Nov 4, 2009, 12:37 PM EDT
* Fired as Rockies manager in the middle of this season, Clint Hurdle is reportedly close to replacing Rudy Jaramillo as the Rangers’ hitting coach. Rangers Ballpark in Arlington isn’t quite Coors Field, but Hurdle definitely picked a good place to be judged on hitters’ production.
* George W. Bush threw out the first pitch before yesterday’s Game 3 of the Japan Series between the Yomiuri Giants and Nippon Ham Fighters. He tossed a one-hopper to the plate and then watched the game in a private suite with Japanese home run king Sadaharu Oh and former prime minister Junichiro Koizumi.
* Mary J. Blige will sing the national anthem prior to Game 6 tonight in New York after Canadian-born Alanis Morissette did the honors before Game 5 in Philadelphia. Sadly, no one followed my advice to get Boyz II Men back to together.
* The cover of today’s New York Post has Pedro Martinez’s head superimposed on the body of a baby wearing a diaper. Seriously.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 27
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)