Nov 4, 2009, 3:02 PM EDT
* After turning in an absolutely brutal second half that contributed to the Tigers coughing up their AL Central lead, Brandon Inge underwent surgery yesterday to address chronic patellar tendinitis in both knees.
He’ll be shut down for about six weeks, but should have plenty of time to get healthy by spring training. Inge has one season and $6.6 million remaining on his contract.
* Bruce Levine of ESPNChicago.com reports that the Cubs and impending free agent reliever John Grabow are working on a two-year contract worth around $7 million. Acquired from the Pirates at midseason, Grabow posted a 3.24 ERA and 16/12 K/BB ratio in 25 innings for the Cubs. His control is spotty, but Grabow has generally been a decent left-handed setup man.
* Each year the Arizona Fall League has a “Rising Stars Game” featuring the best of the prospect bunch and for anyone interested in getting a good look at No. 1 overall pick Stephen Strasburg (or the various other future All-Stars) the game will be broadcast Saturday afternoon on MLB Network.
* New Yorker and Yankees fan Lady Gaga has recently taken to comparing herself to Mariano Rivera during interviews. “I feel like I’m Rivera. I’m a closer.” More like Ruben Rivera, if you ask me.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 68
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 58
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 52
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11