Jimmy Rollins: the Phillies are still the better team

Nov 5, 2009, 9:55 AM EDT

Take it away Jimmy:

“They were the better team this series. Do I think we’re the better team? I really do. They just executed.”

Um, yeah.

Look, I wasn’t critical of Rollins’ prediction before the Series, because if I was the manager of a team I’d want my players to think they’re going to win. You don’t be cocky or disrespectful about it — and I don’t think Rollins was — but if someone asks you for a prediction, go ahead, say you’re going to win.

But after the fact? Whatever, Jimmy. We can argue all day long about who’s better on paper and whether winning a short series truly means you’re the “best” team and all of that (indeed, I’ve made that argument myself), but in this case Rollins has no leg to stand on:

The Yankees were a better team during the regular season.

The Yankees were the better team during the postseason.

The Yankees were the better team on paper.

The Yankees are the better team from a historical perspective.

Could the Phillies have won this series? Sure, anything can happen.  Are they a good team? Absolutely.  But if they had won it, it would have been an upset, and for anyone to say otherwise is pretty deluded.

1. comeonman - Nov 5, 2009 at 2:41 PM

and Lidge.
    Jimmy Jelly Roll

2. comeonman - Nov 5, 2009 at 2:44 PM

40-17 CRUSHING of the Giants by the Eagles
    THE EAGLES WON THE TOILET BOWL……..
    AND THE
    GIANTS WON THE SUPER BOWL ………..

3. Rob - Nov 5, 2009 at 2:46 PM

very nice language. This a public site that my kid reads. Typical Yankee fan with no class.

4. Chris Cundiff - Nov 5, 2009 at 2:47 PM

Sox fan here and not at all rooting for the Yanks (with the exception of Johnny Damon), but the better team won and I am not afraid to say it. Hopefully things will be different next year. People have no right to whine about the Yanks spending. This is the first time in 10 years it has paid off and maybe if some of the teams would spend some of the money the richer teams pay them (hello Pittsburg) on players instead of pocketing it, they would be more competitive. People pay to see the Sox and Yanks play, it is not our fault that other cities do not want to support thier teams. The Sox played Tampa in Sept w/ Tampa still within range of doing some damage for the wildcard and they were drawing under 20,000 people. That is embarrasing and I feel no sympathy for them.

5. Yankee4vrfan - Nov 5, 2009 at 2:47 PM

Why, thank you, love to.

6. MrsG - Nov 5, 2009 at 2:48 PM

I am a huge Yankee fan, let’s get that out of the way. That said I am so sick of hearing people say we bought this title. Um, do we not always have the highest payroll in baseball? Yes we seem to – but as evidenced by the past 9 years all the money in the world cannot buy you a title. If that were the case then why play seeing as the outcome is a given. Most Money = Title! This is a stupid argument, yes they have pricey talent but without chemistry and execution you will end up right where they were last year watching the post season from your couch. Other high priced clubs have failed at winning it all just as lower payroll teams have gotten themselves a ring despite their bottom line. They truth is the Yankees are and always will be the fans and the leagues whipping boy on this subject but if you actually cared to give them their due you would see that it took a lot of hard work to get where they are, not just a lot of money!!

7. PAYANKEEFAN - Nov 5, 2009 at 2:48 PM

Right back at you!!!!

8. Ken - Nov 5, 2009 at 2:50 PM

Well, the Yankees do try to buy the championship every year…And quite frankly, so should every other team (listen up McCourt). Sometimes it doesn’t work. Sure, money can’t really buy you a championship, but it can sure tip the scales in your favor.
    Most businesses try to use their cash wisely to make things advantageous for them, baseball shouldn’t be any different. The Yanks are probably a little different as they can take chances that other teams can’t financially but that’s sort of a way to measure success.
    As much as I can’t stand the Yankees, they are all about the product. Yes, they have a ton of money – but – they did get extremely lucky back in the ’90’s with the work that Stick Michael did with their scouting. Also, they will eat a contract if things aren’t working out as expected, which not very many other teams are willing to do.
    The small market owners have to stop pocketing the money and try to put a good product out on the field. It would make this an even better game. I think Selig needs to address this in a big way.
    The Yankees were simply the better team this series. I think that’s safe to say since the WS was the only playoff series this year where the umpiring was good and didn’t have an effect on the outcome.
    They are the greatest franchise in all of sports (for better or worse – for me it’s definitely worse). Just tip your hat and plan to come out next year to try and knock them off the top. There’s nothing else you can do.

9. Phillyfan - Nov 5, 2009 at 2:50 PM

I’m a Phillies fan but disagree with Jimmy. Our team did not perform as well. I must say that reading these comments from Yankee FANS really shows where the LACK OF CLASS truly is.

10. David N - Nov 5, 2009 at 2:56 PM

WHY?? does everyone have such a problem with the Yanks spending money?
    They are a business, and businesses expect to succeed. If you want your business to succeed, make AND spend money. Period.
    So should Bank of America, for instance, give up branches, accounts and holdings until they, and everyone other bank, becomes the size of your local community bank? I don’t think so. Baseball is an industry made up of several companies (teams). There are going to be your Fortune 500 companies and there are going to be your Mom and Pop shops. There’s no need to socialize baseball, too.

11. yankeefan - Nov 5, 2009 at 2:59 PM

The yanks spend more money than any other team, however they make more money than any other team. Seems like a good idea. There are other owners who could spend that much but choose not too.

12. we earned ours - Nov 5, 2009 at 3:03 PM

Phillies….grew the team threw the farm system and trades, developing players for years. Yankees, taking credit for other teams hard work and scouting, buying everyone at the prime of their careers. Yanks havent had a home grown allstar since Jeter, and he’s been around what, 20 years.

13. we earned ours - Nov 5, 2009 at 3:10 PM

14. Chris Cundiff - Nov 5, 2009 at 3:13 PM

I cannot believe I am defending the Yankees, but to address “we earned ours”, I think 5 world series w/ home grown talent (Jeter, Posada, Rivera, Petite to name a few) speaks volumes. Having 20% of your team stay around and succeed that long is impressive and they have not needed to actually use thier own talent. Just as the other teams do, they often trade away good prospects in season as well. It does not meant they did not help your club out.
    While it is true the Yanks have brought in thier share of high priced free agents, as do most successful teams, thier choices have not always panned out and this is thier first title in 10 years. Philly is luck the Red Sox did not win game 7 in Tampa last your or you would not have had last year to brag about either.

15. Michael B Pasternack - Nov 5, 2009 at 3:13 PM

Obviously you must be a Mensa member. Such an erudite comment! You should take off to England and become a soccer fan so you can really express your self by rioting and beating up any fan of a team that’s not your favorite. It sounds about your style.

16. skip h - Nov 5, 2009 at 3:14 PM

If Rollins hit as well as he talked this year, maybe the Phils would have won. He sucked all year. Better team? Not this year, not even close.

17. yankme - Nov 5, 2009 at 3:17 PM

Why do so many people believe socialism is the better system for an organization… Let the best win baby, this is America not China.

18. doug - Nov 5, 2009 at 3:18 PM

“celebrate the right way”? are you an idiot?

19. George - Nov 5, 2009 at 3:18 PM

John… I’ve got a new one for ya… PHILLIES IN 2010!!! MARK MY WORDS!!!
    Yanks and Phillies both start out on a clean slate next year, so you’ve still got a chance…. Hopefully the Yankees will get the chance to beat you guys again next year!

20. born loser - Nov 5, 2009 at 3:18 PM

Of course teams can be bought. Isn’t that true in any venue? Don’t be ridicules! Baseball, football, basketball,,, the richer teams normally are the better teams. That my dear friend is a cold reality of our world.

21. eddie - Nov 5, 2009 at 3:20 PM

Jimmy, if the Phillies were the better team they had 6 games to prove it; however, they didn’t, so how can you say that? How about this, the Rays were a better team than your team last year. If you say that, then I will agree with you this year.

22. Materialman - Nov 5, 2009 at 3:27 PM

Jimmy I thought the Phils were the better team as well. I thought the Cardinals were better then the Dodgers. Bottom line is you have to get it done. You didn’t and now we have to get sick to our stomach’s all year listening to this Yankee crap about “dynasty’s, and greatest of all time, etc, etc, etc…..
    Thanks Jimmy

23. LMM - Nov 5, 2009 at 3:32 PM

What a nasty piece of crap you are es14891. I hope you are not a Phillies fan, because that classy team would be horrified to have a fan like you. Go back to wherever you came from.

24. Michael B Pasternack - Nov 5, 2009 at 3:35 PM

Good comment. I couldn’t agree with you more. I’m also reminded of the interviewer who asked Mantle in his declining years how much money he would get if he played in todays era. The Mick said “Oh, I don’t know, maybe 100,000 or 150,000 dollars” The interviewer went nuts and said ” What! You would get millions now!” and the Mick answered “Yeah but I’m 60 years old now!”

25. Celebrating in NYC - Nov 5, 2009 at 3:37 PM

Dave-NICE, well put…DCFAN, class?? NYC doesnt know how to celebrate the right way??? your hilarious, it sounds like you need to get out of DC more….

1 3 4 5 6 7 9