Nov 6, 2009, 2:33 PM EDT
Kansas City jumped into the option-related fun being had across baseball today by declining 2010 options on Coco Crisp, Miguel Olivo, and Yasuhiko Yabuta.
Acquired from the Red Sox for reliever Ramon Ramirez last winter, Crisp hit just .228/.336/.378 before undergoing season-ending shoulder surgery to repair a torn labrum in late June.
He’s not a sure thing to be fully healthy by spring training and either way choosing a $500,000 buyout over an $8 million option was an easy call. Ramirez, incidentally, went 7-4 with a 2.84 ERA in 69.2 innings for the Red Sox while making less than Crisp earned from the buyout.
Parting ways with Olivo is a more interesting decision. He batted .255/.278/.444 in 84 games last year, at which point the Royals re-signed him for $2.7 million. Now after hitting .249/.292/.490 in 114 games this season–a 60-point OPS jump in significantly more playing time–the Royals have opted against bringing him back for $3.3 million.
If he was worth $2.7 million then he’s certainly worth $3.3 million now, but perhaps the Royals finally (and smartly) got tired of watching him making an out 75 percent of the time.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 10
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 47
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 28
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)