Nov 4, 2009, 3:02 PM EDT
* After turning in an absolutely brutal second half that contributed to the Tigers coughing up their AL Central lead, Brandon Inge underwent surgery yesterday to address chronic patellar tendinitis in both knees.
He’ll be shut down for about six weeks, but should have plenty of time to get healthy by spring training. Inge has one season and $6.6 million remaining on his contract.
* Bruce Levine of ESPNChicago.com reports that the Cubs and impending free agent reliever John Grabow are working on a two-year contract worth around $7 million. Acquired from the Pirates at midseason, Grabow posted a 3.24 ERA and 16/12 K/BB ratio in 25 innings for the Cubs. His control is spotty, but Grabow has generally been a decent left-handed setup man.
* Each year the Arizona Fall League has a “Rising Stars Game” featuring the best of the prospect bunch and for anyone interested in getting a good look at No. 1 overall pick Stephen Strasburg (or the various other future All-Stars) the game will be broadcast Saturday afternoon on MLB Network.
* New Yorker and Yankees fan Lady Gaga has recently taken to comparing herself to Mariano Rivera during interviews. “I feel like I’m Rivera. I’m a closer.” More like Ruben Rivera, if you ask me.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 3
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)