Nov 8, 2009, 3:29 PM EDT
Though it won’t be on the
same epic scale as a Jackie Robinson or a Muhammad Ali, who sacrificed
considerable parts of themselves to bear necessary torches, Lincecum’s
contribution will stand as part of another movement.
marijuana is fully decriminalized and legalized sometime in the next 20
years, sports figures will be among the many whose exceptional
accomplishments will have given testimony on its behalf.
Among the greats cited alongside Linceucm in the pot Hall of Fame: Phil Jackson, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Robert Parish, Randy Moss, one of the greatest wide receivers in NFL
history, and Michael Phelps. The editorial goes so far as to say that between his slacker looks and his apparent love of weed, Lincecum is poised to be a marketing piece for Major League Baseball as it attempts to court younger fans.
Whatever. I don’t judge Lincecum at all. I’m a live and let live kind of guy when it comes to such things. Glass houses and stones and all of that. But I know one thing: no matter how forward thinking and cutting edge the people who write these kind of editorials think themselves to be, we won’t truly be in the brave new world to which they aspire until the day comes when an athlete finds himself in Lincecum’s situation . . .and no one cares at all. Because in the grand scheme of things — even the scheme having to do with the decriminalization of weed — this is pretty meaningless.
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 0
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 10
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 19
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)