Nov 9, 2009, 11:47 AM EDT
Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic reports that the Blue Jays have backed away from a nearly completed Lyle Overbay-for-Chris Snyder trade because of concerns about the catcher’s surgically repaired back. Snyder underwent microdiscectomy surgery in September to relieve pressure on a nerve in his back after hitting just .200/.333/.352 this season in his least playing time since 2004.
He’s expected to be ready for spring training, but with two years and $11.25 million remaining on his contract new general manager Alex Anthopoulos apparently decided against taking the risk on a replacement for free agent Rod Barajas. Piecoro speculates that the Diamondbacks will continue to shop Snyder, who’s purely a backup now that Miguel Montero has emerged as the starter, but may have to wait until spring training to find a taker given the uncertainty surrounding his health.
Also look for Anthopoulos to continue shopping Overbay, because while he had a solid season by hitting .265/.372/.466 in 132 games a mediocre all-around first baseman who’s older than the new GM likely isn’t part of the long-term plan. Overbay has one year and $7 million remaining on his contract, so he’d certainly be a decent fit for contenders looking for a short-term fix at first base and obviously Anthopoulos’ asking price isn’t very high.
- Carlos Carrasco has a no-hitter through eight vs. the Rays 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 7
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 30
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 47
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 69
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)