Nov 4, 2009, 12:37 PM EDT
* Fired as Rockies manager in the middle of this season, Clint Hurdle is reportedly close to replacing Rudy Jaramillo as the Rangers’ hitting coach. Rangers Ballpark in Arlington isn’t quite Coors Field, but Hurdle definitely picked a good place to be judged on hitters’ production.
* George W. Bush threw out the first pitch before yesterday’s Game 3 of the Japan Series between the Yomiuri Giants and Nippon Ham Fighters. He tossed a one-hopper to the plate and then watched the game in a private suite with Japanese home run king Sadaharu Oh and former prime minister Junichiro Koizumi.
* Mary J. Blige will sing the national anthem prior to Game 6 tonight in New York after Canadian-born Alanis Morissette did the honors before Game 5 in Philadelphia. Sadly, no one followed my advice to get Boyz II Men back to together.
* The cover of today’s New York Post has Pedro Martinez’s head superimposed on the body of a baby wearing a diaper. Seriously.
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 29
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 46
- Jon Lester is willing to return to the Red Sox as a free agent even if they trade him 22
- Jose Abreu is third-fastest in MLB history to reach 30 career home runs 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (200)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (163)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)