Nov 5, 2009, 3:27 PM EST
Bill Plunkett of the Orange County Register reports that the Angels have re-signed Bobby Abreu to a two-year contract with a team option for 2012.
No word yet on the money involved, but Abreu said that he’s “very happy to sign this contract” after settling for a one-year deal worth just $5 million in guaranteed money as a free agent last offseason.
What’s interesting about Abreu getting a multi-year contract now is that his production this season was basically the same as it’s been every season. He hit .293/.390/.435 with 15 homers, 30 steals, 103 RBIs, and 96 runs in 152 games for the Angels compared to .296/.371/.471 with 20 homers, 22 steals, 100 RBIs, and 100 runs in 156 games during his final season in New York.
There’s no real difference between those two seasons, and if anything Abreu was slightly worse this year because of a drop in power. Plus, now he’s 35 years old instead of 34. So why was he only worth a one-year deal for modest money last season, yet is now worth a two-year deal that will almost surely pay more annually? Perception. Abreu was viewed as merely a cog in the Yankees’ machine, whereas this season he’s been given a ton of credit for being a driving force behind the Angels’ improved offense.
We’ll have more analysis of the Abreu signing once the financial details are revealed.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 72
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 85
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 14
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (159)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (146)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)