Jimmy Rollins: the Phillies are still the better team

Nov 5, 2009, 9:55 AM EDT

Take it away Jimmy:

“They were the better team this series. Do I think we’re the better team? I really do. They just executed.”

Um, yeah.

Look, I wasn’t critical of Rollins’ prediction before the Series, because if I was the manager of a team I’d want my players to think they’re going to win. You don’t be cocky or disrespectful about it — and I don’t think Rollins was — but if someone asks you for a prediction, go ahead, say you’re going to win.

But after the fact? Whatever, Jimmy. We can argue all day long about who’s better on paper and whether winning a short series truly means you’re the “best” team and all of that (indeed, I’ve made that argument myself), but in this case Rollins has no leg to stand on:

The Yankees were a better team during the regular season.

The Yankees were the better team during the postseason.

The Yankees were the better team on paper.

The Yankees are the better team from a historical perspective.

Could the Phillies have won this series? Sure, anything can happen.  Are they a good team? Absolutely.  But if they had won it, it would have been an upset, and for anyone to say otherwise is pretty deluded.

1. Dr. No - Nov 5, 2009 at 8:00 PM

I’m beginning to think that Jimmy Rollins is stupid.

2. Old Gator - Nov 5, 2009 at 8:07 PM

But look at it another way: whining is the next best thing to winning; it’s just spelled a little differently.

3. Hutchie0301 - Nov 5, 2009 at 8:10 PM

C’mon, Jimmy, get real. The better team gets it done when it counts, and this time, it’s the Yankees. Give ‘em credit, they beat you, man! Come back next year and win it on the field, and THEN you can say you’re the better team.

4. The bronx bomber - Nov 5, 2009 at 8:15 PM

You’re just a yankee hater. The yankees has had pretty good teams since they won there last championship in 2000. They spent alot on guys that could not bring the trophy home to the bronx. So for you to say they bought there championship is obserd. Just come out the closet and say you are a YANKEE fan!

5. RFP - Nov 5, 2009 at 8:18 PM

shut your racist mouth before someone shuts it for you- Jimmy Rollins may be an embarassment, but at least he can put together a sentence
    I’m not kidding, just go away!

6. alaskamusher - Nov 5, 2009 at 8:20 PM

Yankees, Phillies, Cubs, who cares. By this time next month no one will give a rat’s ass who won.

7. RFP - Nov 5, 2009 at 8:28 PM

As for the “Frillies”, they did the same thing the Angels did. Both are arguably in the same league as the Yankees, but they both folded on the big stage. Angels choked on their own errors, and “Frillies” just plain did not execute. Yankees? They didn’t do anything they haven’t done since the All-Star break. Win lots of games with a few losses thrown in here and there to keep it interesting. It’s called consistency. Any other questions?
    Payroll Schmayroll … the Yankees are defined by winning and guess what? We’re gonna keep doing it to you as long as your owners don’t put your revenues back into the team the way the Steinbrenners do. Dig?

8. Bud - Nov 5, 2009 at 8:31 PM

I find it hysterical anytime I hear a Philly fan call out a Yankee Fan as having no class. There is no town in the USA that has the lowest of class fans then Philly.
    How can you call out others when your own fans, go to NY and during a ceremony honoring HOFers, and others from the 69 NY METS you have the nerve to chant “LETS GO PHILLIES”, hey – during the game is FAIR GAME, but your classless comrades couldn’t wait and stood and chanted that while the likes of Tom Seaver, Nolan Ryan and Yogi Berra are announced. THAT IS CLASSLESS, that is just the tip of the iceberg.
    Rollins is a classless moron that perpetuates the reason why all outside Philly hate your teams. He can’t win with class, he can’t lose with class.
    The buying championship crap is old too – I find it refreshing that their owner actually INVESTS in their team instead of padding their pockets.
    Bitterness is very ugly

9. YanksNJets - Nov 5, 2009 at 8:31 PM

well if your bum teams won games and had fan support they would have money ..if they had money they could buy whoever they want ..its an even field ..same rules for everyone..
    we just do it better
    GO YANKS !

10. YanksNJets - Nov 5, 2009 at 8:36 PM

funny ..team owners rake in the $ and pad thier own pockets at our expense , while still putting a sub par product on the field ( look at my football team ) ..yet the Yanks SPEN THIER $ ON THE TEAM TO KEEP WINNING and you guys rag on ‘em for it ..lmao
    save your tears and complaints ..
    YANKS DO IT AGAIN !

11. Anton L. - Nov 5, 2009 at 8:43 PM

It wouldn’t be an upset if the Phillies won. The Phillies are as good as the Yankees. Let’s compare teams.
    Offense: equal talent
    Pitching: Yankees slightly better

12. joe bloe - Nov 5, 2009 at 8:45 PM

no the phillies are the ones who got fucked!!! hahahahaha

13. jrsportsfan7 - Nov 5, 2009 at 9:23 PM

Come on dc, be a good sportsman. The Yankees have won the series, don’t be stubborn and have a mentality of a bad loser. The Yankees (including their fans) deserve a congratulation message from you and from fans of the opposing team and even other teams who were not playing the world series. They won the World Series and no matter what they did in the off season, they won the series, period, no need for furhter argument. This country is a capitalist country and the Yankees and any other team have the right where to place their money (whether to put it in their pocket or reinvest it)

14. sudden - Nov 5, 2009 at 9:33 PM

I agree. I’m a Yankees fan and I’m soaking in the joy and taking all the bitterness with a smile. It pissed me off during the season, but now that they are on top, who cares? Stick and stones and all that. I’m happy.

15. Johnny Boy - Nov 5, 2009 at 10:42 PM

Im so glad we got to win it at home. Jimmy Rollins maybe next year you get a job reading palms lol.
    Money does not buy championships as proved by the 2001-2008 Yankees, so lets stop with the money crap. You guys should have got yourself better pitching and sent Howard to a hitting coach.
    Good luck next near Philthy, your gonna need it.
    And to my 27 time WS champion Yankees, see you at the Parade

16. Corwyn - Nov 5, 2009 at 10:46 PM

I’ve been a Yankee fan for over 50 years and have seen my Yankees win and lose many games. 2004 really hurt but watching my guys pound Pedro was about as good as it gets. Never forget the Yankees will be baseball’s best ever for as long as it takes the next team to step up to 28 WS titles. Thankfully it won’t be in my lifetime.

17. willmose - Nov 5, 2009 at 10:46 PM

I agree the Phillies are better than the Yankees, but the Dodgers were better the Phillies, so they ought to give the World Championship to the Dodgers or at least the NL pennant. Sorry, Jimmy you win it on the field not on paper, anyway you guys were lucky last year when the Rays were clearly the better team.

18. Ed in Pa - Nov 5, 2009 at 11:52 PM

The Boss bought that team from CBS when they were struggling and couldn’t win anything. He put his money into the team. They began winning. He put the money from championships that later came their way back into the team. He didn’t sell off his players like other teams that eventually won the Series. So in essence, you hate the team because he built it into a successful enterprise. Remember, it is a business. Put people in the seats and sell merchandise. I live in Phillies country. Didn’t they BUY Lee, Ibanez, Lidge, and even Pedro? Or did they choose to play for free for the Phils? By the way, been to both ballparks and they both rip you off for food and drinks. About 15 bucks for a beer and a hotdog. Yep, it’s a business. You want to complain about the Yanks, just don’t watch. Go to a little league game, but there you have to watch the parents argue yell at the coaches and umps.

19. STEVE - Nov 6, 2009 at 1:41 AM

I’m not a fan of either team. I did notice the fans in Phily were very nasty. That can also be said for their football fans too. Whats up with that. The fans were out of control in both baseball and football. Matsui was GREAT and I will never forget his clutch hits and the class he showed when he won the MVP….my hero

20. Joe - Nov 6, 2009 at 6:27 PM

wow, thats very profound…….such skill in the art of communication…..we can all take a lesson from you.

21. Dwayne - Nov 8, 2009 at 10:47 PM

I am so sick of Yankee haters. The fact of the matter is this, Baseball does not have a salary cap. What they do have is revenue sharing. This is so, the small market teams can stay on pace with the large market teams. It is not the fault of the Yankees that they have an ownership group that believes in their revenue back in to the organization. Instead of pocketing profits, they put it back in to the team. It’s called investing. They understand that people will support a winner and that generates revenue. In the end, everyone wins. The Players win on the field, the fans win and the front office wins. Quiet as it’s kept, Major League Baseball NEEDS the New York Yankees. They are a money generating machine. Yankee Merchandise can be found all over the world. Please, stop hating!!!!!

22. George - Nov 12, 2009 at 9:02 AM

DC Fan you’re a D-bag a T-bag and an S-bag. You understand nothing. $$$ don’t buy championships ask Daniel Snyder. The three major free agents contributed to this championship but did not do it all themselves. It is very tough to win in NY with all the expectations and pressure. The money helps to offset this stress, that is enormous. You have no idea. The Yankees don’t win every year and it costs a ton of dough just to live here. The Yankees play by the rules and use their $$$$ accordingly. Other teams use their resources in different ways while getting paid from the Yankees. The owner of the Twins is much richer than the Steinbrenners and yet his team looses great players to FA… I’m agreeing with Dwayne. If you had an intelligent idea in your post, I can’t find it.

23. Jim - Nov 13, 2009 at 1:03 PM

Um, the Phillies must have bought their title too, after all… their payroll was 2x bigger than the Rays payroll was

24. Jaymen - Nov 13, 2009 at 1:08 PM

Riollins is a classless jerk. Could you imagine Jeter trash talking another team? Nope, it would never happen. Jeter outclassed Rollins on and off the field.

25. Ed - Nov 13, 2009 at 4:44 PM

If Rollins spent more time in his playing ability than his mouth yaking ability the phillies would be better off. They were very good but consistancy vice crying a lot would improve their field play. You have to catch the ball with your glove and hit the ball witha bat ,telling everybody how good you are doesnt show up in your playing. Quit crying and practice more.

Three legends off to Cooperstown