Nov 4, 2009, 12:37 PM EDT
* Fired as Rockies manager in the middle of this season, Clint Hurdle is reportedly close to replacing Rudy Jaramillo as the Rangers’ hitting coach. Rangers Ballpark in Arlington isn’t quite Coors Field, but Hurdle definitely picked a good place to be judged on hitters’ production.
* George W. Bush threw out the first pitch before yesterday’s Game 3 of the Japan Series between the Yomiuri Giants and Nippon Ham Fighters. He tossed a one-hopper to the plate and then watched the game in a private suite with Japanese home run king Sadaharu Oh and former prime minister Junichiro Koizumi.
* Mary J. Blige will sing the national anthem prior to Game 6 tonight in New York after Canadian-born Alanis Morissette did the honors before Game 5 in Philadelphia. Sadly, no one followed my advice to get Boyz II Men back to together.
* The cover of today’s New York Post has Pedro Martinez’s head superimposed on the body of a baby wearing a diaper. Seriously.
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 0
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 10
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 87
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (87)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (78)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)