Nov 9, 2009, 9:25 AM EDT
Because there hasn’t been a ton of baseball news in recent days, a lot of folks were talking about Sammy Sosa’s complexion: as in, he looked like a cross between later period Michael Jackson and a zombie when he showed up at the Latin Grammy Awards over the weekend. No worries, says a friend of his, he’s just a victim of a chemical peel and some harsh flashbulbs:
“He is going through a rejuvenation process for his skin. Women have it
all of the time. He was surprised he came out looking so white. I
thought it was a body double. Part of [the photo appearance] is just
the lighting.” Polihronis said Sosa told her the photos are deceiving.
“He was doing a dermatological skin process after years and years [of
playing baseball] in the sun,” Polihronis said. “It did come out
looking weird” in the photos.
Certainly not the first time we’ve seen a radical transformation from Sosa. Last time we were told that it was a function of weights, aging and flax seed oil or some such nonsense, so we have absolutely no reason to doubt the explanation for the Sosa’s current new look.
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 32
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 20
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 47
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 50
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)