Nov 9, 2009, 1:10 PM EDT
* After filing for free agency Ivan Rodriguez said that he hopes to play 2-3 more seasons and wants to re-sign with the Rangers. To which general manager Jon Daniels replied: “Pudge had a good return to our organization, but we’re still evaluating other options.” Texas likely wants to see how Jarrod Saltalamacchia is doing following shoulder surgery before deciding anything else at catcher.
* MLB.com’s Mark Bowman writes that Philadelphia is in good shape to defend the NL title again in 2010 with a mostly intact roster, but in addition to declining Pedro Feliz’s option the Phillies announced that they won’t attempt to re-sign Brett Myers.
* I’m sure that Yankees fans won’t like it, but SI.com’s Joe Posnanski wrote a good article about the impact of massive payroll disparities across baseball. During the past six years the Yankees have spent, on average, $55 million more than the second-most expensive team.
* The weekend swap of Carlos Gomez for J.J. Hardy is mostly good news for the Twins, but does create a few negative ramifications.
* Hideki Matsui as the replacement for Ken Griffey Jr. in Seattle? Greg Johns of the Seattle Post-Intelligencer says maybe.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 27
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 48
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 104
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 68
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)