Tim Lincecum: social pioneer

Nov 8, 2009, 3:29 PM EDT

At least to the San Jose Mercury News, he is:

Though it won’t be on the
same epic scale as a Jackie Robinson or a Muhammad Ali, who sacrificed
considerable parts of themselves to bear necessary torches, Lincecum’s
contribution will stand as part of another movement.

When
marijuana is fully decriminalized and legalized sometime in the next 20
years, sports figures will be among the many whose exceptional
accomplishments will have given testimony on its behalf.

Among the greats cited alongside Linceucm in the pot Hall of Fame: Phil Jackson, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Robert Parish, Randy Moss, one of the greatest wide receivers in NFL
history, and Michael Phelps. The editorial goes so far as to say that between his slacker looks and his apparent love of weed, Lincecum is poised to be a marketing piece for Major League Baseball as it attempts to court younger fans.

Whatever.  I don’t judge Lincecum at all. I’m a live and let live kind of guy when it comes to such things. Glass houses and stones and all of that. But I know one thing: no matter how forward thinking and cutting edge the people who write these kind of editorials think themselves to be, we won’t truly be in the brave new world to which they aspire until the day comes when an athlete finds himself in Lincecum’s situation . . .and no one cares at all. Because in the grand scheme of things — even the scheme having to do with the decriminalization of weed — this is pretty meaningless.

1. Son of Shane Mack - Nov 8, 2009 at 5:28 PM

How can you forget Ricky Williams? He’s the man who’d rather sit around and smoke pot than play football in the NFL!

2. Wells Oliver - Nov 8, 2009 at 5:42 PM

Conflating this situation with a legalization issue is pretty disappointment on another level because Lincecum was driving. I’m all for legalization, and further all for staying out of the business of consenting adults, but you really shouldn’t be driving around stoned. We wouldn’t be writing such congratulatory editorials if Timmy had a DUI.

3. Craig Calcaterra - Nov 8, 2009 at 6:07 PM

To be fair, the editorial makes a big point of that — no excuse whatsoever if Lincecum was at all impaired, and that in such a case he should be condemned. But in Lincecum’s situation there was no evidence of such impairment according to multiple sources.

4. Lawrence A. Herman - Nov 9, 2009 at 8:22 AM

No mention of (Spaceman) Bill Lee? He probably made up the pancake story, but he must have been on something.

5. jonny5 - Nov 9, 2009 at 9:57 AM

Compared to alcohol Marijuana is nothing. Many people die at the hands of intoxicated drivers every day, as far as weed goes??? Well , let’s just say much less. It’s strange that one is legal without the other less dangerous drug being legal as well…. Not that I touch the stuff, but if you use common sense and reason……….

6. BoB MarleY - Nov 9, 2009 at 10:22 AM

don’t inhale, ok mon……

7. allen - Nov 9, 2009 at 10:33 AM

who cares?

8. DFUNK - Nov 9, 2009 at 10:43 AM

If you need poot for med. reason fine, but to make it legal??? Sure alcohol is legal and yo can see the amount of peps that get killed by D. drivers. Whos to say it wont happened with zig zags burners.
    Everyone talks about society and the way is all screwed up but the present generation deals with what he previous one stabled. Why not try to make it better for the next?
    But is never a problem until a family member gets hurt by someone under the influence.

9. DFUNK - Nov 9, 2009 at 10:54 AM

To the comment of who cares??
    I do..
    When kids look see that they become more prome to do it.
    We all had an idol groing up.
    If you got kids and they see this and it doesn’t bug you,Bad language in front of your kids if you have any won’t either.

10. Jackson - Nov 9, 2009 at 11:36 AM

I agree, why should I have to worry about drunk drivers AND stoned drivers. I rather not have to deal with some stoner falling asleep in their car while driving. And as for the “who cares” comment, I care as well. If kids start thinking that pot isn’t a big deal they’d certainly be more inclined to do it. Instead of realizing that it might take away some motivation/ambition that they have in their lives, they might think – if athletes do it, what can it possibly do to me. Allowing it in moderation just isn’t enough for me, I’m glad its illegal.

11. Church of the Perpetually Outraged - Nov 9, 2009 at 12:21 PM

There’s a bridge in SF I’d like to sell you, send me a PM at the email address listed above and I’ll get you in touch with my broker. It’s the steal of the century!

12. HEEL CUPS - Dec 22, 2009 at 7:17 PM

May I congratulate you on this Fantastic work.You have won me over and gained a new fan. in comparison to most works on the world wide web this is a masterpiece, I am very glad that I discovered your article. I shall be linking to this on all my sites.

13. Waltraud Stringham - Jan 31, 2010 at 7:05 PM

It can knock down your offline commercializing prices too if you get it cooked decently. Observing somebody who not only does SEO but does the content conception and distribution for you as well as keyword search, updating content on your internet site and blog, having professionaly written press releases at inferior costs as remarked previous is what suits many small job owners and yet there are many who try out to do it themselves, they get beaten as they dont have the knowledge or the technical sciences to do it rapidly and they lay off. Thank you for this article! I’ve just found a without doubt true site about how to get rich Test it!

14. Treena Hok - Feb 3, 2010 at 12:14 PM

Hello there, superb blog, I truly enjoyed reading it. the blog gave me the kick to try my own blog, please see my blog by clicking my name at the top of this article, Many thanks

15. Bed Frames - Feb 6, 2010 at 11:33 PM

I really love your blog and look forward to your next story. Thanks alot keep up the superior writing.

16. Lilliana Traczyk - Feb 13, 2010 at 11:03 AM

I really like the new take you did on this subject matter. Definitely wasn’t thinking that when I started out studying. Your thoughts were easy to understand that I pondered how come I never looked at it before. Greatful to find out that there is a person out there that definitely knows what he is talking about. Fantastic job!

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto