Nov 5, 2009, 5:54 PM EDT
The Red Sox acquired disappointing outfielder Jeremy Hermida in a three-player deal with the Marlins on Thursday, surrendering left-handers Hunter Jones and Jose Alvarez in the bargain.
Hermida was hardly an obvious fit for the Red Sox, given his left-handedness and the presence of J.D. Drew and Jacoby Ellsbury ahead of him in the outfield. Still, GM Theo Epstein’s philosophy is to keep bringing in talent and to worry about making it work later. Hermida hit a modest .259/.348/.392 in his age-25 season, and it was clear that the Marlins were done with him. The Red Sox, though, saw a former elite prospect with very good plate discipline who is only now reaching his prime years and snapped him up.
At the moment, Hermida tops Boston’s depth chart in left field, in the event that Jason Bay leaves as a free agent. He’ll most likely enter the year as a part-timer, and we wouldn’t rule out the possibility of him being traded elsewhere later.
The price was modest. Jones, 25, is a fringe reliever who gave up 13 runs in 12 2/3 innings in the majors this season. He has impressed enough against lefties in the minors to give some reason for optimism that he’ll be useful in a limited role. Alvarez is just 20, and he managed a 1.52 ERA in 12 starts and two relief appearances in the short-season New York-Penn League last season. However, that was after he failed as a starter in the Sally League in 2008. Neither lefty ranked among Boston’s 10-best pitching prospects.
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 9
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 29
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 17
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 158
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 30
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (158)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)