Nov 9, 2009, 10:54 AM EST
That’s odd to hear. The Rangers never have pitching to spare. In fact, the entire modern history of the Texas Rangers has been a distinct lack of pitching. Until last year, that is, when they were suddenly strong in that department. MLB.com’s T.R. Sullivan, however, describes the putative strength from which Texas could deal:
The Rangers know that Kevin Millwood (13-10, 3.67 ERA) and Scott Feldman (17-8, 4.08) are their top two starters. They are committed to Tommy Hunter (9-6, 4.10) and Derek Holland (8-13, 6.12) in the middle of the rotation.
McCarthy (7-4, 4.62) ended the season as the fifth starter, but the Rangers are talking about moving Neftali Feliz into the rotation. They also know that they have Matt Harrison and Eric Hurley coming back from shoulder surgery. They know that Dustin Nippert was 3-3 with a 4.65 ERA in 10 starts, and Guillermo Moscoso was 5-4 with a 2.31 ERA at Triple-A Oklahoma. They have talked about moving C.J. Wilson into the rotation as well.
Having too many pitchers is certainly a nice problem to have, but if you’re a Rangers fan don’t get too excited: this time last year the Rangers allegedly had too many catchers and were going to use them to address weaknesses. Then at the trade deadline they were dealing for Pudge Rodriguez. The lesson: you can’t plan for a damn thing in this league.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)