Nov 5, 2009, 9:55 AM EST
“They were the better team this series. Do I think we’re the better team? I really do. They just executed.”
Look, I wasn’t critical of Rollins’ prediction before the Series, because if I was the manager of a team I’d want my players to think they’re going to win. You don’t be cocky or disrespectful about it — and I don’t think Rollins was — but if someone asks you for a prediction, go ahead, say you’re going to win.
But after the fact? Whatever, Jimmy. We can argue all day long about who’s better on paper and whether winning a short series truly means you’re the “best” team and all of that (indeed, I’ve made that argument myself), but in this case Rollins has no leg to stand on:
The Yankees were a better team during the regular season.
The Yankees were the better team during the postseason.
The Yankees were the better team on paper.
The Yankees are the better team from a historical perspective.
Could the Phillies have won this series? Sure, anything can happen. Are they a good team? Absolutely. But if they had won it, it would have been an upset, and for anyone to say otherwise is pretty deluded.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 255
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (261)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)