Nov 9, 2009, 10:54 AM EST
That’s odd to hear. The Rangers never have pitching to spare. In fact, the entire modern history of the Texas Rangers has been a distinct lack of pitching. Until last year, that is, when they were suddenly strong in that department. MLB.com’s T.R. Sullivan, however, describes the putative strength from which Texas could deal:
The Rangers know that Kevin Millwood (13-10, 3.67 ERA) and Scott Feldman (17-8, 4.08) are their top two starters. They are committed to Tommy Hunter (9-6, 4.10) and Derek Holland (8-13, 6.12) in the middle of the rotation.
McCarthy (7-4, 4.62) ended the season as the fifth starter, but the Rangers are talking about moving Neftali Feliz into the rotation. They also know that they have Matt Harrison and Eric Hurley coming back from shoulder surgery. They know that Dustin Nippert was 3-3 with a 4.65 ERA in 10 starts, and Guillermo Moscoso was 5-4 with a 2.31 ERA at Triple-A Oklahoma. They have talked about moving C.J. Wilson into the rotation as well.
Having too many pitchers is certainly a nice problem to have, but if you’re a Rangers fan don’t get too excited: this time last year the Rangers allegedly had too many catchers and were going to use them to address weaknesses. Then at the trade deadline they were dealing for Pudge Rodriguez. The lesson: you can’t plan for a damn thing in this league.
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 0
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 338
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (338)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)