General manager meetings start today in Chicago

Nov 9, 2009, 12:33 PM EDT

Today is the start of the annual general manager meetings in Chicago, which are not to be confused with the far more interesting, action-packed, and media-driven winter meetings that begin next month in Indianapolis.
Bruce Miles of the Arlington Heights Daily Herald has a preview of what the GMs will be up to for the next 72 hours:

With a nod toward the tough economy, baseball’s general managers will give up opulence and luxury for practicality when they convene for their annual meetings, beginning today at O’Hare.

Instead of resorts, golf games and lavish dinners, the GMs figure barely to see the sunshine as they hole up at the nation’s hub airport for a quick gathering that will end at about noon Wednesday. In addition to the regular business discussions and undoubtedly more talk of instant replay, the GMs figure to mix in a little trade talk.

Asked what he expects to happen at the GM meetings, Cardinals boss John Mozeliak said: “My expectation is that this will be much more about MLB business.” Perhaps, but things have gotten off to a very fast start this offseason and it would be surprising if there aren’t at least a couple big moves hammered out over the next few days.

1. comeonman - Nov 9, 2009 at 3:14 PM

Asked what he expects to happen at the GM meetings Brian Cashman
    said ” I WANT ALL THE GENERAL MANAGERS OF THOSE CHEAP TEAMS THAT LOSE EVERY YEAR TO KISS MY YANKEE BUTT “…………
    THE YANKEES ARE CHAMPIONS OF BASEBALL……..AGAIN!

2. comeonman - Nov 9, 2009 at 3:14 PM

Asked what he expects to happen at the GM meetings Brian Cashman
    THE YANKEES ARE CHAMPIONS OF BASEBALL……..AGAIN!

3. John Dubinskas - Nov 9, 2009 at 3:26 PM

The Yankees Should be Champs with all the help they had,from the Umpires. Especially in the ALDS and ALCS.

4. Mo Green - Nov 9, 2009 at 4:29 PM

OMIGOD OMIGOD OMIGOD what is Cash thumbing away about? Look at him, what is he up to? He’s definitely up to something. I don’t like the look in his eyes. Or that ring. Maybe he’s websurfing. Nahhh, he’s making a trade. He looks like he’s making a trade. Look at Herc and Guido in the background, they look like they’re up to no good.
    Holy crap I HAVE to know what he’s thumbing. Is he cutting Jose Molina? THAT’S SEVEN YEARS’ BAD CATCHING LUCK — NEVER CUT A MOLINA.
    Is he resigning Godzilla? OMIGOD I hope he’s not resigning Godzilla. That guy’s really good. Is he resigning Johnny Damon? I hope he’s resigning Johnny Damon because he’s not so good anymore without the steroids. Wait did Johnny Damon ever get busted for steroids? He’s a convicted felon. Well, he ought to be.

5. Old Gator - Nov 9, 2009 at 7:19 PM

I see here where it says the Feesh are going to trade Dan Uggla soon. Good for Dan, bad for us Feesh fans. I wish the guy well wherever he goes. For the first time since opening day in 1993 I went an entire season without attending a single Marlins game, chiefly out of disgust for the penny-pinching policies of the Loria gang. I doubt seriously if I will go to any games this coming year either.
    I’d like to think Marlins fans have been voting with their wallets, but I suspect it’s more a lack of interest than a sea of risen hackles. Loria hasn’t got a clue what it will take to fill that stadium when the answer is right under his nose: let the fans know you want to win, schmuck, and then when you have a good year, be patient and build upon it instead of freaking out and setting yourself back another five years with yet another “dismantling.”

6. Pitts De'Vernis - Nov 10, 2009 at 9:36 PM

You are far too intelligent and eloquent to take part in a ‘blog. If you wish to foresee a devastating break-up of a team, begin with the McCourt marriage, then carrying it over to the business of a team that was sold by FOX due only to the intervention of the Corp. and Selig. A mere freeway up the road, the Dodgers of next year may well look like the Padres of the last few years.

7. Trey Nowling - Jan 17, 2010 at 6:14 AM

Simply want to say your article is impressive. The clarity in your post is simply impressive and i can take for granted you are an expert on this subject. Well with your permission allow me to grab your rss feed to keep up to date with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please keep up the good work.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3466)