wrong with “your Daddy?”
    That woman is not well, I mean all that poison and hatred comong out of one girl….Poor daddy…fasten your seat belt for #27 Mrs. Daddy!
    ( she’ll be crying herself to sleep tomorrow)!
    Yanks rule….Yankee Universe!

19. your daddy - Nov 3, 2009 at 6:17 PM

ummm, don’t recall saying anything about the yankees team, certainly not jeolous of being a prick…for the record, yanks are probably the scariest late inning team ever throughout the years and on paper just rediculous… i am a fan of the game so i appreciate stuff like that..and when the yankees start losing year after year i’m sure you will start rooting the a team that is not losing so no one can call you a loser…be a fan not a dink…JACKASS!!!

20. Bill-Sonora - Nov 3, 2009 at 6:19 PM

Sure there won’t John.

21. Lou Jensen - Nov 3, 2009 at 6:23 PM

Now I’m a dink and a jackass?
    You’re out of order Mr. daddy!…But I think I could like you!
    God Bless America Daddy!

22. John - Nov 3, 2009 at 6:29 PM

It sounds like English is your second language Bill-Sonora, either that or you’re really tired and thus, in your sleep deprived fog, you typed a sentence which makes little sense. PHILLIES IN SEVEN!!! MARK MY WORDS!!!

23. mvp - Nov 3, 2009 at 6:31 PM

How many time do you have to said PHILLIES IN SEVEN? DO you have to keep repeating it.

24. your daddy - Nov 3, 2009 at 6:33 PM

lou, i’m not saying you can’t be rowdy and root for your team and for all i know you may not be one of the yankee a-hole fans i am refering to..i just hate poor losers and poor winners even more…i might even say that if i were a NYker i would be loud and obnoctious but i would certainly give credit where credit is due!…and i just needed to vent ’cause my padres do suck, royaly..but i stand by my home town, win or lose and do it with pride…enjoy the rest of the series….both games!!!

25. Mode:Theif and Lair - Nov 3, 2009 at 6:35 PM

Obviously you like to read it, because replying in this manner means that he will do it again.
    In a bizarre way, it’s actually starting to grow on me though, like Letterman beating a joke to death until it’s sort of funny. I now get the same chuckle with the yankee fan that types in all caps all the time.

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey