Nov 5, 2009, 7:58 PM EDT
Tim Lincecum is facing misdemeanor drug possession charges after being found with 3.3 grams of marijuana during a routine traffic stop last week.
According to police, Lincecum was stopped for going 74 miles per hour in a 60-mph zone in his home state of Washington last Friday morning and the state trooper smelled marijuana coming from inside the car, at which point the reigning National League Cy Young winner reached into his dashboard to produce a small pouch and a pipe.
The amount is considered small enough for personal use only and Lincecum was not found to be impaired in any way, so he’s not being charged with a felony. “With this amount of marijuana, that’s normally the way we deal with it,” Washington State Patrol spokesman Steve Schatzel said. Lincecum received a $622 citation and was released, with a arraignment scheduled for later this month.
Lincecum is unlikely to face punishment from the Giants, although the charges could potentially impact his upcoming arbitration hearing. After going 15-7 with a 2.48 ERA and NL-high 261 strikeouts this season Lincecum is arbitration eligible for the first time and figures to see a huge bump in salary. There will no doubt be outrage about this incident in certain circles, but ultimately a 25-year-old smoking marijuana is hardly shocking and the small amount combined with his lack of impairment makes it a relative non-story.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 49
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 68
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 52
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 51
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 65
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises (68)