Nov 9, 2009, 1:10 PM EST
* After filing for free agency Ivan Rodriguez said that he hopes to play 2-3 more seasons and wants to re-sign with the Rangers. To which general manager Jon Daniels replied: “Pudge had a good return to our organization, but we’re still evaluating other options.” Texas likely wants to see how Jarrod Saltalamacchia is doing following shoulder surgery before deciding anything else at catcher.
* MLB.com’s Mark Bowman writes that Philadelphia is in good shape to defend the NL title again in 2010 with a mostly intact roster, but in addition to declining Pedro Feliz’s option the Phillies announced that they won’t attempt to re-sign Brett Myers.
* I’m sure that Yankees fans won’t like it, but SI.com’s Joe Posnanski wrote a good article about the impact of massive payroll disparities across baseball. During the past six years the Yankees have spent, on average, $55 million more than the second-most expensive team.
* The weekend swap of Carlos Gomez for J.J. Hardy is mostly good news for the Twins, but does create a few negative ramifications.
* Hideki Matsui as the replacement for Ken Griffey Jr. in Seattle? Greg Johns of the Seattle Post-Intelligencer says maybe.
- Recapping the Winter Meetings and looking ahead to the rest of the offseason 0
- Could baseball return to Montreal? 33
- Report: Rockies nearing a multi-year deal with Boone Logan 4
- Highlights from the Robinson Cano news conference 29
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 31
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (134)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)