Nov 6, 2009, 10:56 AM EST
The former Dodger (and six other teams’) pitcher is an Ohio native who has worked for the Tribe for several years now in one of those amorphous “special assistant” jobs. Mostly he’s been acting as a spring pitching coach, scout and traveling instructor.
His mission, which he has now accepted: (a) try to get Fausto Carmona back to 2007 form; and (b) try to turn David Huff, Jeremy Sowers and Aaron Laffey into something other than cannon fodder.
I’m not sure I like his odds of doing either, but Belcher was always a favorite of mine back in the day, so I hope he has some success in the role.
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 47
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 24
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (245)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)