Nov 9, 2009, 2:51 PM EDT
In a pair of no-brainer decisions for 2010, the Red Sox have exercised their $7.1 million option on Victor Martinez and declined their $6 million option on Alex Gonzalez.
Acquired from the Indians at the trading deadline, Martinez hit .336/.405/.507 with 41 RBIs in 56 games for the Red Sox while splitting time between catcher and first base. He’ll be Boston’s starting catcher in 2010, but also figures to see action at first base and designated hitter thanks to Jason Varitek likely returning via a $3 million player option.
Martinez isn’t much of a defender behind the plate, throwing out just 14 percent of steal attempts this year and 24 percent for his career, but as a 30-year-old switch-hitter with a .299/.372/.465 career line he’s among the best-hitting catchers in baseball history. Looking at all catchers through the age of 30 he ranks 14th in RBIs, 17th in Runs Created, 19th in adjusted OPS+, and 20th in extra-base hits. He hits like a first baseman and plays a passable catcher, which makes Martinez hugely valuable.
As for Gonzalez, the vast majority of his value comes from a good glove. He was with the Marlins for eight seasons before a one-year stint with the Red Sox and then signed a three-year, $14 million contract with the Reds. He had a career-year in 2007, batting .272/.325/.468 with 16 homers, but missed all of 2008 with a fractured knee and struggled mightily after returning this year. He hit just .210/.258/.296 before the Reds traded him to the Red Sox, but then hit .284/.316/.453 as Boston’s starting shortstop.
Gonzalez has been wildly inconsistent but mostly terrible offensively throughout his career, hitting .247/.294/.395 in 11 seasons, but makes up for it with consistently excellent defense that even graded out well after the injury. He’s obviously no great shakes, but this offseason’s crop of free-agent shortstops is incredibly underwhelming and he’d be a reasonable short-term option for teams not interested in overpaying for someone like Miguel Tejada or Marco Scutaro.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (136)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)