Nov 8, 2009, 3:29 PM EDT
Though it won’t be on the
same epic scale as a Jackie Robinson or a Muhammad Ali, who sacrificed
considerable parts of themselves to bear necessary torches, Lincecum’s
contribution will stand as part of another movement.
marijuana is fully decriminalized and legalized sometime in the next 20
years, sports figures will be among the many whose exceptional
accomplishments will have given testimony on its behalf.
Among the greats cited alongside Linceucm in the pot Hall of Fame: Phil Jackson, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Robert Parish, Randy Moss, one of the greatest wide receivers in NFL
history, and Michael Phelps. The editorial goes so far as to say that between his slacker looks and his apparent love of weed, Lincecum is poised to be a marketing piece for Major League Baseball as it attempts to court younger fans.
Whatever. I don’t judge Lincecum at all. I’m a live and let live kind of guy when it comes to such things. Glass houses and stones and all of that. But I know one thing: no matter how forward thinking and cutting edge the people who write these kind of editorials think themselves to be, we won’t truly be in the brave new world to which they aspire until the day comes when an athlete finds himself in Lincecum’s situation . . .and no one cares at all. Because in the grand scheme of things — even the scheme having to do with the decriminalization of weed — this is pretty meaningless.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 4
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 11
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)