Yanks make it official: Pettitte to duel Pedro in Game 6

Nov 3, 2009, 4:23 PM EST

The Yankees confirmed Tuesday that Andy Pettitte would take the mound on short rest and start Game 6 against the Phillies and Pedro Martinez on Wednesday.
It was obvious the Bombers would go that route from the moment that A.J. Burnett was chosen to start Game 5. If Chad Gaudin was going to pitch, it would have been to prevent Burnett from having to go on short rest. Once Burnett was picked, the Yankees were committed to the three-man rotation throughout.
Pettitte is 3-1 with a 2.88 ERA in short rest during the playoffs, but because those starts came years ago, the Yankees were clearly more nervous about asking him to go on three days’ rest than they were either CC Sabathia or Burnett. Pettitte hasn’t even started on four days’ rest since Sept. 5. His final four regular-season starts and first four postseason starts all came on at least five days’ rest.
Working with the extra time off, Pettitte is 3-0 with a 3.24 ERA so far in the postseason. He allowed four runs over six innings in his Game 3 victory over the Phillies.

1. John - Nov 3, 2009 at 6:37 PM

In the words of Sheriff Black Bart “I must, I must!’ Just in case someone missed it the first time. PHILLIES IN SEVEN!!! MARK MY WORDS!!!

2. tom spaulding - Nov 3, 2009 at 6:40 PM

John,
    You make me laugh LOL….I think you have played these fools long enough……time to come out of the closet my friend….no not that closet….lmao…………time to admit you are a Yankee fan…..so while you are staring at ARODS ass and getting a hard on remember no one will judge you as long as you are true to thy self…..Lets Go Yankees!!!!!!

3. John - Nov 3, 2009 at 6:47 PM

Spaulding as in the company that makes balls? Nice name. As far as staring at ARODS ass and getting hard, I must admit that Miss Hudson is fairly attractive. PHILLIES IN SEVEN!!! MARK MY WORDS!!!

4. Stevem7 - Nov 3, 2009 at 6:47 PM

Goes to what I’ve been saying since Spring Training of 2008 … the NY Yankees do not have the pitching horses and a 3 man rotation is adequate proof of how tenuous this team is. Maybe after the 2009 off season they will improve but even if they get Lackey, he is the only star of the FA class. Everyone else are also rans and add nothing to the Yanks. At least with 4 strong pitchers in 2010 … CC, AJ, Wang, and Lackey they might have a good chance at being able to pull off 11 wins in October.

5. Dr. No - Nov 3, 2009 at 6:50 PM

Step right up and make your predictions. There are only three predictions left, so don’t be shy. Step right up.
    A. Yankees in 6
    B. Yankees in 7
    C. Phillies in 7
    You’ve got a 1 in 3 chance of being clarvoyant.

6. Ted Bowman - Nov 3, 2009 at 6:51 PM

Now that I think about it didnt Jimmy Rollins say that they would let the Yankees “Win One”…..I mean come one man!!! Yanks Just took two of three on their home field…..had there ace on the ropes in game five…..and yet John keps talking smack…he reminds me of an annoying mets fan …always whining and making predictions….Yankees fans make one prediction and that is come wednesday the Yankees will show up big time to play and give it all they have got……………..thats called class and heart….soemthing John clearly lacks…

7. kilroy - Nov 3, 2009 at 6:52 PM

I’m also sick and tired of whining little girls like you. Man up and grow a set of balls!! The big bad Yankees, they spend to much, they win to much, they….they…….WAAAAAAAAAA!! Go cry to your mommy sissy!!

8. your daddy - Nov 3, 2009 at 6:58 PM

ummm, again, never said anything about the team, money, farm system, etc…just the poor sports, win or lose, MOST yankee fans are….and again, i’m a fan of the game…even when a-rod makes a sick play, i give credit…go to anger management classes, take a breath and read what i had to say again…

9. John - Nov 3, 2009 at 6:58 PM

And you Bowman clearly lack proper grammar, punctuation and spelling skills. Along with that you clearly take things waaaaay too serious. PHILLIES IN SEVEN!!! MARK MY WORDS!!!

10. Ditto - Nov 3, 2009 at 6:59 PM

John – you also keep repeating a sentence that makes little sense.

11. Mode:Theif and Lair - Nov 3, 2009 at 7:08 PM

John, can I take a shot at this?
    How’s this for making sense, PHILLIES IN SEVEN!! MARK MY WORDS!!!

12. kilroy - Nov 3, 2009 at 7:09 PM

Ummmm………..I read what you wrote and its pure garbage!!!
    “when you lose its living in the past with “we have 26 titles” and excuse after excuse to why the payroll didn’t work this time….when anyone form another team brings up somethink like 2004 ist “thats history, quit living in the past”….you can’t have it both ways…thats why no one likes you….win graciously & lose graciously, or better yet JUST SHUT THE F UP!!!!!”
    Its crap like this that YOU wrote where I say SHUT THE F UP BITCH!! While your at it, take a class in English and learn how to spell.

13. RD - Nov 3, 2009 at 7:11 PM

Burnett had a bad day, but the Yankees roughed up Lee for 5 runs, if they can get 6 runs off Lee, just think what do to Pedro without him
    getting extra rest, plus Matsui is in the Lineup. Yankees in 6, Andy
    Pettite always is clutch.

14. MC - Nov 3, 2009 at 7:44 PM

Your Daddy, you seem very cynical towards the fans of the Yanx. If you were to attend a game and notice how a majority of the fans there are quite knowledgable about the game and truely do know baseball. Listening to fans that are from nebraska who are “yankees” fans is not a good way to form your opinion.
    To answer your other questions, the yankees fans who know point to 26 world titles because the nearest competition is at like 12. The Yankees have LOST more WS’s than any other team has won. The yankees had one bad situation in 2004. That should never overshadow 26 good ones. And up until that point they had also completely and utterly dominated the team involved in that debacle. So play whatever card you want. The true yankees fans know that A) their owner is more committed than any other in the league, and that B) 27 is just around the corner. No matter what John says,,,,mark my words….

15. your daddy - Nov 3, 2009 at 8:03 PM

MC, i can’t argue that there are knoledgable yankee fans in the world, and that the ones i have unfortunately had to deal with are not the majority. i regret never getting to a game in old yankee stadium because of the history that happened there. anyone that in not envious of the accomplishments the yankees have had would be lying if they said different. i’m not playing the ’04 card, i was just trying to make the point that with the majority of the fans i have had the displeasure of dealing with get stuck in an endless loop of throwing the 26 titles in my face in “conversation”. i know plenty of yankee fans that i would take a bullet for. as far as ’04 goes, yes the sox were outscored and for the most part outplayed in that series. there are also the sox fans that can’t say anything other that that as well and they are no better. i read a post from a yankee fan the other day that said something about making money and then investing it back in to the team, thats how you grow and become stronger. very true. not taking away that the yanks are a diehard bunch and will do just about anything to stay on top. nothing wrong with that. and truthfully, it not their fault that they grew up in decade that was purly dominated by the yanks so for a lack of a better tearm they have been spoiled by it, just realize everyones shite stinks and what goes around comes around. enjoy what you have while you have it

16. John - Nov 3, 2009 at 8:09 PM

Couldn’t have said it better myself Theif and Lair. You know regardless of what anyone says about you you’re alright in my book. PHILLIES IN SEVEN!!! MARK MY WORDS!!!

17. Old Gator - Nov 3, 2009 at 10:08 PM

To John and Bowman: you two guys remind me of that wise old saying: “There are two kinds of people in the world: those who think there are two kinds of people in the world, and those who don’t.”
    I don’t think anyone is going to be “rocked” tomorrow. Burnett may have taken all the evil spirits and rotten karma downtown with him. I think it’s going to be the tightest, tensest, most interesting game of the series, no matter who wins. As they say, I have no horses in this race; I prefer cockfighting and ratting dogs, this being Santeria country down here. Last week we sacrificed the local PETA chapter secretary to Ghede Nimbo and just let the roosters have at each other. Really rattled the old gazebo. Divining from the chicken entrails, I saw Petite and Pedro and their respective teams locked in a classic gutbuster. Not being particularly invested in either team, I can just sit back and enjoy the pure theatre.

18. Hey It's Todd - Nov 3, 2009 at 10:32 PM

Will PED-it and HGH-Fraud be able to bring a title to CASHMan’s Yankees? Here’s to a good case of swine flu ripping through the Yank’s clubhouse!

19. John - Nov 4, 2009 at 12:49 AM

Old Gator are you sure you’re not Hunter S. Thompson incarnate? For that last passage had a definte Gonzo feel about it. PHILLIES IN SEVEN!!! MARK MY WORDS!!!

20. John - Nov 4, 2009 at 12:55 AM

And I mean that as a compliment as HST was one of the greats! Right up there with Vonnegut and Mencken. PHILLIES IN SEVEN!!! MARK MY WORDS!!!

21. Old Gator - Nov 4, 2009 at 5:28 AM

Very, very…synchronous (Jungian for “weird”). See the message I put up for you on the “Lawyers, Guns and Money” blog re Zervon and Thompson just before segueing overt thisaway.
    Let’s do Mencken first. Got my big, leather-bound two volume set of The American Language proudly displayed up on the shelf here and, to make matters even more synchronous, my dad used to take me to Luchow’s – Mencken’s favorite restaurant this side of the stargate – on a regular basis when I was a kid. There was a photo of Mencken dining there on the wall above our usual booth, signed, and I didn’t appreciate who he was until about twenty years later. Great schnitzel a la hollstein there, by the way; Mencken was definitely right about the food (as about most other things). Someone once long ago called Geraldo Rivera the “H. L. Mencken” of his age and I damned near cracked a rib laughing. But even though he looked slightly like the real Al Capone but with hair, I’ll always confuse Mencken in my own fevered imagination with Gene Kelly as Hornbeck in Inherit the Wind.
    Vonnegut. I used to read to my youngest son from Cat’s Cradle (as well as from Kafka’s Metamorphosis) instead of Mother Goose when he was little. Musta took because he systematically moved my entire library of Vonnegut, reading volume by volume starting with Sirens of Titan slowly from my study to his room throughout junior high school. He’s in pre-law at Bard College now, fully intending to become the next William Kunstler, but he wants to win his cases. It has to be the Vonnegut. Anyway, I saw Kurt speak down here once, and he was, predictably, hysterical. When he died I went around in sackcloth and ashes for a week. Like I did when Jeffrey Loria dismantled the Marlins again.
    And best of all, if you ever get on the wrong side of an issue from me, I can tell you that you know what you can do with your rolling doughnut and know that you got the message loud and clear.

22. James - Nov 4, 2009 at 5:51 AM

I have always despaired at ‘team fans’ with this gotta win, gotta win dont care how but gotta win.These’team fans’ will even slag off their own players if they have an off night.
    For a change do yourselves a favour and please enjoy the game for what it is – entertainment, and cease this tit for tat fanaticism that demeans us all.

23. willmose - Nov 4, 2009 at 8:26 AM

As I said before, pitching AJ on three days rest was the biggest mistake of the series. Why? Because it leads to Pettitte on three days rest, and then CC on three days rest. Pettitte line won’t be any better than Burnett’s. Of course, the Yankees could come back late and win it tonight. If there is a game 7, it will again feature a Yankee starter on three days rest. Setting the series up so you have to pitch the starters with three days in the last four games is not easiest way to win the series.

24. John - Nov 4, 2009 at 11:46 AM

I must say that I enjoyed your synopsis of Vonnegut and Mencken. Like you I too picture Gene Kelly’s dashing looks whenever I think of Mr. Mencken and for some odd reason I also picture Spencer Tracy’s face as Henry Drummond as well. But I digress for while I can’t come close to any of the experiences you shared regarding both writers I can say that I share the same love of both. Actually what got me into reading both Vonnegut and Mencken were the constant references of each in the various works of Thompson (only later did I learn that the Hornbeck character was based on Mencken).
    While I haven’t read the complete set of Mencken’s “American Language” I have read parts, along with various short stories and articles by him. After reading his obit of William Jennings Bryan one can clearly see the influence he had on HST, especially when reading the obit he did on Tricky Dick, both of which are scathingly funny and sad depending on one’s opinion of Bryan & Nixon I guess.
    As for Vonnegut the first work of his I read was “Breakfast of Champions” and have been hooked ever since. Just recently I finished “Armageddon In Retrospect” and loved every bit of it especially the final speech he wrote (presented by his son) at Clowes Hall in Indianapolis.
    Rolling doughnut indeed! ;-) PHILLIES IN SEVEN!!! MARK MY WORDS!!!

25. TF in Tampa - Nov 4, 2009 at 1:15 PM

Helloooo there John and Old Gator, you guys are really sharp and intelligent too, we can all see that. Next we’ll be hearing about wedding balls I mean bells and all that nasty stuff that follows.
    This is suppose to be about Baseball and the WS, not critiquing each others downtime reading habits. Get back to the business at hand, you both must have forgotten to take your Focus Factor meds this morning.
    My wife was put on notice Tues morning over coffee, the 60’HDTV is mine from 7:30pm till Rivera and Posada are hugging each at the mound and Frankie’s singing “NEW YORK, NEW YORK” for the last time this season.
    What drama tonight! The Heros from centerfields Monument park will be all over the new stadium tonight and smiling when its finished and in the history books. Oh no, I’m back to the books thing again.
    Think Baseball!!!

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5655)
  2. M. Kemp (3208)
  3. C. McGehee (3007)
  4. J. Kang (2998)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2996)
  1. J. Upton (2942)