Nov 9, 2009, 1:10 PM EDT
* After filing for free agency Ivan Rodriguez said that he hopes to play 2-3 more seasons and wants to re-sign with the Rangers. To which general manager Jon Daniels replied: “Pudge had a good return to our organization, but we’re still evaluating other options.” Texas likely wants to see how Jarrod Saltalamacchia is doing following shoulder surgery before deciding anything else at catcher.
* MLB.com’s Mark Bowman writes that Philadelphia is in good shape to defend the NL title again in 2010 with a mostly intact roster, but in addition to declining Pedro Feliz’s option the Phillies announced that they won’t attempt to re-sign Brett Myers.
* I’m sure that Yankees fans won’t like it, but SI.com’s Joe Posnanski wrote a good article about the impact of massive payroll disparities across baseball. During the past six years the Yankees have spent, on average, $55 million more than the second-most expensive team.
* The weekend swap of Carlos Gomez for J.J. Hardy is mostly good news for the Twins, but does create a few negative ramifications.
* Hideki Matsui as the replacement for Ken Griffey Jr. in Seattle? Greg Johns of the Seattle Post-Intelligencer says maybe.
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 14
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 12
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 29
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 16
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 61
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (144)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (94)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)