Mariano Rivera is pretty special

Nov 6, 2009, 7:39 PM EDT

riveraws.jpgMariano Rivera is a pretty special pitcher. I know, it’s a pretty revelatory statement.

First, I direct your attention to this pretty neat interactive graphic from the New York Times.
My description won’t do it justice, but the graphic details every
single batter of Rivera’s postseason career. Yes, even Mike Piazza’s
flyout to end Game 5 of the 2000 World Series. A sad reminder for this
Mets fan, but pretty darn cool otherwise.

Rivera has a ridiculous 0.74 ERA and
0.77 WHIP in 88 postseason games, including an 0.56 ERA over 16 innings
during the 2009 playoffs. It’s even more incredible upon learning that he pitched through a painful rib cage injury during the World Series.

“It doesn’t matter now,” Rivera said. “It’s over. Thank God it’s over.
It was manageable. ‘Geno’ did a tremendous job. Thank God we were able
to do what we did, to put me on the field every day so I would have a
chance.”

Those who watched the World Series
will remember Rivera with some sort of heating pad under his jacket in
the bullpen, but any concern of an injury was dismissed by the team, as
he proved quite durable, tossing 5 1/3 innings over four appearances
against Philadelphia.

Rivera turns 40 later this month and has one year and $15 million remaining on his contract. He has already expressed a desire to pitch for five more seasons. With results like these, who are we to say he can’t pull it off?

1. silversun-dash - Nov 6, 2009 at 11:29 PM

The only sad part about this is that after he retires, the next closer will always be second-best. Every time he throws a pitch, millions of people around the world including the batter know exactly what’s coming but every single one of them is helpless.

2. Senior Citizen - Nov 7, 2009 at 11:28 AM

I have been watching baseball for more years then I want to admit and he is without a doubt the greatest releif pitcher ever. Does anyone ever mention anyone in the same sentence as Rivera? Never! Can you spell legend?

3. Ditto - Nov 7, 2009 at 3:48 PM

Five more years is a nice thought. It makes me all warm inside.

4. Bernie - Nov 8, 2009 at 10:08 AM

When Diana Taurasi played for the UCONN womens basketball team, UCONN coach Geno Auriemma would say “We have Di and you don’t.” as the reason UCONN would win. The same can be said of the Yankees and Mo. He must never retire.

5. old gator - Nov 8, 2009 at 2:00 PM

I don’t know how old a Mets fan you are, DJ, but I can distinctly remember not a few legends who dragged out their last couple of seasons as shadows of their former selves – Willie Mays comes especially to mind and I have clear memories of watching him puffing and wheezing through his pathetic final season at Shea Stadium. If Mariano can still tote de load, wunnerful. If he can’t, one can only hope that he will know he can’t, hang it up and fade into the mists of mythology with his dignity intact.

6. Argelia Orines - Feb 19, 2010 at 9:08 PM

Very interesting read. Thanks.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5057)