Nov 5, 2009, 7:58 PM EDT
Tim Lincecum is facing misdemeanor drug possession charges after being found with 3.3 grams of marijuana during a routine traffic stop last week.
According to police, Lincecum was stopped for going 74 miles per hour in a 60-mph zone in his home state of Washington last Friday morning and the state trooper smelled marijuana coming from inside the car, at which point the reigning National League Cy Young winner reached into his dashboard to produce a small pouch and a pipe.
The amount is considered small enough for personal use only and Lincecum was not found to be impaired in any way, so he’s not being charged with a felony. “With this amount of marijuana, that’s normally the way we deal with it,” Washington State Patrol spokesman Steve Schatzel said. Lincecum received a $622 citation and was released, with a arraignment scheduled for later this month.
Lincecum is unlikely to face punishment from the Giants, although the charges could potentially impact his upcoming arbitration hearing. After going 15-7 with a 2.48 ERA and NL-high 261 strikeouts this season Lincecum is arbitration eligible for the first time and figures to see a huge bump in salary. There will no doubt be outrage about this incident in certain circles, but ultimately a 25-year-old smoking marijuana is hardly shocking and the small amount combined with his lack of impairment makes it a relative non-story.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 48
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)