Nov 4, 2009, 1:20 PM EST
Mark Bowman of MLB.com reports that Tim Hudson “has passed his physical and essentially made his three-year contract extension a done deal.”
Unlike the Rays and Pirates with yesterday’s Akinori Iwamura-for-Jesse Chavez trade the Braves will likely wait until after the World Series to officially announce the Hudson deal, but he’s expected to receive about $27 million over three years.
Hudson’s old contract contained a $12 million mutual option for 2010, but the two sides reportedly worked out a new deal last week and merely had to wait until the insurance company approved a doctor to do the physical exam. Atlanta had strong rotation depth even before re-signing Hudson through 2012, so the Braves seem almost guaranteed to trade a starting pitcher this offseason.
They’d no doubt like to unload the remaining three years and $45 million on Derek Lowe’s contract, but if that proves impossible parting with Javier Vazquez or Kenshin Kawakami are also options. With a front three of Hudson, Tommy Hanson, and Jair Jurrjens in place for at least the next three years general manager Frank Wren has quite a bit of flexibility and the assets to address other areas.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 46
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 170
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 52
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (172)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (77)