Jimmy Rollins: the Phillies are still the better team

Nov 5, 2009, 9:55 AM EST

Take it away Jimmy:

“They were the better team this series. Do I think we’re the better team? I really do. They just executed.”

Um, yeah.

Look, I wasn’t critical of Rollins’ prediction before the Series, because if I was the manager of a team I’d want my players to think they’re going to win. You don’t be cocky or disrespectful about it — and I don’t think Rollins was — but if someone asks you for a prediction, go ahead, say you’re going to win.

But after the fact? Whatever, Jimmy. We can argue all day long about who’s better on paper and whether winning a short series truly means you’re the “best” team and all of that (indeed, I’ve made that argument myself), but in this case Rollins has no leg to stand on:

The Yankees were a better team during the regular season.

The Yankees were the better team during the postseason.

The Yankees were the better team on paper.

The Yankees are the better team from a historical perspective.

Could the Phillies have won this series? Sure, anything can happen.  Are they a good team? Absolutely.  But if they had won it, it would have been an upset, and for anyone to say otherwise is pretty deluded.

1. ED FL - Nov 13, 2009 at 4:55 PM

I posted a legitimate comment no cussing ,clear and no misspelling all true statements and you for some reason did not post it . I feel like i am being censored like CNN does if you do not follow their wishes. Have a nice day.

2. Hollywood Rob - Nov 15, 2009 at 6:24 PM

Shut up Jimmy- you got yr one WS win (that makes 2 in over 100 years- impressive), Yanks got 27 and Phils won’t see another one anytime soon. AS the Yankess do, keep their mouths shut and take care of business ON THE FIELD.

3. Ronkonkoma Chet - Nov 19, 2009 at 9:28 AM

mmmm

4. Ronkonkoma Chet - Nov 19, 2009 at 9:37 AM

Let’s see. The Yankees spend 210 million bucks to purchase the best players in the game. Then they win the World Series. Where’s the suprise? The schmucks that call themselves Yankee fans pay obscene prices to see the Yankees win. Honey, do you want to take the family on a cruise for a week or go to the Yankee game? Oh, darling let’s go to the Yankee game, see A-Rod hit the ball over the fence.) Pretty dense people out there. And Jimmy Rollins is another typical hamster in sports today.(he belongs in the same showcase as Dion Sanders and T.O.) I’m not a Yankee fan but did the Phillies really think they had a shot at winning?

5. Joe - Nov 24, 2009 at 1:55 PM

Only Yankee fans (and players) can say that not winning the WS title is a complete failure for that year. I’m sick and tired of hearing the Yanks haven’t won anything since 200.
    By the standards other teams have to live by, the Yankees had a great decade, winning 2 WS, 4 AL Pennants and 8 Division championships in the decade of the ’00s. Who did better than that?

6. YH Tittle - Nov 25, 2009 at 2:57 PM

Whatever Mr. Yankee Sycophant.

7. RON - Nov 26, 2009 at 5:09 AM

PLEASE, DON’T CRY! I HATE CRIERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. scottw - Nov 28, 2009 at 5:14 PM

The Yankees don’t outspend all these teams by a mile for no reason. When you buy up “other teams’” All Stars/MVPs/CY Youngs/HOFers you contend more often and win more often. Not a guarantee, but if it didn’t make any difference the Yanks might as well cut their salary expenditure to $30 mil per year. Let Sabathia, A-Rod, Damon, Burnett, Texiera, etc. go elsewhere if it doesn’t make any difference anyway.

9. Mark Swanson - Dec 1, 2009 at 9:22 PM

Congradulations to the Yankees the better team but not by alot..If The Yankees were any where else but the market they are in would they hve 27 championship ……ABSOLUTELY NOT. To think that there payroll has nothing to do with it is crazy They have Arod because Texas coud not put a competitive team on the field when one player makes that much …the same thing with atlanta and Texiera, the Brewers/Indians and CC Sabathia, A J burnett,Damon, Ect ect . If Football was set up like Baseball The Steelers would’nt have six bowls, Packers would not have 3, the ravens or Tampa would not have won. While I do wish that J-Roll would have backed up his prediction I still applaud it….They come to the WS to respect the Yankees they were there to beat them. They were not good enough. But next year the be back to beat the Yanks ….If the Yankees make it that is!!!

10. the day the earth stood still - Jan 1, 2010 at 8:09 PM

What’s happend? I have to keep Refreshing the page to even be able to view the post can someone fix this issue please?

11. Marva Kujawa - Jan 31, 2010 at 7:04 PM

To commercialize in terms of quality rather than cost, and in order to differentiate consequently, you need to watch over the popular format of the 4 Ps marketing plan. That is, Price, Product, Place and Promotion manifestly you recognize the important attributes of the merchandise, and the price, but for place you should remember nearly the type of individuals who are willing to give over 4x price of competing merchandise whereas the low-priced option may be sold where emphasis is on cost, your ware will be suited to places/distributors where the clients will be willing to pay for quality. Thank you for this article! I’ve just discovered a without doubt full site about true marketing Judge it!

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. G. Stanton (4006)