Nov 6, 2009, 6:21 PM EST
As expected, the Mets have declined their $8.6 million option on J.J. Putz for 2010 by exercising a $1 million buyout.
Putz posted a 5.22 ERA and 1.64 WHIP in just 29 games before undergoing
right elbow surgery in June. He was shut down for good after suffering
a strained right forearm during a rehab assignment in August.
Omar Minaya made upgrading the bullpen his top
priority last winter, first inking Francisco Rodriguez to a three-year,
$37 million contract in December, then swiftly dealing for Putz, Sean
Green and Jeremy Reed. Minaya was lauded at the time,
but Putz looked like damaged goods from the start, losing almost two
MPH on his fastball while averaging a career-high 5.83 BB/9. While
Rodriguez’s 3.71 ERA and 1.31 WHIP (both career-highs) were just a
minor blip on the Mets’ disaster in 2009, his 6.75 ERA after the
All-Star break is troublesome.
According to his agent Craig Landis, Putz hasn’t ruled out a return to New York on an incentive-laden contract,
but he can’t be expected to be a top-notch set-up man coming off elbow
surgery. While a return is possible, look for the Mets attempt to sign a right-hander of
Kiko Calero’s ilk to use in tandem with left-hander Pedro Feliciano.
Putz could be make for a nice reclamation project for a
number of teams (Phillies?).
In other news, the Mets announced that they have picked up Mike Pelfrey’s $500,000 option for 2010.
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 10
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 22
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 81
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 50
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (81)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)