Nov 5, 2009, 12:31 PM EDT
On his way home from managing the Yankees to their 27th championship last night Joe Girardi reportedly “stopped to help a woman who had lost control of her car on the Cross County Parkway and crashed into a wall.”
According to Hoa Nguyen of the New York Journal News, the crash happened at 2:25 a.m. and 27-year-old Marie Henry was “stunned by the accident, but otherwise uninjured.”
As for Girardi, he “had passed through a driving while intoxicated checkpoint” that was being run by “a self-described huge Yankees fan” police officer who “congratulated him on his first win as a manager and waved him through.”
Nguyen adds that Andy Pettitte “also passed through earlier” and Westchester County police officer Kathleen Cristiano explained that they “came through with a smile.” All of which is perhaps much ado about nothing, but it’s at least worth noting that Girardi and Pettitte were making their way home from a Yankees clubhouse that was just shown on national television drenched in champagne.
After flagging down police offers Girardi reportedly told them that he “had to get going” and “ran across traffic again to reach his car.” As county Sgt. Thomas McGurn put it: “He could have gotten killed. Traffic goes by at 80 miles per hour.” Quite a night, huh?
- Zack Wheeler goes six scoreless innings in MLB debut 4
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 36
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- Brian Cashman calls out Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long 52
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires