Nov 6, 2009, 7:39 PM EDT
Mariano Rivera is a pretty special pitcher. I know, it’s a pretty revelatory statement.
First, I direct your attention to this pretty neat interactive graphic from the New York Times.
My description won’t do it justice, but the graphic details every
single batter of Rivera’s postseason career. Yes, even Mike Piazza’s
flyout to end Game 5 of the 2000 World Series. A sad reminder for this
Mets fan, but pretty darn cool otherwise.
Rivera has a ridiculous 0.74 ERA and
0.77 WHIP in 88 postseason games, including an 0.56 ERA over 16 innings
during the 2009 playoffs. It’s even more incredible upon learning that he pitched through a painful rib cage injury during the World Series.
“It doesn’t matter now,” Rivera said. “It’s over. Thank God it’s over.
It was manageable. ‘Geno’ did a tremendous job. Thank God we were able
to do what we did, to put me on the field every day so I would have a
Those who watched the World Series
will remember Rivera with some sort of heating pad under his jacket in
the bullpen, but any concern of an injury was dismissed by the team, as
he proved quite durable, tossing 5 1/3 innings over four appearances
Rivera turns 40 later this month and has one year and $15 million remaining on his contract. He has already expressed a desire to pitch for five more seasons. With results like these, who are we to say he can’t pull it off?
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 6
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 30
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 10
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 29
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 19
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 13
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 42
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (190)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)