Nov 5, 2009, 12:31 PM EDT
On his way home from managing the Yankees to their 27th championship last night Joe Girardi reportedly “stopped to help a woman who had lost control of her car on the Cross County Parkway and crashed into a wall.”
According to Hoa Nguyen of the New York Journal News, the crash happened at 2:25 a.m. and 27-year-old Marie Henry was “stunned by the accident, but otherwise uninjured.”
As for Girardi, he “had passed through a driving while intoxicated checkpoint” that was being run by “a self-described huge Yankees fan” police officer who “congratulated him on his first win as a manager and waved him through.”
Nguyen adds that Andy Pettitte “also passed through earlier” and Westchester County police officer Kathleen Cristiano explained that they “came through with a smile.” All of which is perhaps much ado about nothing, but it’s at least worth noting that Girardi and Pettitte were making their way home from a Yankees clubhouse that was just shown on national television drenched in champagne.
After flagging down police offers Girardi reportedly told them that he “had to get going” and “ran across traffic again to reach his car.” As county Sgt. Thomas McGurn put it: “He could have gotten killed. Traffic goes by at 80 miles per hour.” Quite a night, huh?
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 3
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 209
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 91
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (211)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (121)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)