Nov 4, 2009, 3:02 PM EST
* After turning in an absolutely brutal second half that contributed to the Tigers coughing up their AL Central lead, Brandon Inge underwent surgery yesterday to address chronic patellar tendinitis in both knees.
He’ll be shut down for about six weeks, but should have plenty of time to get healthy by spring training. Inge has one season and $6.6 million remaining on his contract.
* Bruce Levine of ESPNChicago.com reports that the Cubs and impending free agent reliever John Grabow are working on a two-year contract worth around $7 million. Acquired from the Pirates at midseason, Grabow posted a 3.24 ERA and 16/12 K/BB ratio in 25 innings for the Cubs. His control is spotty, but Grabow has generally been a decent left-handed setup man.
* Each year the Arizona Fall League has a “Rising Stars Game” featuring the best of the prospect bunch and for anyone interested in getting a good look at No. 1 overall pick Stephen Strasburg (or the various other future All-Stars) the game will be broadcast Saturday afternoon on MLB Network.
* New Yorker and Yankees fan Lady Gaga has recently taken to comparing herself to Mariano Rivera during interviews. “I feel like I’m Rivera. I’m a closer.” More like Ruben Rivera, if you ask me.
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 27
- Media paying for athlete interviews? Not likely. But watch this stuff closely anyway. 18
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 12
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 65
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 82
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)