Nov 3, 2009, 4:23 PM EST
The Yankees confirmed Tuesday that Andy Pettitte would take the mound on short rest and start Game 6 against the Phillies and Pedro Martinez on Wednesday.
It was obvious the Bombers would go that route from the moment that A.J. Burnett was chosen to start Game 5. If Chad Gaudin was going to pitch, it would have been to prevent Burnett from having to go on short rest. Once Burnett was picked, the Yankees were committed to the three-man rotation throughout.
Pettitte is 3-1 with a 2.88 ERA in short rest during the playoffs, but because those starts came years ago, the Yankees were clearly more nervous about asking him to go on three days’ rest than they were either CC Sabathia or Burnett. Pettitte hasn’t even started on four days’ rest since Sept. 5. His final four regular-season starts and first four postseason starts all came on at least five days’ rest.
Working with the extra time off, Pettitte is 3-0 with a 3.24 ERA so far in the postseason. He allowed four runs over six innings in his Game 3 victory over the Phillies.
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 20
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 74
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 48
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 18
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)