Nov 9, 2009, 12:53 AM EST
According to a report from SI.com’s Jon Heyman, the mother of former big league pitcher Victor Zambrano was kidnapped sometime Sunday morning from Zambrano’s farm outside of Maracay, Venezuela.
The information came to Heyman via a telephone call from Zambrano’s agent Peter Greenburg.
Earlier this summer in Venezuela, the son of Colorado Rockies catcher Yorvit Torrealba – as well as two of his uncles – were kidnapped. They were later rescued, and Torrealba moved his family to Florida.
Zambrano finished up a seven-year big league career in 2007, compiling a 45-44 record and 4.64 ERA with Tampa Bay, the New York Mets, Toronto and Baltimore.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 322
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (328)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)