Nov 5, 2009, 1:52 PM EDT
When the Diamondbacks traded Jon Garland to the Dodgers on August 31 they agreed to pay his remaining 2009 salary and cover his $2.5 million buyout for 2010, so it comes as no surprise that Los Angeles officially declined the right-hander’s $10 million option this afternoon.
Garland pitched well for the Dodgers down the stretch, going 3-2 with a 2.72 ERA in six starts, but didn’t appear in the NLDS and was left off the NLCS roster. He finished the year 11-13 with a 4.01 ERA and 109/61 K/BB ratio in 204 innings overall, making at least 32 starts for the eighth straight season and posting an ERA in the 4.00s for the seventh time during that span.
His strikeout rate is among the worst in baseball and Garland doesn’t have especially good control, but he’s incredibly durable, induces plenty of ground balls, and is still just 30 years old despite seemingly being around forever. Garland received $8.75 million in guaranteed money from Arizona as a free agent last offseason and should have no trouble securing a one- or two-year deal for at least $5 million per season this winter.
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 1
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 12
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 73
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 42
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 217
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (217)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)