Nov 8, 2009, 9:04 AM EST
Last week rumors were circulating that Don Mattingly was negotiating with the Dodgers to become Joe Torre’s heir apparent. I thought it was a bad move for Donnie Baseball to bypass offers and interviews from other teams because one never knows what the future might hold. For instance: the man you’re supposed to be succeeding may decide that he never wants to retire:
I hear Joe Torre is talking about extending his contract as manager with the Dodgers and remaining beyond next season.
“Where did you get that?” Torre says, the first time all weekend he seems to care where I’m getting my inside information.
But it’s true, Torre says, “we’re talking about it . . . We were talking about my coaches and I’ve been thinking about it,”
Torre says while mentioning General Manager Ned Colletti’s name and
plans to chat again once Torre returns from a charity function in New
York. “It’s been fun. When I came here, I was curious about how it might
go. But the last two years have been invigorating. You see progress and
your ego tells you maybe you had something to do with it.”
Torre had planned on retiring after 2010. Certainly he has earned the right to change his mind. But the longer he hangs around, the longer Don Mattingly remains in career limbo.
Memo to Donnie: go on some interviews. Put out some feelers. Don’t wait for Joe Torre to figure out where your life and career is going.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (220)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)