Nov 6, 2009, 6:21 PM EDT
As expected, the Mets have declined their $8.6 million option on J.J. Putz for 2010 by exercising a $1 million buyout.
Putz posted a 5.22 ERA and 1.64 WHIP in just 29 games before undergoing
right elbow surgery in June. He was shut down for good after suffering
a strained right forearm during a rehab assignment in August.
Omar Minaya made upgrading the bullpen his top
priority last winter, first inking Francisco Rodriguez to a three-year,
$37 million contract in December, then swiftly dealing for Putz, Sean
Green and Jeremy Reed. Minaya was lauded at the time,
but Putz looked like damaged goods from the start, losing almost two
MPH on his fastball while averaging a career-high 5.83 BB/9. While
Rodriguez’s 3.71 ERA and 1.31 WHIP (both career-highs) were just a
minor blip on the Mets’ disaster in 2009, his 6.75 ERA after the
All-Star break is troublesome.
According to his agent Craig Landis, Putz hasn’t ruled out a return to New York on an incentive-laden contract,
but he can’t be expected to be a top-notch set-up man coming off elbow
surgery. While a return is possible, look for the Mets attempt to sign a right-hander of
Kiko Calero’s ilk to use in tandem with left-hander Pedro Feliciano.
Putz could be make for a nice reclamation project for a
number of teams (Phillies?).
In other news, the Mets announced that they have picked up Mike Pelfrey’s $500,000 option for 2010.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 49
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 66
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 51
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 51
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 65
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises (67)