Nov 5, 2009, 7:58 PM EDT
Tim Lincecum is facing misdemeanor drug possession charges after being found with 3.3 grams of marijuana during a routine traffic stop last week.
According to police, Lincecum was stopped for going 74 miles per hour in a 60-mph zone in his home state of Washington last Friday morning and the state trooper smelled marijuana coming from inside the car, at which point the reigning National League Cy Young winner reached into his dashboard to produce a small pouch and a pipe.
The amount is considered small enough for personal use only and Lincecum was not found to be impaired in any way, so he’s not being charged with a felony. “With this amount of marijuana, that’s normally the way we deal with it,” Washington State Patrol spokesman Steve Schatzel said. Lincecum received a $622 citation and was released, with a arraignment scheduled for later this month.
Lincecum is unlikely to face punishment from the Giants, although the charges could potentially impact his upcoming arbitration hearing. After going 15-7 with a 2.48 ERA and NL-high 261 strikeouts this season Lincecum is arbitration eligible for the first time and figures to see a huge bump in salary. There will no doubt be outrage about this incident in certain circles, but ultimately a 25-year-old smoking marijuana is hardly shocking and the small amount combined with his lack of impairment makes it a relative non-story.
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 0
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 29
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 96
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 18
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 80
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 10
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 93
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 21
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (281)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)