Nov 5, 2009, 9:55 AM EDT
“They were the better team this series. Do I think we’re the better team? I really do. They just executed.”
Look, I wasn’t critical of Rollins’ prediction before the Series, because if I was the manager of a team I’d want my players to think they’re going to win. You don’t be cocky or disrespectful about it — and I don’t think Rollins was — but if someone asks you for a prediction, go ahead, say you’re going to win.
But after the fact? Whatever, Jimmy. We can argue all day long about who’s better on paper and whether winning a short series truly means you’re the “best” team and all of that (indeed, I’ve made that argument myself), but in this case Rollins has no leg to stand on:
The Yankees were a better team during the regular season.
The Yankees were the better team during the postseason.
The Yankees were the better team on paper.
The Yankees are the better team from a historical perspective.
Could the Phillies have won this series? Sure, anything can happen. Are they a good team? Absolutely. But if they had won it, it would have been an upset, and for anyone to say otherwise is pretty deluded.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 21
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 20
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 43
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 32
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 23
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)