Did the Yankees buy their title?

Nov 5, 2009, 10:25 AM EDT

Here are the first two I’ve seen of what I am sure will be many sour grapes reactions to the Yankees’ title today:

Kevin Cowherd of the Baltimore Sun:

I hate the Yankees. I feel like crying whenever they win. Still, it was inevitable that the season finish this way. The Yankees were the best team in baseball — the best team money could buy AGAIN.

Scott Miller of CBS Sports.com:

The World Series takes personal checks. Credit and debit cards, too. Score one for the Yankees, and their bankers. Hideki Matsui as World Series MVP? Maybe. The three home runs were clutch, and the World Series record-tying six RBI in Game 6 were smashing. But the chief bean counter who sat behind the desk last winter and approved the expenditure of nearly $425 million to hoist CC Sabathia, Mark Teixeira and A.J. Burnett aboard the U.S.S. Yankee? Now there’s a true Yankee.

Personally I find this line of reasoning to be tired and lazy.  Everyone has their own ideas of what ails baseball from a business perspective, and certainly the Yankees are playing a different game than everyone else these days.  But counting the Yankees’ titles and chalking them up to dollars alone is nonsense.

The Yankees payroll is obviously gigantic, but it did not come out of general lockstep with all of the other teams until around 2002. Before then they didn’t always lead the league — they were behind the Orioles in 1998, for example, — and when they did lead the league, only a couple of million bucks separated them from a pack of the next highest payrolls.  In fact, 2002 was the first time they were as much as $10 million higher than anyone else. Before then: four titles in the Jeter era.

The Bombers’ payroll exploded in 2002 and continued to escalate through 2008.  They somehow managed to buy no titles during that time.  Much is made about signing Sabathia and Teixeira this year, but their 2009 payroll is actually lower than 2008’s.

I’m not going to drink the Yankee-fan Kool-Aid and say that there’s some level playing field out there. But if the past fifteen years have shown anything, it’s that even if you can buy general competitiveness, you can’t simply buy a World Title. To get that, you have to be smart, you have to execute and you have to be a bit lucky too.

The Yankees were all of those things this year, and to leave any part of that out is to fail to tell the whole story.

1. Jon Mathis - Jan 10, 2010 at 10:53 PM

This is a very good background check service to check on any and all of any potential sex offenders living near you.

2. fish oil - Jan 16, 2010 at 8:01 AM

The prices of fish oil products has risen significantly. I am giving my child 2 capsules a day to help him with memory. Does anybody know where I an find an affordable solution? By the way, it is great. His grade went up 2 points after consuming fish oil capsules.

3. fish oil omega3 - Jan 16, 2010 at 9:01 AM

I found a web site is China that sells those fish oil capsules that take care of the fatty acids. I am not sure that they are healthy to eat but I am tempted by the cost. Any suggestion how to have better control over the food safety of my diet supplements?

4. fish oil - Jan 16, 2010 at 9:17 AM

I have a Mac air. Everybody say that there are no viruses for apple and I was wondering if it makes sense to buy firewall software just in case? Are the Nortons of the world trying to build up fear?

5. Maria Hrafn - Jan 27, 2010 at 12:24 AM

Hey I just wanted to let you know, I really like the written material on your web site. But I am using Flock on a machine running version 8.x of Crashbang Ubuntu and the UI aren’t quite kosh er. Not a serious deal, I can still fundamentally read the articles and look for for info, but just wanted to inform you about that. The navigation bar is kind of tough to use with the config I’m running. Keep up the good work!

6. Isabella Costain - Feb 4, 2010 at 10:32 AM

hey everyone remember the TTC collector who was filmed napping? Surprise surprise, yesterday another TTC driver, who was 15 minutes late took his regular 7 minuet ‘doughnut break’, leaving the passengers sitting in the bus. The dude even threatened the passenger that confronted him! Check it out, (and digg it to make it viral) –

7. black ice firewall - Feb 5, 2010 at 12:06 PM

Thank you soooooooooooooooooo much for this great post This is exactly what I needed this morning :)

8. Smith@ cheap rim and tire packages - Feb 6, 2010 at 7:01 AM

I was wondering if one of you might have got an update when or if a new version of the Charger? I got some news that they totally redisigned it to compete with the New Camaro?

9. Jeneva Mccatty - Feb 13, 2010 at 6:08 PM

Hey thanks for posting this, found it to be a great read after finding it on Bing searching for similar topics and i shall pass the link on to severa friends.

10. Ludivina Bayes - Feb 14, 2010 at 6:13 PM

haha, Diddy is so funny! I love him.

11. Demetrice Yacono - Feb 17, 2010 at 4:15 PM

Hi there, when viewing at your blog i see some kind of weird codes all over the page, in case it’s important I just thought I’d let you know it says this with all sorts of other stuff after it: “Warning: Cannot modify header information – headers already sent in wp-settings.php line 12″

12. Cricket Headlines - Feb 28, 2010 at 3:59 PM

This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I enjoy seeing websites that understand the value of providing a prime resource for free. I truly loved reading your post. Thanks!

13. watch tv and movies - Mar 8, 2010 at 5:55 PM

Great share :)

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (4904)