Nov 6, 2009, 10:56 AM EDT
The former Dodger (and six other teams’) pitcher is an Ohio native who has worked for the Tribe for several years now in one of those amorphous “special assistant” jobs. Mostly he’s been acting as a spring pitching coach, scout and traveling instructor.
His mission, which he has now accepted: (a) try to get Fausto Carmona back to 2007 form; and (b) try to turn David Huff, Jeremy Sowers and Aaron Laffey into something other than cannon fodder.
I’m not sure I like his odds of doing either, but Belcher was always a favorite of mine back in the day, so I hope he has some success in the role.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 0
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 0
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 49
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 87
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (87)