Nov 9, 2009, 9:57 AM EDT
There’s no CC Sabathia available this offseason, but between John Lackey, Roy Halladay and Javier Vazquez, there are at least three options available for a team looking to upgrade the rotation. ESPN’s Buster Olney looks at possible landing pads for each of them.
There are no perfect fits, but Olney likes Lackey in Milwaukee of all places. It actually makes sense though given their needs and the fact that they did offer CC Sabathia a lot of money last year. I suppose there’s a chance that that was a phony offer and that they’d never be willing to pay $100 million for a pitcher, but at the very least it shows some guts on Doug Melvin’s part, and guts come right after money when it comes to the things a team needs to land a big fish like Lackey.
Olney goes to to discuss the possibilities of Roy Halladay being traded to either the Rangers or the Angels. Those scenarios seem less plausible, mostly because it strikes me as more likely that the Jays would hold on to Doc until next year, hoping to leverage more out of him at the deadline than they could expect right now.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 42
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 36
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 87
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 17
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 21
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)