Jimmy Rollins: the Phillies are still the better team

Nov 5, 2009, 9:55 AM EST

Take it away Jimmy:

“They were the better team this series. Do I think we’re the better team? I really do. They just executed.”

Um, yeah.

Look, I wasn’t critical of Rollins’ prediction before the Series, because if I was the manager of a team I’d want my players to think they’re going to win. You don’t be cocky or disrespectful about it — and I don’t think Rollins was — but if someone asks you for a prediction, go ahead, say you’re going to win.

But after the fact? Whatever, Jimmy. We can argue all day long about who’s better on paper and whether winning a short series truly means you’re the “best” team and all of that (indeed, I’ve made that argument myself), but in this case Rollins has no leg to stand on:

The Yankees were a better team during the regular season.

The Yankees were the better team during the postseason.

The Yankees were the better team on paper.

The Yankees are the better team from a historical perspective.

Could the Phillies have won this series? Sure, anything can happen.  Are they a good team? Absolutely.  But if they had won it, it would have been an upset, and for anyone to say otherwise is pretty deluded.

1. Who won Anyway - Nov 5, 2009 at 1:16 PM

Who won this series? The Yankee fans seem pretty bitter. Get over what other people say – you won.

2. nyyankee4 - Nov 5, 2009 at 1:18 PM

People have to understand, when you are always a quality team and finish near the top, your not going to get the high draft picks to build a team. Notice the last time the yanks finished poorly for a stretch they were able to draft solid young talent which has sustained them over the years. The point is, the yankees have to go out and buy talent because they wont get the “top prospect” draft picks. And when your employer is loaded your future employees wont sell themselves cheaply. Just remember, the yankees put alot of money into the banks of just about every team and owner. Some pocket the money or remodel their stadiums with it(Royals)and some go out and compete with the yankees for players with money the yankees funnel back to them, so don`t be surprised when the Yankees raise the ante. Those other teams play baseball, the Yankees are baseball.

3. Old Gator - Nov 5, 2009 at 1:20 PM

The Phillies will win in nine games! MARK MY WORDS!!!!!!!!
    Sorry John…couldn’t resist. But any true fan of Thompson, Mencken and Vonnegut will find a way to laugh…..

4. Babe Ruth - Nov 5, 2009 at 1:27 PM

Stop crying all you Yankee haters….You cannot buy a championship! If you could then the Yankees would be the champs every year and then MLB would impose a salary cap. The Yankees have had the most expensive team since 1999 and this is their first World Series win since 2000. The truth is the Yankees are the winningest franchise in sports. Deal with it.

5. John - Nov 5, 2009 at 1:27 PM

Phillies in 9 MARK MY WORDS!!!

6. AYankee - Nov 5, 2009 at 1:27 PM

Lets see, if spending money on baseball players is so bad, why not have all teams see the kind of talent they can generate by paying nothing. I`ll take a bet that even in that situation the legendary Yankees will attract better talent willing to play for nothing. Who can tell me why?

7. PAUL - Nov 5, 2009 at 1:32 PM

AND IF THATS TRUE THEN HOW DO U EXPLAIN 9 YRS NO TITLE….THE RAYS/THE PHILS AND ALL THE OTHERS WHO WIN WITH LESS PAYROLL…SO THE WEAK CORALATION TO MONEY = TITLE IS SO SCHOOLYARD……HEART MAKES CHAMPS NOT MONEY AS THE RED SOX LOST AND THEY HAVE THE 2ND BIGGEST PAYROLL

8. John - Nov 5, 2009 at 1:36 PM

Note that the “John” who wrote “Phillies in 9″ is an imposter! As for me not “spamming” (I didn’t know commenting was considered spamming), wewous and Roleston, I am still here but unlike Mr. Rollins I’m not going to talk schit. In fact this morning, on the Matsui blog, I commented on how I feel today which I’ll repost here just for you ;-)
    “I just finished baking my humble pie and now I sit here eating it as I type. To all of you Yankee fans out there, whom I have riled up over the past week or so (you all know who you are), congratulations on your team winning their 27th World Series Pennant! Enjoy your celebration!
    Oh and Shely I won’t be needing to see that shrink of yours for I have an appointment with my own, his name is Jack Daniels. PHILLIES ARE OUT!!! MARK MY WORDS!!!”

9. PhilsFan - Nov 5, 2009 at 1:39 PM

Craig, you would have a little more credibility if you also took the Dodgers to task for doing the same thing.
    Wrong for Rollins to say, wrong for the ENTIRE DODGERS team to say as well. Please provide the link to the blog where you took issue with that

10. Wonder Kat - Nov 5, 2009 at 1:44 PM

One word. Scoreboard.

11. Aspen - Nov 5, 2009 at 1:46 PM

I Love The Fact That All The Yankee Fans Have to come on Here And Defend Their Titles.. If Its Not An Issue… Why Do You Yankee Fans Get So Bent When People Say “Yankees Buy Titles”…? Because Its True… Just a Guess…

12. Matt from Texas - Nov 5, 2009 at 1:52 PM

Heck, I’m a Phillies fan who despises the Yankees, and I don’t agree with Rollins. If you think you’re the better team you gotta prove it on the field. We didn’t. Yankees did. End of story.

13. Robert - Nov 5, 2009 at 1:53 PM

I am a big Phillies fan but it was obvious to me Yankees deserved it and were the better team. Pitching for Philadelphia STUNK! Only Cliff Lee could tame the Yankees. Pedro should have been pulled before Matsui blew the game open with his 2 run single after his home run. Bad coaching/Bad pitching… Sorry Philadelphia you lost and Rollins is a sore loser.

14. AYankee - Nov 5, 2009 at 1:56 PM

It`s also the truth that the Yankees have won 40 Pennants and 27 World Series. I guess the teams you support are just too greedy to spend the money to buy the talent that can deliver those numbers. Maybe you can talk “The Boss” into making a small interest loan to the poor teams in baseball if it bothers you so much that he loves the game enough to spend the money to win those titles?

15. GERRY - Nov 5, 2009 at 2:01 PM

TEST

16. Mike - Nov 5, 2009 at 2:03 PM

I’m tired of his sorry excuse for a person, now i see why Mets fans hate him sooooooooooooooooo MucHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.Jack_____!!!!!!!

17. Jayster - Nov 5, 2009 at 2:05 PM

Mr. Rollins, I beleive that execution is the hallmark of the better team…
    And for those who say the Yankees bought the title, I guess it was a long term plan, since they have been spending big since their last title in 2000, and in that time some very small payroll teams have won the series. And some other very high payroll teams as well (Boston wasn’t shy in spending to get their 2 rings, where they???) The purpose of any major sporting team is to win. Unless you want every team to be like the LA Clippers or Pittsburgh Pirates who refuse to spend real money to win and ship off whatever talent they have to other teams, then get over it. The goal is to win, period,and if that means spending bucks, so be it. I’m sure that given the opportunity, any other team would do the same thing. None of them would say “oh no, thanks for the money, but we prefer to lose but be considered ‘doing it the right way'”.

18. millyfanilly - Nov 5, 2009 at 2:06 PM

When I see a neighbor rolling down the street in a new $150,000 car, I don’t run inside and start complaining online about how unfair life is that he gets to spend more on a car than I do. That’s life and people need to learn to accept that some people have and spend more money than others. Baseball is a capitalistic venture, just like life (at least in this country).
    The Yanks have had their fair share of expensive blunders that they’ve had to live with (Pavano, Giambi) but good decisions and good luck helped them this year. I’m pretty much over all of the discussion on the wrongs with baseball. If small market teams can’t survive, tough – there are plenty of cities that can support a team. The Nationals – you know, last-place finishing Nationals – tripled attendance a year after moving to DC from Montreal. I’m sure they got a sweeter TV deal in DC than they had in Montreal too. With higher attendance and more TV money, they could have gone out and got Sabathia, right? But they didn’t.
    Is the issue about teams with money paying for talent or teams that don’t spend money being treated as badly as the guy who can’t afford the latest Mercedes Benz?
    (Keep in mind that the Phillies were as mercenary as the Yankees (Lee, Pedro) and just lost.)

19. Justin - Nov 5, 2009 at 2:06 PM

Jimmy Rollins is a fruit and a cry baby.

20. mattyankee - Nov 5, 2009 at 2:17 PM

Dear Jimmy:
    Don’t you ever get tired of being wrong? Your team was beaten in every facet of the game and you were clearly second best. Good luck with Pedro and Cole next year. XOXO

21. Yankee4vrfan - Nov 5, 2009 at 2:29 PM

Why, thank you, love to.

22. NY Guy - Nov 5, 2009 at 2:30 PM

Your comment really shows such class!!!
    By the way. It was a great series and the better team won.

23. JohnnyYankee - Nov 5, 2009 at 2:33 PM

Need to purchase a douchebag filter for my PC so I don’t have to read the whining coming out of Rollins’ mouth.

24. Powersgirl - Nov 5, 2009 at 2:37 PM

“You have no baseball team of worth & your football team couldn’t beat a Division 2 college team.”
    So, basically you are saying that the NY (New Jersey) Giants are a worse football team than a Division 2 college team? I am sure that I don’t need to remind you of a certain game this weekend that ended with a 40-17 CRUSHING of the Giants by the Eagles. Congrats to the Yankees, who really played a better series. But come on.

25. SteveYankeeFan - Nov 5, 2009 at 2:38 PM

For all baseball fans, who hate the Yankees, if their team or owners of their team had the money and were willing to spend it to won a World Series they would of done it. But guess what you didn’t, get over it you lost and the Yankess won (Rollins),(Red Sox Fans) and all others. They did what they were paid to do, we have been waiting a long time, glad we got one more before the 2000’s ended.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4672)
  2. M. Kemp (3720)
  3. M. Cabrera (2919)
  4. J. Kang (2723)
  5. M. Morse (2607)
  1. J. Upton (2600)
  2. W. Middlebrooks (2265)
  3. A. Rios (2261)