Nov 9, 2009, 10:54 AM EDT
That’s odd to hear. The Rangers never have pitching to spare. In fact, the entire modern history of the Texas Rangers has been a distinct lack of pitching. Until last year, that is, when they were suddenly strong in that department. MLB.com’s T.R. Sullivan, however, describes the putative strength from which Texas could deal:
The Rangers know that Kevin Millwood (13-10, 3.67 ERA) and Scott Feldman (17-8, 4.08) are their top two starters. They are committed to Tommy Hunter (9-6, 4.10) and Derek Holland (8-13, 6.12) in the middle of the rotation.
McCarthy (7-4, 4.62) ended the season as the fifth starter, but the Rangers are talking about moving Neftali Feliz into the rotation. They also know that they have Matt Harrison and Eric Hurley coming back from shoulder surgery. They know that Dustin Nippert was 3-3 with a 4.65 ERA in 10 starts, and Guillermo Moscoso was 5-4 with a 2.31 ERA at Triple-A Oklahoma. They have talked about moving C.J. Wilson into the rotation as well.
Having too many pitchers is certainly a nice problem to have, but if you’re a Rangers fan don’t get too excited: this time last year the Rangers allegedly had too many catchers and were going to use them to address weaknesses. Then at the trade deadline they were dealing for Pudge Rodriguez. The lesson: you can’t plan for a damn thing in this league.
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 0
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 33
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 47
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 26
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 73
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)