Nov 9, 2009, 9:57 AM EDT
There’s no CC Sabathia available this offseason, but between John Lackey, Roy Halladay and Javier Vazquez, there are at least three options available for a team looking to upgrade the rotation. ESPN’s Buster Olney looks at possible landing pads for each of them.
There are no perfect fits, but Olney likes Lackey in Milwaukee of all places. It actually makes sense though given their needs and the fact that they did offer CC Sabathia a lot of money last year. I suppose there’s a chance that that was a phony offer and that they’d never be willing to pay $100 million for a pitcher, but at the very least it shows some guts on Doug Melvin’s part, and guts come right after money when it comes to the things a team needs to land a big fish like Lackey.
Olney goes to to discuss the possibilities of Roy Halladay being traded to either the Rangers or the Angels. Those scenarios seem less plausible, mostly because it strikes me as more likely that the Jays would hold on to Doc until next year, hoping to leverage more out of him at the deadline than they could expect right now.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 30
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 48
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 67
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 49
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 90
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (103)