Nov 5, 2009, 7:58 PM EST
Tim Lincecum is facing misdemeanor drug possession charges after being found with 3.3 grams of marijuana during a routine traffic stop last week.
According to police, Lincecum was stopped for going 74 miles per hour in a 60-mph zone in his home state of Washington last Friday morning and the state trooper smelled marijuana coming from inside the car, at which point the reigning National League Cy Young winner reached into his dashboard to produce a small pouch and a pipe.
The amount is considered small enough for personal use only and Lincecum was not found to be impaired in any way, so he’s not being charged with a felony. “With this amount of marijuana, that’s normally the way we deal with it,” Washington State Patrol spokesman Steve Schatzel said. Lincecum received a $622 citation and was released, with a arraignment scheduled for later this month.
Lincecum is unlikely to face punishment from the Giants, although the charges could potentially impact his upcoming arbitration hearing. After going 15-7 with a 2.48 ERA and NL-high 261 strikeouts this season Lincecum is arbitration eligible for the first time and figures to see a huge bump in salary. There will no doubt be outrage about this incident in certain circles, but ultimately a 25-year-old smoking marijuana is hardly shocking and the small amount combined with his lack of impairment makes it a relative non-story.
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 28
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 58
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27