Nov 9, 2009, 12:33 PM EDT
Today is the start of the annual general manager meetings in Chicago, which are not to be confused with the far more interesting, action-packed, and media-driven winter meetings that begin next month in Indianapolis.
Bruce Miles of the Arlington Heights Daily Herald has a preview of what the GMs will be up to for the next 72 hours:
With a nod toward the tough economy, baseball’s general managers will give up opulence and luxury for practicality when they convene for their annual meetings, beginning today at O’Hare.
Instead of resorts, golf games and lavish dinners, the GMs figure barely to see the sunshine as they hole up at the nation’s hub airport for a quick gathering that will end at about noon Wednesday. In addition to the regular business discussions and undoubtedly more talk of instant replay, the GMs figure to mix in a little trade talk.
Asked what he expects to happen at the GM meetings, Cardinals boss John Mozeliak said: “My expectation is that this will be much more about MLB business.” Perhaps, but things have gotten off to a very fast start this offseason and it would be surprising if there aren’t at least a couple big moves hammered out over the next few days.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 23
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)