Nov 6, 2009, 6:21 PM EDT
As expected, the Mets have declined their $8.6 million option on J.J. Putz for 2010 by exercising a $1 million buyout.
Putz posted a 5.22 ERA and 1.64 WHIP in just 29 games before undergoing
right elbow surgery in June. He was shut down for good after suffering
a strained right forearm during a rehab assignment in August.
Omar Minaya made upgrading the bullpen his top
priority last winter, first inking Francisco Rodriguez to a three-year,
$37 million contract in December, then swiftly dealing for Putz, Sean
Green and Jeremy Reed. Minaya was lauded at the time,
but Putz looked like damaged goods from the start, losing almost two
MPH on his fastball while averaging a career-high 5.83 BB/9. While
Rodriguez’s 3.71 ERA and 1.31 WHIP (both career-highs) were just a
minor blip on the Mets’ disaster in 2009, his 6.75 ERA after the
All-Star break is troublesome.
According to his agent Craig Landis, Putz hasn’t ruled out a return to New York on an incentive-laden contract,
but he can’t be expected to be a top-notch set-up man coming off elbow
surgery. While a return is possible, look for the Mets attempt to sign a right-hander of
Kiko Calero’s ilk to use in tandem with left-hander Pedro Feliciano.
Putz could be make for a nice reclamation project for a
number of teams (Phillies?).
In other news, the Mets announced that they have picked up Mike Pelfrey’s $500,000 option for 2010.
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 16
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 11
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 182
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (182)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)