Nov 6, 2009, 6:21 PM EDT
As expected, the Mets have declined their $8.6 million option on J.J. Putz for 2010 by exercising a $1 million buyout.
Putz posted a 5.22 ERA and 1.64 WHIP in just 29 games before undergoing
right elbow surgery in June. He was shut down for good after suffering
a strained right forearm during a rehab assignment in August.
Omar Minaya made upgrading the bullpen his top
priority last winter, first inking Francisco Rodriguez to a three-year,
$37 million contract in December, then swiftly dealing for Putz, Sean
Green and Jeremy Reed. Minaya was lauded at the time,
but Putz looked like damaged goods from the start, losing almost two
MPH on his fastball while averaging a career-high 5.83 BB/9. While
Rodriguez’s 3.71 ERA and 1.31 WHIP (both career-highs) were just a
minor blip on the Mets’ disaster in 2009, his 6.75 ERA after the
All-Star break is troublesome.
According to his agent Craig Landis, Putz hasn’t ruled out a return to New York on an incentive-laden contract,
but he can’t be expected to be a top-notch set-up man coming off elbow
surgery. While a return is possible, look for the Mets attempt to sign a right-hander of
Kiko Calero’s ilk to use in tandem with left-hander Pedro Feliciano.
Putz could be make for a nice reclamation project for a
number of teams (Phillies?).
In other news, the Mets announced that they have picked up Mike Pelfrey’s $500,000 option for 2010.
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 0
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 21
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 53
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)