Random observations from Game Six

Nov 5, 2009, 8:20 AM EDT

You saw it, and even if you didn’t, Matthew has told you all of the details (any he missed can be found here). Now’s the time for some random impressions:

An obviously gutsy performance from Andy Pettitte on short rest. He didn’t seem to suffer much for it, which is amazing considering the mileage on that left arm of his.

A just as gutsy performance from Pedro, even in defeat. He certainly knew before anyone — and probably well before the game
started — that he had nothing last night. He’s Pedro, though, and he
did his vain best to figure out a way to work around it. It’s weird: for a
Hall of Famer, I’ve always thought that Pedro’s character as a
pitcher was better defined by his losses than his wins. In the 2003
ALCS, last night, and many other times, I’ve come away strangely more
impressed by him when he leaves a game in defeat, and I’m not sure why
that is. Your theories are welcome.

Matsui. What can you really say? For a guy who often looks like he’s in
pain when he’s hitting, he made it look rather easy last night. He was
as good an MVP choice as anyone else.

Nine years ago is when Jeter, Posada, Rivera and Pettitte last won it
all. I know that beyond them there has been massive roster turnover
since 1996, but I’m struggling to come up with an example of a team
with at least a handful of core players winning World Series outside
the context of a continuing dynasty. This would be like Mickey Mantle
and Whitey Ford hanging around to win one with the 1971 Yankees, or
Chipper, Maddux and Smoltz doing it in 2004. I suppose this is mostly a
function of them being so young when they were winning them back in the
90s, but it is kind of odd to think about it.

Factoid I found on ESPN: “Wednesday’s clincher marked the sixth time
New York has defeated the defending champ in the World Series.” Without looking it up, I’ll say the Phillies last night, the Braves
in 1996, the Braves in 1958, the Dodgers in 1956, Cardinals in 1943,
and, um . . . I’m blanking. First one to figure it out wins a fully paid subscription to Circling The Bases.

I, along with all of you, wait with great anticipation to hear what the “PHILLIES IN __! MARK MY WORDS!” guy writes in the comments today.  Don’t disappoint us, dude.

After an offseason of terrible predictions, I’m rather pleased with myself. I picked the Yankees in six based on the strength of their rotation, but noted that Cliff Lee will get his.  Hey, even a blind pig finds an acorn once in a while, right?

151 days until Opening Day.  I wish it would hurry up already.

1. Greg - Nov 5, 2009 at 8:49 AM

1923 WS : Yankees over the defending champs, the New York Giants.
    The third consecutive year that the New York crews faced each other in the series, the first the Yankees came out on top.

2. Evente - Nov 5, 2009 at 9:12 AM

Where’s “MARK MY WORDS” John this morning?! Crying in his beer?

3. TF in Tampa - Nov 5, 2009 at 9:19 AM

Mornin Craig, another late night for most of us here on the east coast, but well worth the loss of sleep. Not sure if Phillies best showed up last night, but the Yanks were all in. The best team won it all last night, and it all started w/Andy [that old goat as Mo refered to him to the ESPN guys] Pettitte giving it his best, to Matsui delivering homers, hits and RBI’s [as a DH is suppose to and a well deserved MVP award]and finally handing it over to the best closer the game has ever seen Mo Rivera.
    The Core Four were a major factor to the Yankees success but it still takes an entire team effort to make it happen and to win.
    Congradulations to the New York Yankees. I’m sure they’ll be back there again next year, looking to record #28 and like you, I’ll be in baseball depression mode till springtime.
    P.S. Lets go John “PHILLIES IN_!, its your turn. I won’t lambaster
    you, I promise.

4. Church of the Perpetually Outraged - Nov 5, 2009 at 9:33 AM

P.S. Lets go John “PHILLIES IN_!, its your turn. I won’t lambaster
    you, I promise.

He’s already posted in another thread, eating humble pie. Give the guy a break, it’s only 9:30am.

5. Ava - Nov 5, 2009 at 9:46 AM

John is nothing less than a jerk and deserves no break, as far as I am concerned.

6. Andy L - Nov 5, 2009 at 10:11 AM

PHILLIES IN NINE!!! MARK MY WORDS!!!

7. jonny5 - Nov 5, 2009 at 10:13 AM

Hat’s off to the new champs and the fans, congratulations.
    Well the fans who were cordial anyway. Some of the NY fans who did nothing but rip on Phillies fans can go get bent IMO but that’s besides the point…
    Funny story, the cute little lady I work with is a NY fan. Who of course had to rub the win in my face this morning…… I mentioned the game one win to her the morning after that and she literally screamed at me, “Don’t be one of those F—ing a–hole Phillies fans Jon!!” I had to remind her of that this morning and made her blush. My point is, Philly fans get a bad rap ,and NY fans are no better, even the cute little ladies…….
    Once again congrats to the new champions and their fans…

8. wreckanize - Nov 5, 2009 at 10:21 AM

The better team won and that is pretty much the bottom line. The Phillies just got outplayed. The Yanks were just too strong, but we kind of already knew that before the series even started. Can’t fault people for rooting for their team. Predictions are dumb luck. You either win or you lose. John just picked the wrong team. GO YANKS!

9. Mike Z - Nov 5, 2009 at 10:34 AM

Congrats Yanks on a great season and the championship. They outplayed the Phils and took advantage of the opportunities they were presented in the WS.
    Lets face it though, this is probably the first of a few times the Phils will play the Yanks in the Series over the next several seasons. They are both one of the few teams that can actually afford to get there. Always good to have another Philly/NY rivalry.

10. lulu - Nov 5, 2009 at 1:03 PM

Phillies lose in 6. MARK MY WORDS!!

11. Mike Mariano - Nov 5, 2009 at 2:43 PM

Gotta hand it to the Yanks, they were the best team this year (no matter what JRoll says) and it was an incredible two year run by the Phillies. It’s just fun exciting team to watch. Chase, Ryan, Werth, Jimmmy, Cole, Lidge (yes, even him) have made these last two yeas full of memories. Losing to the Yankees isn’t ideal but to be the best you gotta beat the best. The Phillies weren’t the best this year, but hopefully we can make another great run in ’10 and have some more fun. See ‘em in the ‘ship next year!

12. John - Nov 5, 2009 at 5:25 PM

I am here Craig and first and foremost let me say congrats to all of you Yankee fans on your team winning #27, including all of those who now have a deep seated hatred for me along with the words “PHILLIES IN SIX… and consequently SEVEN!!! MARK MY WORDS!!!” Although you must admit it was fun while it lasted, except for Ava anyway… you know Ava every now and then it helps to take a deep breath and smile or laugh rather than to be so serious all the time. Being so high strung could lead to hypertension and eventually high blood pressure.
    Having said that I am not going to be so arrogant, like Mr. Rollins, and proclaim that the Phillies are still better for anyone who knows baseball knows the better team won. What I will say is that I will never again buy a cyrstal ball from a gypsy, claiming that it can tell the future. ;-) And by the way Evente it was Jack Daniels, not beer. ;-)
    So with that I bid you adieu! PHILLIES ARE OUT!!! MARK MY WORDS!!!

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto