Nov 6, 2009, 12:16 PM EDT
Shoulder problems limited Brandon Webb to just one start this season and he underwent surgery in August, leading to speculation that the Diamondbacks weren’t planning to exercise his $8.5 million option for 2010.
However, when Webb made it very clear that he wasn’t interested in working out a new deal the Diamondbacks were faced with a tough decision. They either had to take an $8.5 million risk on Webb being somewhat healthy next season or let him hit the open market, where he seemed highly unlikely to re-sign with Arizona.
This afternoon Arizona made what was probably the right call, picking up Webb’s option and keeping their longtime ace around for at least another year. Webb has not been cleared to resume throwing yet after going under the knife, but barring setbacks he’s expected to be ready for spring training and obviously when healthy he’s worth far more than $8.5 million.
Certainly he’s a huge risk and given his uncertain status the Diamondbacks may have just flushed $8.5 million down the toilet, but if they wanted any chance of keeping Webb in 2010 and beyond picking up his option was … well, their only real option.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 23
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 62
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 53
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 47
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 18
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)