Nov 4, 2009, 1:20 PM EST
Mark Bowman of MLB.com reports that Tim Hudson “has passed his physical and essentially made his three-year contract extension a done deal.”
Unlike the Rays and Pirates with yesterday’s Akinori Iwamura-for-Jesse Chavez trade the Braves will likely wait until after the World Series to officially announce the Hudson deal, but he’s expected to receive about $27 million over three years.
Hudson’s old contract contained a $12 million mutual option for 2010, but the two sides reportedly worked out a new deal last week and merely had to wait until the insurance company approved a doctor to do the physical exam. Atlanta had strong rotation depth even before re-signing Hudson through 2012, so the Braves seem almost guaranteed to trade a starting pitcher this offseason.
They’d no doubt like to unload the remaining three years and $45 million on Derek Lowe’s contract, but if that proves impossible parting with Javier Vazquez or Kenshin Kawakami are also options. With a front three of Hudson, Tommy Hanson, and Jair Jurrjens in place for at least the next three years general manager Frank Wren has quite a bit of flexibility and the assets to address other areas.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)