Jose Canseco plays Mr. Irrelevant

Nov 7, 2009, 11:41 AM EDT

cansecoboxing.jpgWhile Alex Rodriguez is living the
high-life as a member of the newly-crowned World Series Champion
Yankees, a person from his past just refuses to go away.

During a weigh-in leading up to
a celebrity boxing match in Springfield, Mass. this week, Jose Canseco told a
reporter from Masslive.com
which baseball player he’d love to square off with in the ring:

“Secondly, who I would love to fight the most if I could pick a
baseball player? Alex Rodriguez, get your ass in the ring and I’ll beat
you to a pulp. Definitely that lying little idiot. I’d like to get him
in the ring.”

Canseco brings a whole new meaning to the term rope-a-dope.

1. woody - Nov 7, 2009 at 1:38 PM

Canseco ‘s a DOPE alright in more ways than one. Great comment “Canseco brings a whole new meaning to the term rope-a-dope.”

2. don - Nov 7, 2009 at 3:27 PM

what is wrong with the Media? Do you think that people really care about what Conseco says or does? He’s a perfect azzhole and the whole world knows it except him and the media. MEDIA get a lif

3. John - Nov 7, 2009 at 3:47 PM

CONSECO IN SEVEN!!! MARK MY WORDS!!!

4. Cru11 - Nov 7, 2009 at 5:22 PM

Please do the entire world a favor Jose and go jump off a cliff. Youre a washup and an disgrace to baseball. It seems like everytime I turn my head, I hear Jose rambling like the idiotic dopehead that he is. Please just go away forever. One more word of advice to Jose, please dont act like a badass when you got your world wrecked by that Asian fella in the first round of your MMA debut.

5. tony - Nov 7, 2009 at 5:54 PM

Jose should just kill himself , No one likes you

6. Chris - Nov 7, 2009 at 7:46 PM

A-Rod doesn’t have to get into any ring. He can wear one on his finger.

7. Chris - Nov 7, 2009 at 7:49 PM

Jose Canseco could’nt even beat Danny Bonaduce. It was a draw.

8. Sheldon Baumann - Nov 7, 2009 at 8:01 PM

I have just two words for Jose, “Go away!”

9. AV - Nov 7, 2009 at 9:08 PM

canseco sucks at life anyway
    who cares what he wants

10. dennis matthews - Nov 7, 2009 at 9:14 PM

I think that Canseco is seriously deranged.

11. Jose_Gayman_Canseco - Nov 7, 2009 at 10:20 PM

Hose-Ay, has a gay crush on Alex and wants to get as close to him as possible.
    Hose-Ay’s code-word for ‘The Ring’ is actual ‘The Bed’.

12. Old Gator - Nov 8, 2009 at 4:35 AM

Personally, I think the ideal opponent for Canseco would be Mickey Rourke. Failing that, Tonya Harding is rumored still to be available and there are probably a couple of boxing kangaroos left out there. But Jose had better work fast: right now his cachet is about the same as Dwayne Bobick’s and his novelty value is fading fast.

13. Various_Authors - Nov 8, 2009 at 7:47 AM

People like Jose Canseco have absolutely no clue what it means to fight a professional boxer. I laugh when I hear a guy on the street say something stupid like “I think I can take Tyson” or whoever is the big fighter at the moment. A real boxer can take even Canseco’s best punch straight to the jaw and smile, then hit you with a cannonball that will knock you into next week, if not just plain kill you.
    Oh, and John, try “MARK MY WORDS! ONE WEEK IN 7!”, and then give it a rest, knowing you’ll finally be right ;)

14. Cozy Powel - Nov 8, 2009 at 8:08 AM

Jose…….WHO ?

15. skip h - Nov 8, 2009 at 8:37 AM

Jose better watch his words because A-Rod could probably kick his butt. Jose, remember when you “fought” Vai Sikahema? About 7″ shorter and 40 lbs lighter, he had you cowering in a corner shortly after the fight started. You’ve become a carney huckster. Pathetic.

16. akoerner - Nov 8, 2009 at 9:40 AM

a-rod is an idiot heshould be in movies he’s so overrated uses steroids and makes more errors in one season then cal ripken made in 18 seasons

17. twins2010 - Nov 8, 2009 at 12:31 PM

HEY JOHN,
    Ever notice the “caps lock” tab on your computer? Try using it! Next, it is Canseco, not Conseco. I guess if you don’t know about the Caps Lock, spell check is out of the question huh? Lastly, as a Twins fan, I hate the Yankees, but after reading your constant predictions of the Phillies winning (“MARK MY WORDS!!!!), I found myself rooting for NY instead of Philly. Imagine how annoying you must be to make a Yankees hater root for them! I think you should do 2 things, first, get in the ring with Canseco, maybe that moron can knock some sense into you. Next change your tag line to “Eat my Words!!!!

18. John - Nov 8, 2009 at 6:35 PM

I HAVE NOTICED THE “CAPS LOCK” ON MY COMPUTER, AND I AM USING RIGHT NOW IF YOU HAVEN’T NOTICED!!! THANK YOU FOR POINTING OUT MY SPELLING ERROR ON THIS VERY IMPORTANT DOCUMENT. I WOULD HAVE HATED FOR PRESIDENT OBAMA TO FIND IT. SO – HERE IT IS: CANSECO IN SEVEN!!! MARK MY WORDS!!!

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win