Nov 6, 2009, 1:20 PM EDT
After some non-denial denials from both sides, the White Sox and Royals made things official with the three-player trade reported yesterday: Mark Teahen to Chicago for Chris Getz and Josh Fields.
For a full breakdown of the deal check out my lengthy analysis from yesterday. Short version? Teahen is overrated and probably not worth the money he’s about to make. Getz and Fields are nothing special, but they’re cheap and somewhat useful. Good trade for the Royals.
Interestingly, general manager Ken Williams announced immediately that Teahen will be the White Sox’s starting third baseman, with Gordon Beckham sliding across the diamond to second base. Initial reports had Chicago targeting Teahen to replace Jermaine Dye in right field and that may still be an option if Williams ends up making a run at someone like Chone Figgins via free agency.
For now though Teahen is back to being a poor defensive third baseman rather than a poor offensive right fielder. In related news, the White Sox have declined their $12 million option on Dye for 2010, predictably choosing to buy him out for $1 million. Dye had a strong 2008 and hit .302/.375/.567 with 20 homers in the first half this season, but absolutely fell apart in the second half while batting just .179 in 60 games. Dye has bounced back from extended slumps before, but he’s 35 years old now and letting him go was a no-brainer at that price.
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 7
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 196
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 93
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 30
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (199)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (93)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (84)