Nov 9, 2009, 12:33 PM EDT
Today is the start of the annual general manager meetings in Chicago, which are not to be confused with the far more interesting, action-packed, and media-driven winter meetings that begin next month in Indianapolis.
Bruce Miles of the Arlington Heights Daily Herald has a preview of what the GMs will be up to for the next 72 hours:
With a nod toward the tough economy, baseball’s general managers will give up opulence and luxury for practicality when they convene for their annual meetings, beginning today at O’Hare.
Instead of resorts, golf games and lavish dinners, the GMs figure barely to see the sunshine as they hole up at the nation’s hub airport for a quick gathering that will end at about noon Wednesday. In addition to the regular business discussions and undoubtedly more talk of instant replay, the GMs figure to mix in a little trade talk.
Asked what he expects to happen at the GM meetings, Cardinals boss John Mozeliak said: “My expectation is that this will be much more about MLB business.” Perhaps, but things have gotten off to a very fast start this offseason and it would be surprising if there aren’t at least a couple big moves hammered out over the next few days.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 3
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 74
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 76
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 100
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (103)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (102)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)
- Jonathan Papelbon blows save, gets ejected for making rude gesture at booing crowd (77)